Oscar the Grouch

college football 2009

Florida and Bama in the BCS Championship. Gators win it with a last second TD by Tebow.

The ONLY way this is possible is if this scenario happens:

Iowa loses the rest of its big 10 games

McCoy dies in a car wreck and texas loses to okie state, baylor, etc. and loses the big 12 south title

USC decides to realize that they are a shitty team and refuses to play for the rest of the year and loses another two times in close games to arizona and x.

the big 12 north decides that Kansas State shouldn't even be recognized as a program and in lieu of a game decides to 'give' k-state to the WAC.

Cinci? LOL

Oregon would then decide to all die in a plane....no, not in a plane crash just in a plane.

also, boise state. just saying.

oh, AND THEN:

Florida and Alabma play a 10-3 game with florida leading the way and then ingram blows past floridas defense with .04 seconds left on their own 5 and forces the game into overtime. In octo-overtime Alabama manages a lucky 52 yard field goal and teabow throws one of his 3 interceptions off his 3 interceptions, no tds but amazing 140 yard game in the air and 30 on the ground forcing the tide into the championship game.

THATS the only way because kurth herbstreet and the rest of the espn/bcs base just LOATHE the idea of anyone else in the championship game save texas or Iowa.

That's all.

It'll work fine. Groh's been doing it for years. Thats why he still has a job. Also, lol at me for standing outside to watch that game.

you might appreciate this on account of being from umd. a bunch of girls rolled up to the house while i was working the door last night and i was like hey, know anybody here? and they were like not even gonna lie, no, we don't go here, we're from umd and our friend here is really flaky and left us to find something to do ourselves. and i was like hmm. good story. let's see if it checks out. favorite former umd basketball player? expecting to hear juan dixon and let them in. but then one of them said len bias. and for about a second, i was in love with that girl.

true story.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I understand that it is very rare and has only happened a few times. But, it can. So fuck off you doucher that said it can't be done. But I'll give you credit for one thing Superman "05", you're right when you say, "I do not know anymore." ;)

I know it's very hard for it to happen, and that's why I wasn't being serious.

Florida and Boise State in Championship.

Florida wins. :)

Edited by DC10FlyBy
  • Downvote 2

you might appreciate this on account of being from umd. a bunch of girls rolled up to the house while i was working the door last night and i was like hey, know anybody here? and they were like not even gonna lie, no, we don't go here, we're from umd and our friend here is really flaky and left us to find something to do ourselves. and i was like hmm. good story. let's see if it checks out. favorite former umd basketball player? expecting to hear juan dixon and let them in. but then one of them said len bias. and for about a second, i was in love with that girl.

true story.

you hit that?

a) norris i am very, very sorry about that iowa game. that was horrible.

B) i do think iowa will lose to ohio state. i really would be shocked if osu doesnt win easily. this is coming from someone who predicted we would lose to purdue.

but my thoughts on college football as a whole are pretty simple. tim tebow is not very good, and yet he might become just the second person to ever win two heismans. aren't people concerned about this? i think it is a tragedy. he has been less than mediocre all year and people still want to hand him the trophy. Florida non-conference schedule is a joke, they needed horrendous officiating to get by arkansas at home, and somehow ohio state is the most hated team in the country? it is just absurd to me.

i dont know, i used to love college football but it is all so subjective. How on earth could someone actually compare USC and Florida? its impossible. Boise State is ranked higher than USC. really? does anyone actually believe Cincy is better than USC? Texas has looked awful just about every week, but they dont play anyone. Iowa's big win is against a team that hasnt played anyone, penn state. There is nooooo way to rationally converse, let alone argue, about this stuff

i feel violated and dirty after yesterday. tcu is for real, folks (combined with max hall being really overrated). i pity the team that shortchanges them in a bowl game come a few months.

\

Eh, I was over it. We gave it the best shot we could

(I say we, for I was there and the crowd was into it)

When we lost to central i realized this would be a rebuilding year. We won the one game that mattered so everything else is just icing on the cake.

If we can win 2 of our 4 remaining games we get to go to a bowl and get that extra month of practice thats so key to a good program.

