Oscar the Grouch

college football 2009

you might appreciate this on account of being from umd. a bunch of girls rolled up to the house while i was working the door last night and i was like hey, know anybody here? and they were like not even gonna lie, no, we don't go here, we're from umd and our friend here is really flaky and left us to find something to do ourselves. and i was like hmm. good story. let's see if it checks out. favorite former umd basketball player? expecting to hear juan dixon and let them in. but then one of them said len bias. and for about a second, i was in love with that girl.

true story.

Thank you for that. I have hope for women here. Most girls tell me that Eric Hayes is their favorite umd player of all time because hes so dreamy. And they all hate Vasquez for being a douche. If you asked 100 of them who Len Bias was, about 2 may have heard the name.

I'm not gonna hold it against other teams, because I understand the difficulty there. I'm just saying that Texas simply cannot schedule out-of-conference games against decent teams.

I dont think thats true at all. If Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC, Virginia Tech, et al can do it, then so can Texas. So far, Ohio State's future schedule includes all of the following:

2011: Miami

2012: Miami, Cal, Cincy

2013: Cal

2014: Cincy, Va Tech

2015: Va Tech

2016: Oklahoma

2017: Oklahoma

2018: Tennessee

2019: Tennessee

Its not like Texas doesnt schedule tough games... they played a home and home against Ohio State where the away team won each. But both Penn State and Texas should have still paid off one of the scrubs and found someone more challenging to play. Hell, play each other! haha.

I'm pretty sure Mack Brown has said a few times it isn't worth it to play bigger teams. I believe he said it after the Ohio St. games. I'm looking it up. So it's not that Texas can't schedule these teams, it's that he really doesn't want to.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/columnists/randy_galloway/story/1703515.html

BCS stinks, but some coaches have games within the system

By RANDY GALLOWAY

rgalloway@star-telegram.com

There are those who still defend it, those who still promote it as superior to any other system of real football, and those who still want us to believe that "every Saturday is a playoff Saturday.

"I guess they mean like Texas vs. La. Monroe. Or Florida vs. Florida International. Or my personal favorite, Florida vs. Charleston Southern.

Those who defend it, promote it and want us to believe it, are idiots. And also the money-mafia. And also bowl-game bag men.

But I'm not here today to rip again into the fraudulence that is college football when it comes to the ways and means of determining what in the end will be, and always has been, a bogus national champion.

It is the system, the BCS system. It's not going to change anytime soon.

How then, do you "play" the system?

Let us consider three cases by using the names of Mack Brown, Bob Stoops and Gary Patterson, currently the three most successful large-time college coaches of our territory. And that's not belittling the Plains' Pirate out in Lubbock. Coach Leach is dug-in on this issue. The others aren't. Not necessarily.

At the late October pivotal point of the college season, Brown of Texas has the most open road to a bogus national title game, with the SEC duo of Florida and Alabama as a toss-up to provide the opposition.

But I'm here mainly to praise Bob Stoops, although I noticed I'm a couple of days late.

My friend, Berry Tramel of TheOklahoman, does as good a job as anybody in the country in attempting to provide rational opinion when it comes to his main precinct, which is the Norman nuthouse.

This week, Tramel gave a strong printed butt-pat, and stellar advice to Stoops, who has an OU team with a 3-3 record, and a stud quarterback with his shoulder busted again. Read on:

"Pride still matters. Some things are more important than championships. Like honor and self-respect. There is honor in competition.

"Honor in building up your sport, instead of tearing it down. There is no honor in purchased victory or manufactured success."

Hear. Hear.

Stoops got burned to the ground this season because he played a strong nonconference schedule. Well, mainly, he and OU were torched by the Sam Bradford injuries, but ...

Even with another quarterback, Stoops could have played Mack Brown's non-conference schedule, and be 5-1 right now, with only a 16-13 loss to Texas, which in BCS style points would have been more impressive, sans Bradford, than the W for Texas.

With a weak Big 12 ahead of him, and if Bradford can return again, Stoops could be plotting a repeat of last season. You remember last season, when the Longhorns beat him good in October, and still got shafted (my opinion) when OU went to the bogus BCS title game because Mack had too many shrimp on his nonconference plate.

In September, before the opener against BYU in Arlington, we had Stoops on the local radio show. I complimented him on being willing to man-up in the early go by playing quality opposition.

He paused before answering, then said, "It's good, but only if you win the games." Against nationally ranked BYU and Miami, he didn't win the games.

Still, he's doing it right. The stupid system will reward him, and has. If you win the games.

Then there's Coach Brown. Will he ever go back to those VY days of head-up against Ohio State? Why should he? The system killed him a year ago, but it is neck-nuzzling him at the moment because Texas played snoozers in September.

Let it be noted, the Longhorns are mixing in a home and home with UCLA the next two years. At least that's somebody. But Mack has already said he doesn't think it's worth it in the long run, not with this BSC crap. He may be right.

Out in Lubbock, The Plains' Pirate prefers it as weak as possible in nonconference, and he has been rewarded. Then again, Mike Leach does have TCU on his schedule the next two years, even after the Frogs skunked him the last time those two teams met.

Meanwhile, Gary Patterson watches this from his local perch on University Drive. He's on the outside of the BCS money train, but the door is now slightly open after much political pressure.

So Patterson has his own "system" at TCU. Schedule two schools a season from BCS conferences, then hope you pull off the double of beating big dogs BYU and Utah in conference, and don't let any of the other Mountain West pups bite you.

