Dr. Octagon

Net Benefit theory

As many as you want. You might only have to answer a k of spreading but those are dumb and that should be easy. As long as you speak clearly there's no reason why you can't read 5 or more nb.

No... <i would> only read a few net benefits, so that the aff. has less room to impact turn.

Edited by Swine Flu
misspoke.. thanks for the neg rep though jerk
  • Downvote 3

I don't agree with the 1 net-benefit rule, but....on the upside

having smaller numbers of net benefits could also help in 2nr when you are having to explain your story.

Perhaps this principle of just using 1 or 2 net benefits might be decent for novice and JV debaters....or with critics who are less experienced.

The strategy of focusing on 1 net benefit can lead to reading multiple time filing theory arguments.

Case turns are great net benefits to counterplans--for instance ban social services counterplan can claim all the case arguments as net benefits to the counterplan. (you can also use the philanthropy/voluntary counter plan to do the same thing)

• Downvote 1

Case turns are great net benefits to counterplans--for instance ban social services counterplan can claim all the case arguments as net benefits to the counterplan. (you can also use the philanthropy/voluntary counter plan to do the same thing)

could you explain in more detail?

could you explain in more detail?

To continue with nathan's example, if you read a ban social services cp, case arguments like "social services continue the cycle of poverty b/c of increased dependence on the gov't" or something along those lines (essentially social services bad for whatever reason) become net benefits to the counterplan because as its title suggests, there would be no social services.

Not many of the affs I've seen have talked about why social services are bad.

Yes, the neg would say social services bad...

The reason "ban the plan" cps are strategic is to win competition (they're mutually exclusive) and uniqueness for your disads, not to solve any of the case. They rarely will.

Why would you not try to solve for any of the case with your counterplan? I would think free market solves arguments would be relevant here...

Yes, the neg would say social services bad...

Why would you not try to solve for any of the case with your counterplan? I would think free market solves arguments would be relevant here...

A "ban social services" counterplan is meant to provide uniqueness for your "social services bad" turns. Otherwise the affirmative just just say that social services are inevitable or that the turns are non-unique. This counterplan works because it's mutually exclusive, but the net benefit is obviously artificial. In order to win with it, you have to explain why your "social services bad" offense outweighs the case. Most likely you'll have to run a lot of case defense.

As far as solving the case, usually these types of counterplans are not meant for that. Because the affirmative's solvency will be pretty specific to their plan, most of your generic evidence isn't going to work. It might in some cases, but I wouldn't usually count on it (especially since your turns are arguing against what the affirmative plan does as a whole).

What you could do to solve the case if you don't want to mess around with the case defense is run an advantage counterplan with your "ban social services" counterplan. Just read them both in your counterplan text. Depending on the situation, this type of strategy might be useful. The problem is, of course, that it allows the affirmative a lot more room to generate offense against your counterplan. If one part of the counterplan isn't working out, you'll have to kick the whole thing.

Edited by aburo
spelling
  • Downvote 1

A "ban social services" counterplan is meant to provide uniqueness for your "social services bad" turns. Otherwise the affirmative just just say that social services are inevitable or that the turns are non-unique.

Perhaps I was unclear in regard to the providing uniqueness aspect, but I thought it was implied when I said ss bad was a net ben because there would be no ss. If that was vague, fair enough.

This counterplan works because it's mutually exclusive, but the net benefit is obviously artificial. In order to win with it, you have to explain why your "social services bad" offense outweighs the case. Most likely you'll have to run a lot of case defense. As far as solving the case, usually these types of counterplans are not meant for that. Because the affirmative's solvency will be pretty specific to their plan, most of your generic evidence isn't going to work. It might in some cases, but I wouldn't usually count on it (especially since your turns are arguing against what the affirmative plan does as a whole).

While I agree that free market arguments are generally generic, I don't think there's a strategic disadvantage to at least making the argument that the CP solves some of the case (unless the time tradeoff in reading the card is devastating). It also depends on what your free market arguments are. If you say social services=gov't dependence and perpetuates cycle of poverty and free market increases personal responsibility, that could potentially solve general poverty advantages.

Perhaps I was unclear in regard to the providing uniqueness aspect, but I thought it was implied when I said ss bad was a net ben because there would be no ss. If that was vague, fair enough.

While I agree that free market arguments are generally generic, I don't think there's a strategic disadvantage to at least making the argument that the CP solves some of the case (unless the time tradeoff in reading the card is devastating). It also depends on what your free market arguments are. If you say social services=gov't dependence and perpetuates cycle of poverty and free market increases personal responsibility, that could potentially solve general poverty advantages.

How about you post the block to our VDebate?

What about in a scenario, were the neg reads a cp, but then reads net benefits that are only based on the cp's action, not on uniqueness.

I can't think of any examples for this years topic, but in the Africa topic, International Actor CP's had a lot of Net Benefits.

Example

AU Cp, Pan Africanism, Darfur, Colonialism, Corruption, Brain Drain, Enviroment, Human Rights, ect.

In the sense of a Net Benefit becoming an advantage to the Cp, but not a DA to the aff, can that be abusive, cause the aff would have to prep out scenarios that are not germaine to the resolution and could possibly moot the 1AC??

Guest wutlol
What about in a scenario, were the neg reads a cp, but then reads net benefits that are only based on the cp's action, not on uniqueness.

I can't think of any examples for this years topic, but in the Africa topic, International Actor CP's had a lot of Net Benefits.

Example

AU Cp, Pan Africanism, Darfur, Colonialism, Corruption, Brain Drain, Enviroment, Human Rights, ect.

In the sense of a Net Benefit becoming an advantage to the Cp, but not a DA to the aff, can that be abusive, cause the aff would have to prep out scenarios that are not germaine to the resolution and could possibly moot the 1AC??

it's not abusive, it's just unstrategic. if the net benefit isn't a disad to the plan, and is just an internal advantage to the cp, the perm will solve 99% of the time. the perm will only not solve if the cp is mutually exclusive, or if there's some other unique disad to the perm.