Neurotic_Mastermind

Alt Energy Topic: The Last Word

I sense that this forum will soon disappear from the main page and fade into cross-x history. So, while we're here - any parting shots, opinions, or conclusions? Was it your favorite topic? Your least favorite? Your first (or in my case) your last?

Whatever it is you want to share, speak now, or forever refresh the Forums page in vain...

hmmm well my fave case was hemp, I won 80% of my aff round's with it, and least favorite was wind, it was too generic for my tastes, and I loved how there were few K's then normal, but still adequate debates had on the K

that's my .002 cents

My favorite topic by far :) The importance of the energy debate in todays climate is just mindboggling. The topic provide alot of in depth avenues for discussion, and good counterplan ground as well.

Was suprised protectionism wasn't run as frequently. Sure, teams like St Marks/Damien would, but its just somthing I'd expect to hit every affirmative round and didn't!

And does this whole thread section go into an archive?

this topic sucked less than i thought it would

least favorite: hydrogen

favorite: windians

hemp was a good case too, i enjoyed running it

• Downvote 1

Good topic, but not as good as SSA, which is still my favorite so far.

Favorite case was Thorndale's Nuclear Baudrillard aff, least favorite being energy towers.

It was my second topic, and i thought that it went pretty well.

Guest svfrey

For me, being aff on this topic was a bit easier than being neg (maybe that was because of our aff, but I digress) and I think that might've made the beginning of the season different than most, since we actually won more aff rounds in the first 3 tournaments of the season than neg ones (not a gross margin, but considerable, nonetheless). That facilitated a better transition to the rest of the year, when our neg strats started getting better, but we were still winning on aff.

favorite affs/1AC's: GT-MHR's (the one we ran all year), Pembroke's doubles aff at Blake, GDS's russia power line aff (untopical as hell, but cool anyways), and Damien's nuclear subs aff

all in all, a good way to finish off my high school debate career. sucks for all of you guys who have to be seniors on the poverty topic, and even more for the novices who have to debate it during their first year.

i dont understand how that is applicable to other topics

ADVANTAGE COUNTERPLAN

• Downvote 2

I really enjoyed this topic and I would have to say it was my favorite. There were some problems though, being neg just became difficult at various points in the year because of alt energy policies passing eg the stimulus including a chunk of money for alternative energy.

On the issue of being neg on a domestic topic, I found very little need to read states this year while everyone else jumped to it (though in the context of SPS everyone just read Code of Conduct or a nonterrestrial pic). And quite honestly, I have no idea what affs had federal key warrants (a lot of people will probably say no aff actually did).

The advantage ground was kind of interesting (peak oil/oil dependence, warming, econ, soft power/hegemony, US-X relations) and allowed for some very good impact turn debates. Or as clever ways to catch teams off guard by reading a disad weirdly- the warming good disad or the hegemony bad disad (this strat actually worked a lot more than you would assume).

Favorite affs:

1. Space-based solar power was my clear favorite because of the awesome advantages (and add-ons, oh god, so many add-ons) and the interesting strategies people had against it (Damien's space plane goodness). This was also the aff that I debated the most.

2. The biochar/pyrolysis aff Pembroke and NFA read was very intriguing and I had fun debating it (even when I had no idea what pyrolysis is and the 1AR impact turns a 2NC impact addon).

3.GDS reading LOST as an aff just amused me.

A final thought- is nuclear power alternative energy?

this topic sucked less than i thought it would

That. hope that applies to poverty too. It seems good, but too critical for my likings. not enough policy neg ground in my opinion.

Good topic, but not as good as SSA, which is still my favorite so far.

definately that

I asked a question......thanks for the helpful douchebag response

just saw this...

TDP will be useful as an advantage CP.

I really don't know if I can say it any simpler than that.

• Downvote 1

just saw this...

yeah, i'm simply calling you out on being an asshole. that's all.

Guest wutlol
yeah, i'm simply calling you out on being an asshole. that's all.

OHOHOHOHOHOHOH

NOW WHAT, BITCH

It was my Junior year and even though this year hasn't been debated out, and I guess I should give it a chance, I think the alternative energy topic was by far my personal favorite topic I've been blessed to have been able to debate in high school.

Favorite: Brazil (complain all you want to the year is over)

Least Favorite: Brownsfields (when not run critically)

• Downvote 1

j

Correct, I don't know if you could have said anything more vague as "it will be used as an advantage cp".

I'm sure that the stantheman was inquiring as to what possible advantages you might be CP'ing out of when running TDP.

It was my Junior year and even though this year hasn't been debated out, and I guess I should give it a chance, I think the alternative energy topic was by far my personal favorite topic I've been blessed to have been able to debate in high school.

Favorite: Brazil (complain all you want to the year is over)

Least Favorite: Brownsfields (when not run critically)

i ran brazil, and i definitely have to agree it was good. i prefer foreign topics like SSA, so it was nice to have that opportunity.

Brownfields- I never saw it run non-critically. My A team ran it slightly critically. Racism and environmental justice impacts, and then read Kato to any disads.

Correct, I don't know if you could have said anything more vague as "it will be used as an advantage cp".

I'm sure that the stantheman was inquiring as to what possible advantages you might be CP'ing out of when running TDP.

Don't you think that it would have been a good idea for him to ask a more specific question then, if that is what he was asking?

As opposed to swearing at me...

• Downvote 1