TheSecretSquirrel

Ghost Bid

Can someone explain ghost bids to me? My friends and I were really confused on how to get them and what they do

To my knowledge, When a school hits their own school in a bid round, one team gets walked over while the other gets a bid for competing in the next round. The team that is walked over gets a ghost bid.

If two teams from the same school reach a bid round, only one may advance. However, the other team will get a "ghost bid" that adds to their bid count.

Example: USC is a TOC qualifier at the quarterfinal level, so teams must win their octofinal round to bid. If two teams from, say, Damien are paired against each other in octos, they will pick one to advance to quarters (thus securing a bid) and the other will be eliminated from the tournament, but receives a "ghost bid" in the process.

it's when a school auctions off one of their minority debaters. The strongest, and fittest debater that is auctioned off gets a "bid".

They can use that bid to take the ship back to their respective country,

I'm glad I could help.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If two teams from the same school reach a bid round, only one may advance. However, the other team will get a "ghost bid" that adds to their bid count.

Example: USC is a TOC qualifier at the quarterfinal level, so teams must win their octofinal round to bid. If two teams from, say, Damien are paired against each other in octos, they will pick one to advance to quarters (thus securing a bid) and the other will be eliminated from the tournament, but receives a "ghost bid" in the process.

The additional provision is that you have to win one elim round prior to the bid round to get a ghost bid. So for USC, it would have to break to doubles

Additionally, ghost bids do not have the same weight as regular bids. That is to say, let's say hypothetically 71 teams in the nations got the 2 bids required to go to the TOC. However, the TOC always has 70 and ONLY 70 teams in every event. The 1 team that didn't qualify would be selected from the teams who got ghost bids, as opposed to the teams who got 2 full-fledged bids.

The ghost bid is when two debaters from the same school hit each other in the bid round of the tournament. The debater that 'walks over' the other debater (wins) automatically gets the bid, but his or her teammate only gets the bid if he or she wins his or her next round. I believe that it's a check on the amount of bids handed out at a tournament, I don't particularly agree with that method, but to each his or her own.

EDIT: Apparently this is wrong. I learned something today, and knowing is half the battle.

Edited by Richard (Not Nixon)

The ghost bid is when two debaters from the same school hit each other in the bid round of the tournament. The debater that 'walks over' the other debater (wins) automatically gets the bid, but his teammate only gets the bid if he wins his next round. I believe that it's a check on the amount of bids handed out at a tournament, I don't particularly agree with that method, but to each his own.

False. And gender normative.