B) i do think iowa will lose to ohio state. i really would be shocked if osu doesnt win easily. this is coming from someone who predicted we would lose to purdue.

but my thoughts on college football as a whole are pretty simple. tim tebow is not very good, and yet he might become just the second person to ever win two heismans. aren't people concerned about this? i think it is a tragedy. he has been less than mediocre all year and people still want to hand him the trophy. Florida non-conference schedule is a joke, they needed horrendous officiating to get by arkansas at home, and somehow ohio state is the most hated team in the country? it is just absurd to me.

i dont know, i used to love college football but it is all so subjective. How on earth could someone actually compare USC and Florida? its impossible. Boise State is ranked higher than USC. really? does anyone actually believe Cincy is better than USC? Texas has looked awful just about every week, but they dont play anyone. Iowa's big win is against a team that hasnt played anyone, penn state. There is nooooo way to rationally converse, let alone argue, about this stuff

I think USC is overranked as anyone else this year. I think alabama is the real deal. Ingram>McCoy>?.

I can only hope that Cinci, TCU and x end up crashing the BCS.

Actually, think about this scenario:

Florida loses two more games this year to bad teams.

Texas loses to okie state, baylor and tam.

OU wins the rest of the confrence and heads to the big 12 championship and beats kansas(again) by 28 points who's ranked in the top 5 at that point. Does OU HONESTLY deserve to be a three loss team in a BCS game? I don't think so.

Does anyone else see this as a potential 'BCS or Playoffs' pick it year? OR if Kansas state beats texas in the championship team. Do THEY deserve to be a three loss team? Iowa State? Kansas if they lose again and win the big 12 game? I mean, shit.

Edited by Rhizome

I think USC is overranked as anyone else this year. I think alabama is the real deal. Ingram>McCoy>?.

I can only hope that Cinci, TCU and x end up crashing the BCS.

Actually, think about this scenario:

Florida loses two more games this year to bad teams.

Texas loses to okie state, baylor and tam.

OU wins the rest of the confrence and heads to the big 12 championship and beats kansas(again) by 28 points who's ranked in the top 5 at that point. Does OU HONESTLY deserve to be a three loss team in a BCS game? I don't think so.

Does anyone else see this as a potential 'BCS or Playoffs' pick it year? OR if Kansas state beats texas in the championship team. Do THEY deserve to be a three loss team? Iowa State? Kansas if they lose again and win the big 12 game? I mean, shit.

I honestly have no idea what you said. But I'm going to try and decipher.

Your first paragraph makes sense you feel USC is as overrated as anyone else, Alabama is good and you have a question whether Ingram is better than McCoy. Fair enough.

In the second paragraph you really begin to fall apart. You want Cincinnati, Texas Christen and "x" to crash the BCS. The main problem is you feel if Cincinnati makes a BCS bowl this would be "crashing" the system. Wrong. Cincinnati is a member of the Big East and awarded an automatic bid to a BCS bowl. Although the Big East sucks as a conference and really doesn't deserve an automatic bid, they still get one and a Big East team ends up "crashing" the BCS every year. No problem with the call for TCU to make it...but x? Way to go out on a limb there Tommy. The only non-BCS conference teams in the top 15 are TCU and Boise St. Utah is number 16. But it's a stretch to say the BCS would select all three, mainly because that would leave only one BCS at-large bid left. But also because the BCS only HAS to take a non-BCS conference champion if they are ranked in the top 12 of the final standings. TCU and Utah are in the same conference and thus only one would get an automatic bid if they are in the top 12. TCU/Utah and Boise are really the only hopes for BCS crashers this year...Houston has a lot of ground to make up. But even getting two in is a long shot. The five non-BCS conferences only get one automatic berth if they meet the provisions. Let's work through the math, assuming TCU/Utah/Boise are in the top 12 at the end of the season, that's seven of ten spots already filled. Assuming the the title game is SEC champ v Texas and number three is SEC loser, that's an eighth spot filled. To assume the BCS wouldn't want a second team from the Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-Ten or ACC over one of the mid-majors is a long shot. It's tough to get that second team in and they don't have any guarantees.

