STADB9

Kansas debate Twitter experiment

There has been some interest expressed in the creation of a Kansas Debate Twitter account, with the ultimate goal of providing timely updates on our collective performance at national tournaments, including NFL and CFL. To that end, a Twitter account has been created at KSDebate.

As I am something of an imbecile when it comes to these newfangled electrical devices, I'd welcome suggestions and discussions of this idea in this threat or at Ad Astra: http://z3.invisionfree.com/Ad_Astra/index.php?showtopic=91&st=0last.

The tentative plan is to begin the process at Washburn Rural and to experiment with it throughout the season with the ultimate goal of having a workable system with multiple on-site correspondents by the national tournament in May/June.

• Upvote 1

It seems to me that a free wordpress.com blog that has an autofeed to a twitter might be more useful for you over the longer term.

It would allow you to cut and paste tournament results into the wordpress blog for all to access. You could do the same with breaks for tournaments and tournament schedule.

You can set up a free wordpress blog in about 5 to 7 minutes (the same time it takes to set up a Facebook or email account) and probably another 3 to 5 to add in the auto-post function.

Basically it gives you more flexibility beyond 140 characters, although it does mean the text messages aren't as helpful without internet access.

This solution however is a both and. In that you can still post to the twitter page independently of the wordpress blog.

I hope this meets your needs better.

Edited by nathan_debate
  • Upvote 1

Great. I hope everything works out. The first service I saw which performs an autopost service is Twitter Feed.

Brandon Sheets, who has worked on the Open Evidence Project (essentially heading up the digital side of things from my understanding), may have other ideas for you.

A quick note: there's been some technical difficulty with the twitter account due to my luddite stupidity, but I think I'm close to a point now where it should at least be functional, and I'll be getting help from smarter people shortly.

The initial plan is to provide information on the breaks at WaRu immediately AFTER their announcement at the awards assembly, and if the host coach gives me permission to do so. Those who won't be in attendence but who are interested in getting results as they happen should enter "FOLLOW ksdebate" on twitter.

Should STA be eliminated early, I'll be seeking people to serve as correspondents for live updates of subsequent elims. Anyone interested should backchannel me for contact info. This applies also to people who can provide live results for tournaments other than WaRu.

Edited by STADB9

The initial plan is to provide information on the breaks at WaRu immediately AFTER their announcement at the awards assembly, and if the host coach gives me permission to do so.
Why would you need permission from anyone AFTER an announcement at awards? Isn't the cat pretty much out of the informational bag at that point?

Well, one thing I'm trying to be clear on is that this is supposed to be a service which makes already released information publicly available. I'm not going to be releasing breaks prior to the awards assembly in any case because that would mean that kids on-site would be getting results from somebody other than their coaches. That would be obnoxious.

As for post-assembly, I think that coaches ought to have the ability to control the public release of tournament information; many like to do so through this board or by other means. I don't know that anybody will object, but I always intend to ask, and I expect that anyone else working as part of the network will observe the same courtesy.

The long-term goal is to have participating coaches share their NFL and CFL Nats entry codes with a central correspondent who will be able to inform the entire community of results as soon as the postings go up (without revealing the codes themselves). Since we're asking people to share sensitive information with us, I think it's important from the get-go that we demonstrate that we respect people's informational privacy.

This will no doubt strike some outside observers as strange, but they should bear in mind that Kansas has some specific traditions with regard to tournament secrecy--closed tab rooms, teams competing under codes that theoretically disguise the identity of the schools involved, and so forth. I'm not seeking to change those traditions; I'm seeking to expedite the live sharing of results while respecting people's ability to control their own information.

Well, one thing I'm trying to be clear on is that this is supposed to be a service which makes already released information publicly available. I'm not going to be releasing breaks prior to the awards assembly in any case because that would mean that kids on-site would be getting results from somebody other than their coaches. That would be obnoxious.

As for post-assembly, I think that coaches ought to have the ability to control the public release of tournament information; many like to do so through this board or by other means. I don't know that anybody will object, but I always intend to ask, and I expect that anyone else working as part of the network will observe the same courtesy.

The long-term goal is to have participating coaches share their NFL and CFL Nats entry codes with a central correspondent who will be able to inform the entire community of results as soon as the postings go up (without revealing the codes themselves). Since we're asking people to share sensitive information with us, I think it's important from the get-go that we demonstrate that we respect people's informational privacy.

