kdizzle

Funding Specification

I was wondering whether or not it was truly necessary to specify the amount and source of funding in an aff. I know this can depend on the circuit/league but I was just looking for some general feedback and opinions on the topic. Does specifying a source of funding (i.e. cigarette tax increase) and not simply stating "by normal means" help in dodging links to spending DAs (sadly cig tax is regressive) or am I not even close?

Also, does anyone have any funding ideas, particulary for an education or broadband aff?

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment

It mostly depends on your circuit. If it's a more lay-centric circuit, then it would benefit you to describe EVERYTHING. But if you're a circuit with more college debaters as judges or other experienced people, then a "Text: The USFG should [insert mandates]." would do just fine. Just specify funding if they ask in cross-x.

As for funding mechanisms, I tax water bottles and toilet paper. It works, it's simple, and it generates a fair amount of money.

As for funding mechanisms, I tax water bottles and toilet paper. It works, it's simple, and it generates a fair amount of money.

It seems to me that this is pretty extra topical.

Funding is funding. It's 50/50 normal means and a toilet paper/water bottle tax. I pretty much just choose one at random when people ask me in-round.

Guest tl dr
Funding is funding. It's 50/50 normal means and a toilet paper/water bottle tax. I pretty much just choose one at random when people ask me in-round.

• Upvote 1

On the national circuit it is usually unnecessary, and probably risky, to specify where the funding for your plan comes from. Most judges are not interested in voting on an argument like F-spec, but they will probably be willing to vote on extra-topicality if you specify where the money comes from. They'll think you're using it to spike out of spending DAs and the like.

I do debate in a "lay-centric" league, so I guess I'll have to look for some funding or simply include a "normal means" clause. That could suffice as well.

In that case, are there any potential issues with a normal means clause, besides a budget deficit or ptx DA?

only if they claimed that those taxes are good otherwise no harm, no foul.