Sign in to follow this  
deathrow93

AT - Rorty/Habermas

Does anybody have blocked out answers to these arguments for a foucault K?

Or,

Can point me in the direction of books I could cut to answer these arguments?

P.S. the only thing i really have to trade is a 1000 page heg file if anyone is interested?

Or,

P.S. the only thing i really have to trade is a 1000 page heg file if anyone is interested?

Basu, 2006 (Marina, doctoral at the College of Education in Louisiana State University, intensive research in understanding education through the lens of feminist theory and continental French philosophy, “biopolitics or the legislation of life: a foucauldian analysis”)

One of the most common charges against Foucault is that he does not provide a normative theory in place of all that he critiques. Jurgen Habermas and Nancy Fraser criticize Foucault along these lines. For Fraser, Foucault’s work raises questions that it is “structurally unequipped to answer” (Fraser 1989: 27) and I will address this charge below. Habermas finds Foucault to be contradictory, ambiguous, universalizing, and most of all, conflating the two notions of knowledge and power by the use of the term powerknowledge. Habermas states, There is some unclarity, to begin with, regarding the problem of how discourses – scientific and non-scientific – are related to practices: whether one governs the other, whether their relationship is to be conceived as that of base to superstructure, or on the model of a circular causality, or as an interplay of structure and event. (Habermas 1990: 243). Thus Habermas attempts to attribute causality to Foucault’s analysis. As Jason Cato (2002) points out, this “false” attribution of causality is due to a “misreading and misunderstanding of some of Foucault’s most important insights and qualifications regarding power” (1). Cato clarifies that “Foucault does not want to implement power as an historical deus ex machina, nor does he intend his conception of power to extend beyond a particular domain” (3).

Basu, 2006 (Marina, doctoral at the College of Education in Louisiana State University, intensive research in understanding education through the lens of feminist theory and continental French philosophy, “biopolitics or the legislation of life: a foucauldian analysis”)

It is true that Foucault does not offer a “theory” of power, as he himself admits. However, in keeping with his genealogical project, Foucault is not interested in critiquing any particular model of power only to immediately replace it with his own model. Had he done so, he would have been contradicting his own critical undertaking. Thus to say that Foucault does not provide an alternative model or normative account cannot be a pertinent criticism of Foucault. As Paul Bové (2000: ix) points out, thinkers such as Habermas and Nancy Fraser [try] to oblige Foucault to answer questions about issues raised within the very systems of discourse that… come from the very “mind-set” [Foucault] was trying to critique.

Or,

Foucault cards answering pragmatism will be applicable - especially disads to claiming to explain objective reality. Arguments such as pragmatism permitted slavery, etc are also useful in proving their methodology is bankrupt.