Synergy

Debate Synergy 2 for Web Debate

Update: “Things appear to be working”

Some users experienced compatibility issues upon installation (library not found). It took me a day to identify and solve this problem. Major thanks to Scott Phillips (debate coach) for helping me test out the solutions.

Please download DS 1.0.3 here: http://georgetowndebateseminar.wikispaces.com/synergy

Some issues are to be expected in the initial release of a Microsoft-based product, so don’t get frustrated if things don’t work – keep reporting them and I hope to have any remaining issues solved in a week or so.

Edited by Synergy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Alex, downloaded v2, still not finding the library, and the vb debugger keeps highlighting the same line of code I mentioned in my email this morning. Just a heads up.

Ben.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Alex, downloaded v2, still not finding the library, and the vb debugger keeps highlighting the same line of code I mentioned in my email this morning. Just a heads up.

Ben.

This quote may be refrencing the fact that you do not have a microsoft voice library, ie. your computer is not capable of talking. If you go to the tools secion and open the reference page, you can scroll down to the bottom and turn off the voice system. The only thing it affects is the timer. After that, I had no problems with the system...

Although, I am having difficulties using the expando system, but I am not sure that is not user error yet, or programing deficiences... I wil see.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I turned off the Text-to-Speech library by default in the 1.0.3 release. Try that out and also this version might fix the Expando System errors as well.

Please report future bugs via email. For me to solve the issue, you need to include the details I request on the installation page.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

is anyone else having a problem with this not being a folder?

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART

try finding your program files folder - generally C:\program files\

then try to find XLSTART in the MSO install folder

that is, if you want it to load the flowing template when you start excel.

you can just put book.xltm on your desktop, and then you'd have to double click it each time you wish to use the flow.

you can do the same thing for the word template, just rename it to anything other than normal.dotm and double-click it to use it, but i thought it's probably more convenient if you install it to run at startup

Edited by Synergy

quick question: I heard if you use the Excel it would number your flow. How do you enable this feature or use it? I couldn't figure it out

See manual -- skip two lines between the arguments in the 2ac column for offcase flows or in the 1nc column for oncase flows.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ozmtyrljmyb

Try this version of the flow template -- it addresses the problem that Roy Levkovitz brought up, the fact that debaters that flow on the laptop drop arguments because they forget to scroll down.

There is a down arrow below each number and a fading line that is always at the bottom of the flow.

Edited by Synergy

Is the flow template usable without the full program, and if so are there any OS/version of office requirements?

The excel flow template file and the word template file are the full program... they can be used separately, and the requirements are listed above.

Is there any way of getting this set up to work with macs? I'm worse than useless at coding things, otherwise I would probably take a shot at it myself. It seems like something I would use alot, but it doesn't appear to work with macs...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Synergy again.

Is there any way of getting this set up to work with macs? I'm worse than useless at coding things, otherwise I would probably take a shot at it myself. It seems like something I would use alot, but it doesn't appear to work with macs...

See the description -- Mac users should use Bootcamp or Parallels to run Windows.

Mac is a type of PC. Macs can run operating systems like Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, etc. You can't run the Debate Synergy macros for the Windows version of Microsoft Office 2007 in Mac OS X because the different operating systems support entirely different programming languages.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

See the description -- Mac users should use Bootcamp or Parallels to run Windows.

Mac is a type of PC. Macs can run operating systems like Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, etc. You can't run the Debate Synergy macros for the Windows version of Microsoft Office 2007 in Mac OS X because the different operating systems support entirely different programming languages.

Mac OS X is what I meant. and I don't have windows available to install. I was hoping for simplicity sake there might be a version for Mac OS X.

We can't even have computers in rounds in my area, but this is still a great download. It makes cutting evidence SO much easier and faster. Unfortunately, I must spread reputation before I give it to Synergy again.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Synergy again.

multiply this by 1,000,000,000

• Downvote 1