Sign in to follow this  
deathrow93

2AC Blocks

What are some general tips/rules/guidelines/etc...for writing effective 2AC blocks?

There aren't any specific rules, but its always good to have a mix of offense and defense in your blocks. You can mix and match different cards to have in your blocks, just don't double turn yourself.

More Specifically, try some of these ideas-

DA:

Non-Unique the Uniqueness

Non-Unique the Link

No Internal Link

No impact

Impact inevitable

Link Turn

Internal Link Turn

Impact Turn

CPs:

Can't Solve X

Cant solve the aff

No Net benefit

Doesn't compete

Theory

Kritiks:

No Link

Link Turn

Impact Turn

Alt can't solve

Alt Turn

Prag/Realism/Consequentialism

This is off the top of my head, so I'm probably missing a few ones, but it should help you get started.

Some K's seem to link to themselves- i'd try to include one of those.

Ex.

Relativism says that there is no truth only perspectives-- problem is if there is only perspectives, then the statement-- "There is no truth" isn't true.

There aren't any specific rules, but its always good to have a mix of offense and defense in your blocks. You can mix and match different cards to have in your blocks, just don't double turn yourself.

More Specifically, try some of these ideas-

DA:

Non-Unique the Uniqueness

Non-Unique the Link

No Internal Link

No impact

Impact inevitable

Link Turn

Internal Link Turn

Impact Turn

CPs:

Can't Solve X

Cant solve the aff

No Net benefit

Doesn't compete

Theory

Kritiks:

No Link

Link Turn

Impact Turn

Alt can't solve

Alt Turn

Prag/Realism/Consequentialism

This is off the top of my head, so I'm probably missing a few ones, but it should help you get started.

Good basic ideas, but don't use all of these or you will double turn yourself. My formats for frontlines are usually similar to this (though this is simplified):

DA:

Defense:

No Link

Non Unique

No Impact

Link Turns (notice its plural)

Case Outweighs

(You rarely want to impact turn unless you blatantly link to it, and link hard)

CP:

Remeber the acronym POST:

Perms

Offense (disad to the CP)

Solvency Deficits

Theory

K:

Make sure you have args on the link, impact and alternative, ALWAYS. Otherwise its extremely easy for them to beat you in the block

You can follow the basic format for CP's in that you still want POST, except you offense is usually in the form of a link turn or impact turn (preferably a link turn) instead of a disad. You also want to make case outweighs args and preempt possible floating pics and other sketchy things they will try in the block, like utopian fiat.

All of the things Policy Tiger mentioned are good, as long as you don't double-turn yourself. On disadvantages, sometimes it might be good to cross-apply an advantage to say that your plan solves the impact. In almost every case, you should have a permutation. For kritiks, you should have carded perm arguments. These will oftentimes be your most effective offense against the kritik.

When writing 2AC blocks, there are some things you learn over the years such as how to order things and what kinds of arguments are more effective than others. The biggest thing I want to emphasize is to diversify your answers. You want as many different arguments as you can to make the block difficult for the negative. Be smart about what kinds of arguments you're making. If you know that one of your cards is going to be really easy for the negative to answer with one cross-application, you probably shouldn't read it. The more variety you have, the tougher it is for the negative to answer, and the easier it is for the 1AR to extend offense and certain tricks.

EDIT: Another thing that I think is really important is to re-write your 2AC blocks based on what hear from the negative at different points during the year. When you know something works, stick to it. When you know something doesn't work, think of ways to change it.

Edited by aburo

K:

You can follow the basic format for CP's in that you still want POST, except you offense is usually in the form of a link turn or impact turn (preferably a link turn) instead of a disad.

It's actually a really good idea to read a disad to the alternative if you can, for the same reasons it's good to read disads to counterplans. The distinction is that since a kritik is (roughly analogous to) a counterplan PLUS a disad, you need to put offense on the disad portion too (link and impact). Else, the 2nr can kick the alternative which you are crushing and go for the linear disad as a case turn against which you have only minimal defense.

Another point is that particularly for disads, it's generally a good idea to have at least two sets of blocks - a long block with all of these types of arguments, but also a short block with only offense. That way, if you're in danger of getting spread out of the 2ac by the 5 disads, you can straight turn all the disads and force the neg block to overextend.