RoyersMWD

Nebraska 09-10

Congratulations to everyone from Millard West. Kick some more ass in the morning, Mutants!

Mutants dropped on a 3-0 to #2 seed Woodward A. They ran a really squirrely courts aff from what Fred said. But a fine showing from my varsity kids,I couldn't be more proud.

Look forward to seeing everyone at KCKCC!

Congrats Mutants and Scrubs, way to rep Nebraska better than Zac Lee.

What's the word on the Wonder Twins?

Wonder Twins won novice at Indianola.

Wonder Twins won novice at Indianola.

congrats Twins... looks like NDI was a great way to get ready for the season!

both dowling and iowa city west have some good novices too. i didn't get to see cr wash this weekend. looks like an exciting iowa policy field this year.

jay enjoyed LD tho it's not policy by any means. actually, he was pretty upset at dropping to a roosevelt military readiness aff in quarters. harry was pretty smart to go aff (and not hit our foucault case on the standardized testing); our neg is rhizomic pedagogy (deleuze-inspired) but much harder to sell as it just doesn't bite like foucault and jay's still trying to grasp that criterion thing which LD has become enthralled with (much akin to framework in policy circles). roosevelt apparently mixed up the offense and jay was kicking himself for not bringing all of his policy files so he'd have stuff against the readiness case. was an extremely close round.

i think you all might see fremont-mills come back on the policy circuit in january. we're gonna tool up one of our novices with jay and let them get smashed up a bit, but they've got two more years after this one as partners and it'll be a good investment. we've got some novice PF teams too this year and fortunately an asst. coach working with them and judging. it'll be nice to pull out the critical aff and publish the project website. all the files will be out there for all to see when we do.

jamie

Was digging thru some old theory books for a kritik theory blog post and stumbled across something that I just had to share as I can't imagine the horror/confusion it'd cause today.

Any of you guys remember the "minor repairs" theory in policy? (I'll be damn curious who does here). It was mentioned in quiet passing to us as something that perhaps our coaches coaches did back in their day, and we were being taught in the '80s. Arguably, it's still terribly valid theory; in practice, if a tree falls in a forest with nobody around to hear it, or a judge hears an argument that they've never studied the theory for (and won't listen to theory argued in-round as occasionally the case)...

Minor repairs goes like this: The aff is proposing a policy change. If the negative can substantiate that a minor change in the status quo which it is already empowered to carry out on its own would accomplish their advantages, they win. It's not even counterplan advocacy (which actually came later in policy theory). The key is that the current policy framework must be able to do this itself (this evolves out of inherency theory, which is another area poorly understood and mostly long-forgotten other than a one-line definition at best).

The Aff response cannot involve permutation; minor repairs is a test that the Affirmative advocacy is significantly major in how it changes policy, acting as a check against a tiny ground (parametric) case which would be abusive. The Aff *must* provide evidence in its response not only of inherency, but that only major changes to the system are required for the outcome. Working through the system fails the test and is grounds for a Negative ballot. (How many affs are ready for that argument, assuming the judge knows the theory?).

I'd argue we have a real candidate for that on the circuit: State Block Grants/Medicaid. By changing a single definition in the Federal code, or merely ceasing to even ask for ID when Medicaid is being applied for and sought, we can immediately provide health care that the affirmative asks for. Can the policy system make this minor change? Absolutely. Just ask any Congressional staffer about what happens in rules committee. Just look at how the Executive Branch constantly clarifies policy. A mere re-interpretation within the existing system, a change of a few words in the definition, solves the case and gains the advantage. In fact, what the Aff advocates is completely within the realm of the current system. No new laws, programs, etc. are required. Just an action of the system that already exists and is empowered to do.

The benefit to the minor repairs is that no extensive political action and new program is necessary. This makes Politics DAs still link (e.g. minor repair solves and doesn't risk Obama political capital). It also serves as a theoretical checksum on the aff for running "abusively" small change affirmatives. Those of you that judged SPS where a single satellite was launched last year and were annoyed with its parametric insignificance and small target might be amused to know that minor repairs is the realm of forgotten theory that used to keep extremely parametric affs in check. Can NASA already fund a single solar satellite and shoot it up, without the act of God, Obama, Congress, Normal Means, Counterplans, Kritiks and the magic of Fiat? Absolutely. Minor repairs Negative wins (again, debated in 1960 with judges who know of its absolute legitimacy and theoretical importance in providing this check).

That said, I'd fall out of my chair if I saw it run and would certainly require warrants to it and a good comprehension of what it meant. Thought I'd share that one from the dusty shelf of 120 years of policy debate theory I periodically work through. There's a lot of interesting stuff out there that's neglected and it's amusing to counter-read rounds recently judged through it, as it's akin to watching econometrics be carried out with algebra when calculus can solve it in 5% the time.

Minor repair has undoubtedly fallen out of grace in most circuits, but still exists. In some form, I've seen minor repair arguments run in Kansas for example. It's also still quite common in college parli and LD.

It's interesting as being essentially the opposite of effects topicality. Instead of plan explodes ground uncontrollably, minor repair asserts that the fashion in which the affirmative parametricizes to a case that is unpredictably small. I've got the evidence and shells if you want them Jamie.

Yeah, I could see that being run as a foil for substantial T. If the neg can prove that the 1AC impacts would take place without significant political action, then it could feasibly prove that the aff plan isn't truly substantial. It'd probably be a fairly easy abuse story, but I'm not sure the education voter would be too easy to win.

Minor repair has undoubtedly fallen out of grace in most circuits, but still exists. In some form, I've seen minor repair arguments run in Kansas for example. It's also still quite common in college parli and LD.

It's interesting as being essentially the opposite of effects topicality. Instead of plan explodes ground uncontrollably, minor repair asserts that the fashion in which the affirmative parametricizes to a case that is unpredictably small. I've got the evidence and shells if you want them Jamie.

That's really cool. There's a round I'd love to see... 1-on (minor repairs), 1-off (kritik linked to the major action). Curious how you see it run on the college level.

What's the final Nebraska head count for KCKCC? Millard West is sending the Scrubs and Mutants, and I know Millard South and Westside are going - anyone else?

Hey, everybody. Hope things in Nebraska are going well.

I know it's getting close to college application time for high school seniors. If any of you are seniors and interested in debating in college, you should shoot me an email about debating for UTD. We offer several debate scholarships to incoming freshman, and have a nationally and regionally competitive team.

My email address is BrittLeach17 [at] gmail [dot] com. If anyone has questions about UTD or debating in college in general (don't worry, I won't be hurt if you're not looking at my school - I'm more than willing to help people get in contact with any college program they're interested in), feel free to drop me a line.

I do it because I have heard that it helps prevent spammers from finding your e-mail address. Spammers will scan all the web-sites they can to find e-mail addresses to add to their spam-lists. If you type it out like Brittany did, they are less likely to use your e-mail address in a spam mailing-list.

I do it because I have heard that it helps prevent spammers from finding your e-mail address. Spammers will scan all the web-sites they can to find e-mail addresses to add to their spam-lists. If you type it out like Brittany did, they are less likely to use your e-mail address in a spam mailing-list.

Good answer.

I'm pretty sure Norfolk is sending Mastny/Parlato in varsity plus three novice teams.