Sweet Ev

Help finding the right college

Hi, I was wondering if any of the people on this site could recommend schools for me, or give any suggestions they have for colleges. I am looking for a school with a decent to good competitive debate team, as well as a school with a very strong political science department.

Any help would be appreciated

Hi, I was wondering if any of the people on this site could recommend schools for me, or give any suggestions they have for colleges. I am looking for a school with a decent to good competitive debate team, as well as a school with a very strong political science department.

MSU.

I didnt debate here , but they won NDT my freshman year.

Also its fun.

Also, cute girls.

Also, cheap.

my recommendation is avoid anywhere north of washington dc. cold sucks.

but seriously, what state are you from

New York so cold doesn't really matter

Don't bother factoring in weather in as a consideration unless the school is in California. Everywhere else just plain sucks in comparison no matter where you are.

Don't bother factoring in weather in as a consideration unless the school is in California. Everywhere else just plain sucks in comparison no matter where you are.

so false. so, so false.

Arrogance AND ignorance.

Spoken like a true Giants fan.

Hey Evan. University of Michigan is pretty damn good as far as political science programs go (frequently ranked in the top-five undergraduate departments) - and our debate team isn't too shabby either (NDT outround appearances the last three years, including semis in '08). You might have to learn how to cut politics updates, though.

But seriously, have a look at UMich if you get the chance. Talk to me if you're interested.

Missouri State has a great political science program, with its own graduate school in Fairfax, Virginia that is slighted toward Defense and Strategic Studies. Lots of great polisci teachers and a GREAT debate program.

Hey Evan. University of Michigan is pretty damn good as far as political science programs go (frequently ranked in the top-five undergraduate departments) - and our debate team isn't too shabby either (NDT outround appearances the last three years, including semis in '08). You might have to learn how to cut politics updates, though.

But seriously, have a look at UMich if you get the chance. Talk to me if you're interested.

Dont worry Kyle alot has changed from last year, i don't think cutting PTX will really be a problem. But ill let you know if i have any questions.

For Those Looking to Choose a Debate School with a Great Political Science Department...

Here is a ranking of graduate programs in political science from US News and World Report. Its incredibly insightful for how schools are perceived and hence used as a tool to gauge how useful your degree will be after school (if you take advantage of programs, university experiences, and internships):

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-political-science-schools/rankings

Stanford University (3) very small program I believe (I think they don't have coaching, but get help from another university)

Michigan (4)

Berkeley (6)

Columbia University (7) its in a debate consortium with NYU I believe (I would check on this)

University of Rochester (15) colder than cold, but I coached there for a year. it is on the expensive side.

Cornell in Ithaca NY (20)

University of Texas at Austin (21)

Michigan State (28)

Iowa (33)

Georgetown University (39)

Pitt (39)

Vanderbilt (39)

U of Florida (49)

Arizona State University (51)

George Mason (51) debate program isn't so hot at the moment. also the department skews very libertarian--but if you're down with that this might be the place to go.

SUNY--Binghamton (51)

University of Georgia (51)

University of Kansas (51)

University of North Texas (51)

I hope these 19 universities help you on your journey to find a political science department that meets your debate needs.

Edited by nathan_debate
  • Upvote 1

George Mason (51) debate program isn't so hot at the moment.

Yeah. Except GMU qualified two teams to the NDT last year.

Edited by Stow
tone
  • Downvote 1

If you are from New York, you might seriously want to consider Binghamton. Here is a what a former debater who is finishing up his PhD at Bing's poli sci program wrote about the program a couple of years ago:

"The Political Science Department at Binghamton University offers a rigorous program that will put candidates amongst the top graduates in the country. The program is smaller than those found on the top tiers, but rankings based on systematic approaches to ranking departments (as opposed to self- and peer-rankings) recently put the Binghamton Political Science Program as 19th in the world. The program offers specialization in Comparative, American, and World Politics with a heavy focus in methodology (specifically, quantitative and game theoretic methods). Students typically (and are expected to) finish their Ph.D. in five years. Faculty member strongly focus on graduate student development (through teaching, development, co-authorship, etc.) and graduate students from the department regularly land tenure-track jobs."

As far as the debate team is concerned, it remains a relatively strong program. Regionally it is certainly one of the best (last year we sent two teams to the NDT), and continues to have a strong and committed coaching staff (which I am no longer a part of due to my move to Boca Raton, FL). Anyone who joins the squad will have tons of travel opportunity, and will have access to the full coaching staff.

There are plenty of other strong school programs out there, but it makes little sense to me not to consider Binghamton, especially if you are already from NY.

Best of luck, regardless.

Columbia University (7) its in a debate consortium with NYU I believe (I would check on this)

No longer. Columbia now has its own separate program, and is picking up pace. It is currently coached by Frank Montano (a CEDA quarterfinalist in the late 70s) and Matt Cormack (octo-finalist at the NDT and CEDA from KU). We are also in the process of hiring a more kritik-oriented coach, but I am not at liberty to disclose names yet. While the team is (obviously) smaller than more prominent programs, the advantage of being on a smaller team is to get personalized attention from the coaches. As a result, all teams from Columbia have been elim round participants at all regional tournaments attended (in open, jv, and novice) and have started to get some recognition at bigger, national tournaments (one team was 3rd at the Weber RR and went 6-2 at CEDA). If you have any specific questions about the debate program, let me know. shree [dot] awsare [at] gmail. (Replace the dot and at with their respective symbols).

As for your major, I do not major in political science but have taken 4 or 5 classes from the department. The professors there are generally great, and the IR portion of the program has a great amount of prestige and popularity.

>>Yeah. F- those "not-hot" programs that qualified two teams to the NDT last year.

