Dr. Octagon

Greatest Musician of All Time?

I think i might go with BB King. Even though he has no musical knowledge and not the best chops, he plays with more soul than anyone ever has, that's what i think a true musician is

Tupac. And I don't even like rap. I tend to despise rap, but Tupac.

Is it a crime, to fight, for what is mine?

Everybody's dyin tell me what's the use of tryin

I've been Trapped since birth, cautious, cause I'm cursed

And fantasies of my family, in a hearse

And they say it's the white man I should fear

But, it's my own kind doin all the killin here

I can't lie, ain't no love for the other side

Jealousy inside, make em wish I died

Oh my Lord, tell me what I'm livin for

Everybody's droppin got me knockin on heaven's door

And all my memories, of seein brothers bleed

And everybody grieves, but still nobody sees

Recollect your thoughts don't get caught up in the mix

Cause the media is full of dirty tricks

Only God can judge me

Edited by Mayor McCheese

Tupac. And I don't even like rap. I tend to despise rap, but Tupac.

Mozart - even though he couldn't play "Louie, Louie" or "Stairway to Heaven."

Bet you're happy as a pig in shit right now, given the current score between UHouston and Oklahoma State.

Edited by Mayor McCheese

That's what I was going to say! So I second that nomination. Mozart was a revolutionary genius plus he makes babies smarter!

Anyone who answers this question with anything but Mozart needs their head examined. I can get that other musicians might be more in line with your tastes, but any kind of objective analysis of how much quality music was produced by an individual will come to W.A. Mozart as the greatest musician of all time (yet). He wrote operas, Symphonies, concertas, chamber music of all kinds and was doing it from early childhood.

Anyone who answers this question with anything but Mozart needs their head examined. I can get that other musicians might be more in line with your tastes, but any kind of objective analysis of how much quality music was produced by an individual will come to W.A. Mozart as the greatest musician of all time (yet). He wrote operas, Symphonies, concertas, chamber music of all kinds and was doing it from early childhood.

b.o.b is young, just you wait and see

I'm not sure this question can be answered.. music has changed so much in the past 400 years that it's impossible to say Mozart is better than someone like Miles Davis because he can compose. I'm probably sure Davis was a better improvisor than Mozart even though Mozart could play the piano blindfolded at the age of 4.

<sarcasm>But in all honesty, Insane Clown Posse</sarcasm>

John Coltrane hands down in my books.

Of course Coltrane was incredible (although my enthusiasm wanes considerably for any recording made after The John Coltrane Quartet Plays...), but why was he "greater" muscician than, say, Charlie Parker?

I'm probably sure Davis was a better improvisor than Mozart even though Mozart could play the piano blindfolded at the age of 4.

Don't be so sure. By all accounts, Mozart was one hell of an improviser (as were most classical muscicians until roughly the turn of the twentieth century). Strict adherence to the score as written is a fairly recent phenomenon in classical music.

That said, the whole question seems silly. Even making comparisons across genres of music is difficult, much less across all time and in all instances.

Mozart, for example, was an effortless composer who was considered a virtuoso performer in his time. Within two generations, however, Franz Liszt was demolishing all previous barriers as to what was thought to be possible with the piano (part of which had to do with technical advances in the instrument itself-- Mozart's fortepiano was closer to a harpsichord in action and sound than to a modern grand). He was the prototype (along with the violinist Niccolò Paganini) for the modern virtuoso performer, a tradition that stretches to the present day. Liszt was also no slouch in the composing department either (the list of his compositions numbers in the hundreds), and although nobody would seriously argue Liszt was a "better" composer, his harmonic innovations were arguably an hundred years ahead of their time, allowing one to make the case that he was actually the more influential of the two.

Identifying who was "greater" among the greats seems an exercise in personal subjectivity (if not outright futility).

Matt