Synergy

Debate Synergy 2 for Web Debate

One, This is a great system. I just downloaded it and am starting to figure it out, but I have a question. The expando system is confusing me a little bit. Is the expando intended to be used for one argument (e.g. every DA gets it's own expando), or do you use them as like one expando for DA's and then put da's in the pockets. I've tried the latter but it doesn't seem to work out too well as the file becomes hund?eds of pages long and the document map gets all messed up and jumbled together at points.

One, This is a great system. I just downloaded it and am starting to figure it out, but I have a question. The expando system is confusing me a little bit. Is the expando intended to be used for one argument (e.g. every DA gets it's own expando), or do you use them as like one expando for DA's and then put da's in the pockets. I've tried the latter but it doesn't seem to work out too well as the file becomes hund?eds of pages long and the document map gets all messed up and jumbled together at points.

one argument per expando - just like a real expando

is there is a specific button or hot key to get formatting for the tag? i see block header and the cite creator and such... but not that...

is there is a specific button or hot key to get formatting for the tag? i see block header and the cite creator and such... but not that...

I noticed this as well. It's sorta easy, since it's just bolded, so sorta, but it would be nice to have a larger button than the bold "b" button which is sorta small.

Well the reason I didn't include one is because there is nothing more to that macro than Ctrl+B. If you have something unique about your tag macro, remember you can use DS with your current template, and have both your current templates and DS's macros available.

Is there a way to turn off the F2 macro? I rarely use the comment, and the normal function of the F2 key is to edit that current cell, which lets you change the text of a cell without retyping it or double clicking on it.

Is there a way to turn off the F2 macro? I rarely use the comment, and the normal function of the F2 key is to edit that current cell, which lets you change the text of a cell without retyping it or double clicking on it.

Sure, but it requires a bit of code manipulation...

file>open "Book.xltm" (it should give you a warning message)

alt f11

in the right-hand sidepanel, expand Modules > d8_main

remove the line .OnKey "{F2}", "D8_Comment"

save and close

I’ve just released a new version of Debate Synergy, with some small updates to the flow template, such as a “bottomline” bar to address the issue about forgetting to scroll down when you flow on the laptop. Cite request macro can now do multiple cards. But most importantly:

THE FLOW TEMPLATE NOW WORKS WITH EXCEL 2003

Also, check out some tutorial videos that Scott Phillips did: http://www.the3nr.com/2009/11/09/debate-synergy-videos

I did have a question. When I copy parts of my flow to my speech, the colors don't go with it. It looked like it did in the tutorial videos you posted on Vimeo, I'm wondering if the updated version does it or something?

I did have a question. When I copy parts of my flow to my speech, the colors don't go with it. It looked like it did in the tutorial videos you posted on Vimeo, I'm wondering if the updated version does it or something?
Those videos were made on 9/5, about two months before the actual release on 10/20. In that period, several features were removed as I tested it for compatibility and stability. It is possible that that feature might return in the future.

I have a macbook pro and I really want to run this program. Unlike the others, I read what you said about macs needing to run parallels or bootcamp. How do I go about this? Am I going to have to buy windows 7 and office just to use synergy? Is there a future mac version of synergy in the cards?

I have a macbook pro and I really want to run this program. Unlike the others, I read what you said about macs needing to run parallels or bootcamp. How do I go about this? Am I going to have to buy windows 7 and office just to use synergy? Is there a future mac version of synergy in the cards?

Yes to both. You already have Bootcamp installed, but would need to acquire some Windows version and Office 2007. I've heard that Mac Office 2010 might be released in December of next year; we shall see if it includes support for macros and the new toolbar interface, it most likely will according to tech rumor sites that I read.

Edited by Synergy

Two questions:

How do you make the tubs you want (like name them aff, neg, etc)?

How do you subdivide the tubs?

The tubs are just the folders in your Debate Folder (which is set in DS Options). The tubs are only used by the Tub Search feature and have no connection to the Expando system. It's not like you can subdivide your expandos by the Tubs-- all expandos go into the Expandos folder and appear at once.

The tubs are just the folders in your Debate Folder (which is set in DS Options). The tubs are only used by the Tub Search feature and have no connection to the Expando system. It's not like you can subdivide your expandos by the Tubs-- all expandos go into the Expandos folder and appear at once.