My access to their (George Mason's) success was about 2 years old. I didn't know they added Brett Wallace to their coaching staff.

Thanks for correcting my error.

For Those Looking to Choose a Debate School with a Great Political Science Department...

Here is a ranking of graduate programs in political science from US News and World Report. Its incredibly insightful for how schools are perceived and hence used as a tool to gauge how useful your degree will be after school (if you take advantage of programs, university experiences, and internships):

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-political-science-schools/rankings

Stanford University (3) very small program I believe (I think they don't have coaching, but get help from another university)

Michigan (4)

Berkeley (6)

University of Rochester (15) colder than cold, but I coached there for a year. it is on the expensive side.

Cornell in Ithaca NY (20)

University of Texas at Austin (21)

Michigan State (28)

Iowa (33)

Georgetown University (39)

Pitt (39)

Vanderbilt (39)

U of Florida (49)

Arizona State University (51)

George Mason (51) debate program isn't so hot at the moment. also the department skews very libertarian--but if you're down with that this might be the place to go.

SUNY--Binghamton (51)

University of Georgia (51)

University of Kansas (51)

University of North Texas (51)

I hope these 19 universities help you on your journey to find a political science department that meets your debate needs.

I am not entirely confident in these rankings.

http://explore.georgetown.edu/news/?ID=22838

http://explore.georgetown.edu/documents/?DocumentID=40144

Those are press releases, but they are based on the rankings from Foreign Policy:

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4685&page=1

I don't want to get into an exhaustive ranking of competing methodologies - I would, however, probably reference two factors to explain the discrepancy.

1. Employment vs. pure academia:

"With four of the top master’s programs located within or just outside the U.S. capital, the hot spot to pursue the policy track remains inside the Washington Beltway. Those more interested in purely academic pursuits will want to tread the coastlines; the northeast corridor is home to five of the top 10 Ph.D. programs, and California has three of its own in the top 10."

2. Undergraduate program:

USN&WR ranks graduate schools. If you're looking for an UNDERGRADUATE program (which, as a debater, you are), you should look at the FoPo ranking for UNDERGRADUATE programs. Remember that very few people pursue graduate degrees at their undergraduate institutions; many schools actively discourage this practice, in fact.

Further details on our program can be sought through Daniel Nexon, professor and former debater for Georgetown Day and Harvard; backchannel me at my email address - NOT cross-x mail - for details.

Edited by Antonucci23

There is a certain level of silliness of applying to an undergrad school based on what you think you want to study. I think I planned on studying psychology when I was a senior in HS. I am pretty sure I didn't even take a single class in psychology in undergrad.

What few people will flat out and tell you is that if you go to a well-respected university the second part of your life will be easier (ie getting into med school, law school, or grad school. Or even getting a job). And by making your post graduation institute more grand, that will allow you next move to be nice and easy too. People like to say things like, "It doesn't matter what undergrad institution you go to." That is true for any number of respectful career paths, but also is flat out false in any number of other career paths.

If I were you and I would still want to debate this is what I would do:

I would apply to the top state school in the state I am in (in your case, that means still apply to Bing). Then I would apply to any number of top-tier private universities with debate teams. The Ivy's with policy teams are: Harvard, Dartmouth, Columbia, and Cornell. The non-ivy's are NYU, Georgetown, Emory, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, and Stanford (honorable mention to Wake Forrest). There are several top public institutions, but only a few that are awarded the same respect as their private counterparts. University of Michigan and UC at Berkeley (honorable mention to University of Texas at Austin). That list is probably too large, and you can feel free to parse it down anyway, really. Quality of debate programs, general vibe of school or debate squad, regional or city preference, etc.

Honestly, I am a huge fan of small liberal schools for undergrad. Sadly, there are very few that I know have a program, and those that do are not usually considered at quite the same prestige of institutions of the ones listed (ie, Williams, Amherst, Oberlin, etc don't have debate programs).

Now, obviously you can go to a less prestigious undergrad college and still do quite well for yourself. But the name of the school you come from, and more importantly the fame and respect of the professors from the school you come from do make getting into the next type of schools easier.

Honestly, I am a huge fan of small liberal schools for undergrad. Sadly, there are very few that I know have a program, and those that do are not usually considered at quite the same prestige of institutions of the ones listed (ie, Williams, Amherst, Oberlin, etc don't have debate programs).

Whitman is a very small liberal arts college ranked fairly highly with a very consistently successful squad with tons of institutional support. If you're looking for liberal arts education plus debate, it's pretty hard to do better. The one caveat is that Walla Walla is pretty far away from everything so if you're looking to be close to the political action, you're going to want to look elsewhere.

I am of the opposite opinion as James. I am a big fan of large, diversely focused universities. But I say that with one caveat: its great for people who are go-getters. A large institution will be able to offer you opportunities to expand far beyond the curriculum which many small colleges will not be able to offer. In many cases, you will be able to create your own opportunities at a large university. And dont think you are a go-getter if you arent one already. By this age, you either are, or arent.

I would re-emphasize Scu's list as well as Whitman and Georgetown. I think Georgetown is abscent from Scu's list largely because Scu's list is more focused on debate, but the government and IR cache of a Georgetown degree are pretty impressive (especially given the link that Nooch put in the post above) Here a quote from the link regarding international relations programs:

Georgetown ranked number one in the survey, above second place Johns Hopkins University and far outpacing Harvard University in third. Tufts and Columbia universities followed in fourth and fifth places.

If you are interested in doing Parli, I believe Tufts, Hopkins, and Columbia all have Parli programs.

hopkins definitely does, the one time i parli'd i debated them.

they're in the APDA, whatever the hell that stands for. princeton duke maryland william and mary and virginia are all also in it, as well as a bunch of others i don't remember