Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Octagon

Kritik's of DA's

Does anybody have any old backfiles of the K of DA's - Willing to trade if need be.

Merci.

GDI also put out a Zizek file a few years back that would have some cards you could use. Traverse the Fantasy is a pretty sweet impact turn to a disad.

It you need either, PM me

• Downvote 1

GDI also put out a Zizek file a few years back that would have some cards you could use. Traverse the Fantasy is a pretty sweet impact turn to a disad.

what?

It you need either, PM me

You could just keep it simple and run Campbell...

Its not a critique of DA exactly, but the risk analysis file from Michigan is also worth a look. Its an impact turn of worst case scenario threat analysis.

http://www.debatecoaches.org/openevidence/?s=risk+

It has rescher, berube (min-max fallacy), and other risk analysis and calculation arguments.

My guess is the 7 week file is better. But both may be worth checking out.

There is a specific file from DDI under the "Random" file folder called "The Totalizing Us." I assume that is what you mean when you say "K the DA," because it critiques the impacts that common DAs have.

You're welcome

• Downvote 1

what?

Why does that not make sense?

Functionally a K of a DA is just an impact turn to it.

And if you knew even a little, you could probably find out that it'd be true. The main reason people run Traverse the Fantasy affs is because you can use it as an impact turn to disads. Greenwood Lab did it last year, as did UT Austin a few years back if I remember correctly.

But Dim, you're right. Securitization would probably be easier, I forgot about that.

Edited by BCam14

Functionally a K of a DA is just an impact turn to it.
I beg your pardon? A true "K of a DA" would argue that the DA's impact ought not to figure in the judge's decision calculus because of the virtual certainty that the impact claim is not grounded in reality (i.e., reforming the bail system, providing job training to inner city teens, sending mosquito netting to sub-Saharan Africa, etc., isn't actually going to balloon into a nuclear war). It would urge the judge to reject (and possibly even to punish) the reasoning upon which the DA is based. That is very different from a mere impact turn...

I haven't read every argument mentioned in this thread, much less every argument mistakenly labeled "K of a DA," but any argument which is "just an impact turn" to the DA would seem to me not to qualify as a true kritik...

The Random file is pretty decent or rather "Totalizing Us". Its mostly Cuomo, Securitization, and Terror talk (and genocide triv--bad arg. against real genocide I think)

The utility bad file is likewise decent. It has Kurasawa (predictions bad), Wang, Callahan, and others. It probably needs a supplement with other util bad files, but decent args. No value to life arg.....however

I beg your pardon? A true "K of a DA" would argue that the DA's impact ought not to figure in the judge's decision calculus because of the virtual certainty that the impact claim is not grounded in reality (i.e., reforming the bail system, providing job training to inner city teens, sending mosquito netting to sub-Saharan Africa, etc., isn't actually going to balloon into a nuclear war).

not usually true about most Ks of disads that people run, although they tend to be internal link turns/non-uniques to the disad impacts (I'm not too familiar with the zizek argument but the more common ones like cuomo, terror talk, security aren't impact turns)

It would urge the judge to reject (and possibly even to punish) the reasoning upon which the DA is based. That is very different from a mere impact turn...

true, albeit terribly abstract

I haven't read every argument mentioned in this thread, much less every argument mistakenly labeled "K of a DA," but any argument which is "just an impact turn" to the DA would seem to me not to qualify as a true kritik...

you are the last person I would ever trust to know anything about kritiks

• Upvote 1

Guest wutlol

you are the last person I would ever trust to know anything about kritiks

lol