By the way, those two nonconference games, Patterson hopes, will produce double W's for the Frogs, with at least one of the foes going on to win nine or so games. Impress the pollsters and computers. Pile up style points. Well, road victories at Clemson and Virginia won't get the backend of the plan (the nine or so wins from one of the foes) this season, but TCU is still well positioned.

On Saturday night, the Frogs are in Provo to play BYU. It is the best college game in the country this week. Even GameDay, with Kirk, Coach and them (the best pregame show in any sport) will be in Provo, which is a very rare case of ignoring ESPN and ABC money ties with BCS conferences, including the Big 12.

Patterson is doing what he has to do. Mack is doing it the easy, and some will say, smart way. But Stoops? Now that's the manly way.

"Big Game Bob" may be dead, but Stoops hasn't lost his guts, while so many others have, gelded by a system that stinks.

------------------------------------------------------

Then again you have Texas playing Cal and Minn. in coming seasons

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4485237

Texas beefed up its nonconference schedule in future seasons, announcing home-and-home agreements to play Minnesota and California in 2015 and 2016.

The Longhorns will travel to Minneapolis for a game against the Gophers on Sept. 19, 2015. The Gophers play in Austin on Sept. 17, 2016.

The Bears will visit Austin on Sept. 12, 2015, with the Longhorns making the trip to Berkeley on Sept. 10, 2016.

Big 12 blog

Griffin ESPN.com's Tim Griffin writes about all things Big 12 in his conference blog.

• Blog network:

College Football Nation

The Longhorns' weak non-conference schedule has already been called into question this season. The Longhorns defeated Louisiana-Monroe at home to open the season and toppled Wyoming on the road last week. They have upcoming home games against UTEP and UCF, giving them a non-conference schedule with no opponents from conferences who are automatically affiliated with the BCS.

Texas has aimed to improve its non-conference schedule in recent years, particularly after Utah and Arkansas both opted out of scheduling deals.

The Longhorns and California have met four times with Texas holding a 4-0 advantage. The last time the two teams met was in 1970, when Texas won 56-15 in Austin.

Texas and Minnesota have met only once in the history of both programs -- a 47-19 victory by the Gophers in Minneapolis in 1936.

Gophers coach Tim Brewster served as an assistant on Mack Brown's staff at North Carolina from 1989 to 1997 and at Texas from 1998 to 2001.

The Longhorns also announced they have filled a pair of non-conference dates in 2013 and 2014. Texas will host New Mexico State on Aug. 31, 2013, and North Texas will visit Austin on Aug. 30, 2014.

Texas has won 15 straight non-conference games, which is tied for the second-longest non-conference winning streak in the nation and is tied for the longest in school history.

Indiana just got fucked on a TD. If Iowa wins because of that, I'll be pissed.

There's no need for the Big Ten to be involved with the national championship picture.

there were three glaringly awful calls in the second quarter of that game, all going for iowa. i stopped watching at half because bloons tower defense 4 is more entertaining than big 10 football. and most other football, to be fair. THERE ARE BATTLESHIP TOWERS NOW!

More on awful calls. Iowa just "completed" a pass by scooping it off the ground.

Stupid fucking officials.

Edit

The play was reversed, but then immediately following that they had a very questionable helmet to helmet

Edited by Lynn C. Thompson

That call got overturned.

The calls in the second quarter were shit too.

Ricky Stanzi just threw interception number five. Four of his last eight attempts have been intercepted. He's doing all he can to get Iowa out of there.

Iowa needs to be undefeated so that when when they get ousted out of the natl championsip as such, youll have a large school from a large conference from a politically important state getting screwed.

Playoff :)

What did I say about USC being the most overrated team in the pac 10. Also, Oregon has proved that they are legit.

Edited by Rhizome

Well overrated doesn't mean they aren't a top 15 team (9-13) but yeah that game was very convincing that oregon could be a good contender for the ncg if cinci or texas/florida/bama loses.

Iowa needs to be undefeated so that when when they get ousted out of the natl championsip as such, youll have a large school from a large conference from a politically important state getting screwed.

Playoff :)

I don't really want a full fledged playoff... a plus 1 system could work fine tho.

Favre didn't get a sweep this weekend. In "Case" nobody noticed (and, given the history of my alma mater, nobody did...)

UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON - 50

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI - 43

And BTW: how can people on a debate message board not be pulling for "Case" for the Heisman?

EATEMUP!

TCU at least to me has a good chance of doing what Utah did last year. they are solid and have beat some very good teams, which helped to vault them over Boise State. I think they will probably only get as high as 4 in the nation, but they are probably the best teams not coming out of a BCS conference.

I don't really want a full fledged playoff... a plus 1 system could work fine tho.

Were could have 4 undefeated teams this year.

A +1 wouldnt work

Say it with me

"Playoff"

tcu, boise state, texas, and one of either florida and alabama will probably be undefeated going into the bowl game.

iowa has only one tough game remaining, against ohio state.

i think Cincinnati will lose to pittsburgh or west virginia or both.

its possible that 6 teams could finish the regular season/conference championship games undefeated but it looks almost certain that at least 3 will. yay college football

Were could have 4 undefeated teams this year.

A +1 wouldnt work

Say it with me

"Playoff"

A plus one would work fine... its essentially a 4 team playoff anyhow.