This feature would be a sick update

according to all of the videos you are able to subdivide the debate tub that is shown i am not asking about expandos simply how to organize the debate tub into files like the new upgrade is supposed to have

http://georgetowndebateseminar.wikispaces.com/synergy

this URL has a video about the virtual tub system i want to know how exactly to do this

Edited by littlelibero

according to all of the videos you are able to subdivide the debate tub that is shown i am not asking about expandos simply how to organize the debate tub into files like the new upgrade is supposed to have

http://georgetowndebateseminar.wikispaces.com/synergy

this URL has a video about the virtual tub system i want to know how exactly to do this

You need to create a folder on your computer (you need to organize all of this yourself, outside of Word) that has all of your debate files, and you need to subdivide that into folders however you want, such as "camp files", "backfiles", etc. Then in DS Options you need to set the Debate Folder to be that folder. All the subfolders in that folder on your computer will appear in the dropdown. See manual for more details.

This feature would be a sick update

I did originally want to sync up the Tub drop list and the Expandos drop down, but I ran into some Office bugs that hopefully will be fixed in Office 2010. In a future release, I might try to write a three-level dropdown of Tub > Expando > Pocket, although that would take more clicks. Any subfolder in the Expandos folder would be a "Tub" in the drop down, but you could still have "Tub-less" expandos directly in the dropdown if you place them directly in the Expandos folder.

In the status quo, DS still has some difficulties with turning longer files into expandos (conversion takes a while), but I'm looking into the best solutions to being able to see long documents at once without having to split them.

Edited by Synergy

Any chance you will make a version that is compatible with OpenOffice? Or will this one work?

It will not. I have not worked extensively with OpenOffice macros, but I welcome anyone that has this programing expertise to make a port of DS for OpenOffice or Mac Office. My future plans are focused on MS Office for now.

You need to create a folder on your computer (you need to organize all of this yourself, outside of Word) that has all of your debate files, and you need to subdivide that into folders however you want, such as "camp files", "backfiles", etc. Then in DS Options you need to set the Debate Folder to be that folder. All the subfolders in that folder on your computer will appear in the dropdown. See manual for more details.

I did originally want to sync up the Tub drop list and the Expandos drop down, but I ran into some Office bugs that hopefully will be fixed in Office 2010. In a future release, I might try to write a three-level dropdown of Tub > Expando > Pocket, although that would take more clicks. Any subfolder in the Expandos folder would be a "Tub" in the drop down, but you could still have "Tub-less" expandos directly in the dropdown if you place them directly in the Expandos folder.

In the status quo, DS still has some difficulties with turning longer files into expandos (conversion takes a while), but I'm looking into the best solutions to being able to see long documents at once without having to split them.

Is it possible to have multiple expando buttons on the toolbar, maybe that store to different folders, so at least you could have rudimentary division- like aff/neg/k?

Is it possible to have multiple expando buttons on the toolbar, maybe that store to different folders, so at least you could have rudimentary division- like aff/neg/k?

It seems as though this would take up semi-valuable toolbar space. I think a possibility would be to have two different toolbars on the Office "ribbon": one for speech prep/in-debate work, and one for out-of-debate prep work (i.e. cutting cards, organizing files, creating expandos, etc.). The formatting macros can be on one, and the digital tub/expando system/timer/send-to-speech functions on the other.

I haven't found any difficulty with the current suggestion Alex makes, which is adding a prefix to every expando in your expando folder, such as

AFF LSC 2AC Disads

AFF LSC 2AC Counterplans

K Cap

K Spanos

CP XO

DISAD Health Care

etc.

Just my two cents.

I think a possibility would be to have two different toolbars on the Office "ribbon": one for speech prep/in-debate work, and one for out-of-debate prep work (i.e. cutting cards, organizing files, creating expandos, etc.). The formatting macros can be on one, and the digital tub/expando system/timer/send-to-speech functions on the other.

I would like this very much.

you'd think so, but no. the way MS designed it is very "opposite of sensible", ie all template toolbar buttons must be programmed in advance and can't change like that big Styles bar does. there's a small hack where you can dynamically change a menu drop list if the icon is small (but not if the icon is big... seriously) and i've exploited that to make probably the most advanced template interface possible.

something like a second context-dependent speech tab is possible (like the image tab that appears only when you select an image), but it'd have to have a set number of tubs, and they'd only be small icons... so it'd be one less click that with the expandos dropdown but with less functionality.

i think for now naming things by argument first is easiest solution, but i definitely like these new and innovative ideas you all are suggesting.

SP has also suggested the idea of auto-collapsible block subpoints/cards. the way some people have [ ] at the start of the tag, you could have a checkbox placed with a macro next to each number on a block and when clicked it'd collapse the card.

Edited by Synergy