Cryst'all

In YOUR opinion...

The united states federal government should substantially increase social services in the united states.

Observation 1 Poverty:

Somebody is poor, poverty is bad

Vote aff on precautionary principle :P

In all seriousness, the season is so underdeveloped, I doubt the answers you would get here would be of any help. I ran an early head start title 1 education aff at camp so I would say that cause it was fun to run.

teach native american children to read. then just a ton of solvency cards (2 for USFG key, 2 for program will work, 2 for children want to use that program, maybe a few more just because) and a ton of first hand accounts (narratives, i suppose, but i wouldn't use that word) from native american children who want to learn how to read, and some that are from children who talk about how happy reading makes them.

The advantage? Kids should learn how to read.

The DA? Stupid. Just dumb. Where is your DA? I want to teach kids to read. This is how CX goes:

you: "so you read this politics DA...how does teaching children to read cause nuclear war?"

opponent: "you are right, i am a moron. we concede the round. we apologize for wasting your time"

BUT MURRAY! ISNT THAT AFF CAPITALIST?!

YOU: "so how does teaching children to read cause unchecked capitalist expansion?"

OPPONENT: "well because the state, man and like, its bad and shit"

YOU: "by learning to read?"

OPPONENT: "yeah man like totally capitalism and whatever"

JUDGE: "I vote aff and give the neg 20 speaker points. total."

BUT MURRAY! THATS DEFINITELY BIOPOWER!

YOU: "how do we solve biopower?"

OPPONENT: "foucault's specific intellectual"

YOU: "does that require reading?"

OPPONENT: "oh shi-"

and so it goes. you just can't lose. Except to T...you can lose to that.

• Upvote 1

Easily the best aff on this topic are going to be the ones with the biggest lit. base. Sure - great teams that have many toc victories have a break round aff but their staple affs will always be something generic with a big lit ground. you know why? because it's easy to predict anything they will say and as a result your blocks should be flaming hot.

kbi

Oh - also - give poor kids laptops with only google on it. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!! (True story - had a team run biopower against me because I said that in my plan text x.x)

• Upvote 1

Korematsu. On every topic. Case is a tank ;)

That was the very first case I ever ran. I didn't do it justice, sadly.

teach native american children to read. then just a ton of solvency cards (2 for USFG key, 2 for program will work, 2 for children want to use that program, maybe a few more just because) and a ton of first hand accounts (narratives, i suppose, but i wouldn't use that word) from native american children who want to learn how to read, and some that are from children who talk about how happy reading makes them.

The advantage? Kids should learn how to read.

The DA? Stupid. Just dumb. Where is your DA? I want to teach kids to read. This is how CX goes:

you: "so you read this politics DA...how does teaching children to read cause nuclear war?"

opponent: "you are right, i am a moron. we concede the round. we apologize for wasting your time"

BUT MURRAY! ISNT THAT AFF CAPITALIST?!

YOU: "so how does teaching children to read cause unchecked capitalist expansion?"

OPPONENT: "well because the state, man and like, its bad and shit"

YOU: "by learning to read?"

OPPONENT: "yeah man like totally capitalism and whatever"

JUDGE: "I vote aff and give the neg 20 speaker points. total."

BUT MURRAY! THATS DEFINITELY BIOPOWER!

YOU: "how do we solve biopower?"

OPPONENT: "foucault's specific intellectual"

YOU: "does that require reading?"

OPPONENT: "oh shi-"

and so it goes. you just can't lose. Except to T...you can lose to that.

yeah i agree with murray mostly.

i think its untopical but if you have good blocks most teams wont beat you on t

I don't think the Native Americans reading aff is particularly good, because-

A) There's no advantage other than "reading is good"

B) There's a lot of literature about how the government educating natives is a bad thing, drawing on the old boarding school programs. Granted it's not exactly the same thing, but all of the literature has a neg skew in this case.

Also; what's the fed key warrant?

That's the point. If you really want offense, you can get into the immense and beautiful security literature that talks about how fear of the bomb fucked up education in the 50s and still holds us back as a community/society/country today because we pour funds into missile defense when 50% of children across the nation are below the national average reading level.

B) There's a lot of literature about how the government educating natives is a bad thing, drawing on the old boarding school programs. Granted it's not exactly the same thing, but all of the literature has a neg skew in this case.

That's actually very strong uniqueness for the case, I discovered. I think you have a brilliant and vibrant criticism of education policies in the status quo, which the plan would solve for (or at least try). Besides, and most importantly, there is a HUGE difference between teaching someone to read and teaching someone social studies/history with a skewed and pro-white dialogue. Seems to me, even more likely, that only after a child can read can they begin to formulate their own opinions through their own interpretation of text instead of listening to USFG propaganda about national benevolence towards native americans.

I honestly believe learning to read improves the life of a child (or adult, as it might be) dramatically. I volunteer to do so on weekends when I am fee and I make it up to local elementary schools when I can to help struggling students learn to read. It's amazing what happens, I wish I could describe it.

The states legally have 0 jurisdiction over native american lands, they don't have the money to fund these programs, they legally just cant, and allof the status-quo federal fuck-upery that needs to be fixed. Also, the states just can't do it. Plus, the aff would probably have good critique ground against any net benefit...

• Downvote 1

Other advs might link to the increase in learning, the fact that they will more easily funtion in today's society (road signs, use other entrance signs?) Its not just that reading is good, but that reading provides a wider opportunity base, and can create more jobs, that can help other people living in poverty

The way to beat reading is either an exclusionary counter plan (exclude particular "tribes") or K of education or K of colonialism/state bad.

Sounds like its not a bad JV or novice case, however. I can't speak to the boarding house evidence mentioned above)

The way to beat reading is either an exclusionary counter plan (exclude particular "tribes")

You think some children shouldn't get to learn how to read? Why don't they deserve to know how to read?

or K of education

I have never heard of this. Do tell. Considering this aff isn't "increase state-run public schools on redskin land", it's "teach children who don't have access to programs to read"....what part do your critique? The reading? Seems like your authors know how to read, maybe children without access to help should learn how to read too.

or K of colonialism/state bad.

We teach children to read. How is that indicative of the state as an entity being bad? Also, you probably have to know how to read to organize revolutions against the state.

Is reading colonialist? If so, your 1NC might be a preformative contradiction

Sounds like its not a bad JV or novice case, however. I can't speak to the boarding house evidence mentioned above)

I think it's a fantastic TOC-level case...but I have a penchant for these types of critical affs. I think a purely normative version of this case would be great for introducing to wide-eyes freshman as I can just imagine the look on their faces when the other team says "reading causes nuclear war" and the ensuing delight of CXing that little gem.

Cap would kill this case

Gotta read to rev. Zizek can read, does that make him capitalist? Marx said the proles wouldn't rev because information would be guarded from them, they would be kept ignorant to the harms of capitalism. Learning to read might help that.

and as we can clearly see here, no critique makes sense against teaching children to read.

Reading is bad/exclusionary.

Sometimes Tommy has incredibly funny jokes. Sometimes he has terribly racist and hilarious jokes. This is neither of those times.

THIS

IS

SATIRE