Sign in to follow this  
tennisfool412

Paperless Question

I have looked through all of the threads with the phrase, paperless, so if I missed the answer to this question, I apologize.

Our team is going paperless this year - so, as a result, I am trying to get all of our files (both this years and backfiles) into the Cal debate template so that they retain the macros. However, whenever I try to distribute these files or get them on other computers, the macros are stripped and it turns into a regular document. This happens with email, jumpdrives, drop box, and through AIM transfers.

Does anyone know exactly what the problem is? I can not find out why this is happening. I have tried the Whitman template too, but the same exact thing happens.

You have to copy the macros from the template to the normal template (at least, I'm 90% sure that's what it is).

What version of Word are you using?

Oh, I have no idea about Word 07. I use Word 2003.

Ok, the template that you downloaded is a stand-alone template. It's a set of instructions that are independent of the actual Word program. The "normal" template is the one that comes default with word, and it's what Word opens each document with by default.

When you transfer all of the macros and styles over to the "normal" template, you take all of that formatting with you when you transfer it between computers because it's all self-contained.

When you use the Cal template, you are making the text on the page independent of the styles, meaning that whatever you type on the page's styling only has context in that template. When you move between computers, all of that is erased because it doesn't have the "instructions" (styles and macros) to construct how it should look.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, that does make sense to me.

So how do I create a normal template then? Do I just save the Cal template as a Macros-enabled template? That didn't work when I tried it...

No, you can find somewhere that you can transfer the macros and styles over to the "normal" template. I have no idea where it is on that particular version of word, but look somewhere near where you can alter macros and look for an "organize" button that should let you transfer over the macros.