This will no doubt strike some outside observers as strange, but they should bear in mind that Kansas has some specific traditions with regard to tournament secrecy--closed tab rooms, teams competing under codes that theoretically disguise the identity of the schools involved, and so forth. I'm not seeking to change those traditions; I'm seeking to expedite the live sharing of results while respecting people's ability to control their own information.

I think that if a team decides to say what their code is, then that is up to them. Not sure that the tournament can do much of anything about it.

I understand that you want to respect the wishes of some tournaments to let them announce breaks, etc. but those things circulate via phone calls and text message anyway. Adding twitter is just the same as having a mass text list that you send information to. Not something that can necessarily be controlled, no matter how much anyone tries.

Well, it is certainly the case that teams may disclose their own codes if they wish, and that a great deal of information gets out one way or another.

I'm not saying that's necessarily bad. The only thing I'm saying is that the Twitter account specifically will be respecting the will of tournament hosts to maintain informational privacy if they so choose.

I'm not trying to control information in any way. I'm sure people will want to maintain access to other sources of live results as well. My objective is to add a centralized and relatively authoritative source of immediate results to the existing rumor mill. At nationals in particular, I've often felt the need for one; witness, for instance, the impossibility of tracking Olathe North at last year's NFL, with multiple contradictory results postings flying around. Same deal with Hutchinson at CFL three years ago.

Edited by STADB9

Well it seems if people are so excited to know who broke at waru live it would seem logical that they would also be (and should be much more) interested to know what the aff was and what the generic neg strat was.

I'm not talking about a full out case book (because I don't want the argument) just saying it would be a good idea to post the aff and the order negative teams used in the 1nc, block and what they went for.

You should at least post a small description of what decides the final rounds of these tournaments.

160 character limit, noob.

At present, it appears we won't have anyone at Hutch. Anyone looking to relay the varsity results there should backchannel me and I'll provide the cell number. I'll put up SMNW open results some time in the evening.

I will be at hutch and I can send twitter posts with the @ksdebate tag and should be able to get much of it down.

At present, it appears we won't have anyone at Hutch. Anyone looking to relay the varsity results there should backchannel me and I'll provide the cell number. I'll put up SMNW open results some time in the evening.

The account is now followed by a pretty substantial number of people. Would any of them care to serve as the correspondent for Wichita East results this weekend? Backchannel me.

I was wondering about the twitter experiment and what people's thoughts are about it so far. I find it very cool to get updates about the big debate tournaments. Why can't we start doing this same thing for all tournaments? I think it would be cool to give kids recognition for their hard work, and I am curious about how everyone else is doing?

I have heard some coaches and debaters scoffing at the idea of the use of twitter in general. Question: Why? I think if people would try it for something other than stalking celebrities, they would find out how useful it can be.

The scoffing isn't a problem for me; there's enough people involved at this point that I think we've achieved critical mass. Those who find it silly need not subscribe. And people who think I'm bothered by mockery clearly haven't been watching my public behavior too closely over the years. :)

The main reason I haven't attempted to expand things to a broader array of tournaments is that the character limit on the posts is making it difficult to pass along meaningful results. I'll gladly pass along results for any tournament forwarded to me, but the only ones I've been actively soliciting have been the bid events. Perhaps the move to WordPress will make the process easier.

And I don't think anyone owes an apology for "hijacking" the thread, either. The point of the thread was to make the community aware of the resource, and I think it's achieved that. The caselist idea is one which I'm sure somebody will attempt to explore, which is fine; I just didn't want this particular twitter account to be the mechanism. My guess is that once somebody puts together a live-results mechanism along the lines of what Scott suggested, the community will migrate to it and away from mine. Which is fine by me.

instead of debating about whether or not something is authorized or acceptable to post, people should just post whatever they think is appropriate using a #ksdebate hashtag. no one has centralized control over the use of hashtags (unlike a centralized twitter account) and they don't appear as private replies (unlike using @ksdebate). people who consistently post better, more useful information will get more credibility in a small community and therefore be more trusted. in fact, it'd make sense for @ksdebate to append all tweets with a #ksdebate hashtag.

edit: here's a link to a #ksdebate search http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23ksdebate

Edited by maxpow
  • Upvote 1

And people who think I'm bothered by mockery clearly haven't been watching my public behavior too closely over the years. :)
Or following your exploits in fantasy football, either... ;)