ninja

Novice/Lay Strategies

What do you think are some good negative off case positions to start novices off on in front of lay judges?

Spending maybe? Dependency? I can't figure it out, especially the question of what counterplans would be persuasive.

• Upvote 1

This is something I've been wondering about lately. My old high school team has a pair of freshman who're pretty gung-ho about doing policy that I've been put in charge of. Honestly, we've got some basic DA's, some T and Procedural positions, and solvency turns, takeouts, etc. I try and steer them away from CP's at all. I tend to think that CP debates are far too complicated for most novi, especially before the first tournament of the season has even happened. Are we talking about CP, and CP theory? Of course, but I tell them not to run them yet.

With regards to DA's, simple, logical arguments are key. I tend to think that, particularly in regional novice debates, simple, reasonable stories are key to a persuasive DA. Spending is something that everyone understands. The money comes from somewhere, and it goes somewhere. It's easy to make arguments out of the use of FIAT money, or a tradeoff scenario. I think that simple politics scenarios are acceptable (process DA's aren't). It seems most judges understand the concept of political backlash, and while Tix debates generally require a deep knowledge of theory, I tend to think most of that happens on the process level.

What do you think are some good negative off case positions to start novices off on in front of lay judges?

Spending maybe? Dependency? I can't figure it out, especially the question of what counterplans would be persuasive.

yes, spending disads would work pretty well with lay judges. I personally run spending when I end up with lay judges. its probably the simplest disad to explain to a judge, even for novices. plan spends money, which is bad. nothing to it.

ive heard states cp will be popular this year, whether or not it will be persuasive, it really depends on the judge and how the neg runs it. i wouldn't suggest novices running cps until they have a firm understanding of the theory behind it.

thanks all!! good ideas for disads. I just really feel like I should give them some sort of counterplan; I feel like lay judges want to feel like they're voting for some course of action, not just doing nothing in the face of the harms. But I still can't figure out which one would be persuasive...

Spending is something that everyone understands.

Yes, but its got serious uniqueness problems that most lay judges also understand. Also every affirmative has a built in way they solve the economy--without answering these two fundamental questions you are behind.

This may be messed up, but I think reading a movements disad on the case makes sense. The UT camp put out a K--I think they called this argument Populist Authoritarianism) which has movement links. You can find impacts in many court files (for the disad hollow hope that links to court action)

agreed about:

immigration/military recruitment disads

actually I remembered that the voluntarism disad (i'm not sure if thats the exact name) is essentially a movements disad so you can use it as framework (you just need to make sure that the link turns aren't that good)

the easiest counter plan I think is libertarian counterplan--also that allows you to run coersion as a disad or critique.

and case turns

Even if it is USFG, its still mutually exclusive against most affs

This is a very common misconception....

Mutual exclusivity isn't used that much for counterplan competition. Net benefits is in 95% of cases are resolved that way. (ie the disads, case turns/advantage turns, and K still link to the permutation which says "do both")

Also, its not mutually exclusive for the counterplan and the plan to happen at the same time. The states can do the plan and the federal government. In fact, its not uncommon for them to work together in multiple policy arenas.

And the work counterplan and the privates counterplan aren't mutually exclusive with the affirmative.

Its a common misconception that mutual exclusivity is a big, important standard for counterplan competition. Net benefits. Most of the time you spend on mutual exclusivity in a given debate for counterplans is wasted time.

In the case of Ks that might be a little different--because you are dealing with ideologies and so mutual exclusivity may be a bigger possibility. However, at the end of the day 90 to 95% of your judges will resolve conflicts on the permutation in terms of net benefits. Even in the case of mutual exclusivity for Ks the most strategic position is creating disads to the permutation via links to the plan text or the affirmative rhetoric (depending on the exact K argument).

Learning this lesson is critical to taking your debate skills to the next level on the affirmative and the negative. (given its a 35 to 70 second time waster in many debates and these are critical time trade offs) And good judges are sometimes a little mifted when they have to listen to a) contrived stories on mutual exclusivity B) people making mutual exclusivity arguments to the exclusion of far, far better arguments in terms of net benefits.

For instance, the analogy is a little simplistic, but your mom and your dad can give you an orange. (you might use the specific agents involved in the C/P and the plan) They are not mutually exclusive. The disadvantage would probably be a time tradeoff for other stuff they could be doing--not that they couldn't act at the same time. At best thats a redundancy argument. But even that redundancy might be outweighed by extra vitamin C.

If you have questions about this, I suggest checking out one of the theory or counter plan lectures from Berkeley or Georgetown that are available for free online.

If you or anyone else needs this explained....I can do it or someone else will be glad to explain this better.