I really have no idea what you're talking about in the last few paragraphs. You mention Texas losing to Baylor, which is just stupid. You talk about OU running the rest of the conference and beating Kansas, who is a top five team by that point somehow, then you mention Texas beating Kansas State, and you also mention Iowa State in a conversation about college football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'll try to rephrase better.

I'll give you the cinci point - but i am coming more from a sense of 'they REALLY aren't much better than Hawaii was in 06' standpoint. I guess this comes from my disagreement with the auto-bid system (and how if you do manage to go undefeated you deserve a chance at the bcs championship game) but that's a separate discussion. case in point - cinci is a bad enough team that if they go to a bcs game i'd consider it a crash. You also have central michigan which could cause some rumbles later on, Boise, Utah, Houston, and Navy (depending on how they run their table. If they beat the Irish fairly easily then I could see some small talk about them being a 2 loss bcs team - also, dobbs is a beast. better than McCoy and Teafuck)

Also, I am assuming that Finley could have a big game against texas (doubtful) but assuming worse case scenario, Texax loses two games or a three loss teams ends up winning the big 12 meaning they get an auto-bid. Should a three loss team REALLLLLY be there?

also, Iowa state is above kansas in the big 12 rankings. Hell, they are only a game back from k-state who i doubt can run the table.

lets assume that texas wins out. they only have one marginally difficult game left after playing a joke of non conference schedule (like half other big 6 teams in the top ten). there is only one reasonable scenario in which the big 12 gets two teams in the bcs this year - if oklahoma state beats texas, and then both win out. i dont forsee it happening. that puts texas in the championship.

considering the cakewalk florida has, there is no reason not to circle SEC championship game for them. other than LSU, alabama has no one they shouldnt stomp into the ground (same in reverse). the winner of LSU-bama will face off against florida with the winner going to the BCS championship game. the chance of an SEC team not going to the BCS championship is only if LSU wins both against bama + florida in sloppy games filled with ineptitude and no one at the top of the list loses and cincy and iowa both clean up the rest of the season with monster wins. not gonna happen.

the winner of this weekends game between USC-Oregon will determine who the pac 10 sends to the rose bowl. i will laugh if blount comes back "just in time for the usc game". after the second week against purdue, oregon has been looking decent. usc is all over the place with their stingy defense but terrible offense. its too bad they dont face a legit pass rush team to make barkley feel the heat.

the acc is just a mess. as usual. they havent had a single truly dominant team since the 1999 florida seminoles (was it 99 or 00?... its been THAT long). the acc's most interesting team is a team that only throws the ball 11 times a game. dont get me wrong, i love a ground control offense as much as the next big 10 fan... but they actually CANT pass the ball versus choosing not to pass the ball.

neither the SEC race or the Big 12 race are entertaining by any means. its basically a lock. the pac ten game comes down to a game in october. the acc is a mess. there are only two conference races that are actually interesting to watch: big east and big ten. (scary).

the big east has three undefeated teams in conference play and they all still have yet to play each other. none of them look like world beaters (though cincy is doing their best imitation), but each of them has a different strength and weakness which makes predicting the outcome completely random. the games should all be entertaining if not lopsided blowouts where one team plugs its own weakness well enough. if pitt wins out as does cincy, by virtue of attrition, pitt would be ranked high enough to make their last game of the season a defacto BCS bid game. hows that for entertaining? a conference in which every game still matters after halloween.

the big ten will be an interesting mess if ohio state beats iowa but penn state wins out. three one loss conference play teams. two of them would be ranked in the top ten should that happen. if ohio state wins out, two teams are still ranked in the top 10. if penn state and iowa wins out, two are still ranked in the top 10. iowa is the king of winning ugly... but i sit here and think of how pretty it could have been if their best players werent hurt and out for the season. and just because they win ugly doesnt mean that they arent a solid football team. if their offense starts clicking just a little bit, they will be scary. give it time and experience. and its just a cop out when people say stupid things like "if arkansas had beat florida, it is a testament to the strength and parity of the SEC" and "haha. purdue beat ohio state. what a shitty conference."

as much as i love and hate to say it... the two conferences with the least likelihood of producing a BCS national champ are the two conferences that are most interesting to watch.

I'll try to rephrase better.

I'll give you the cinci point - but i am coming more from a sense of 'they REALLY aren't much better than Hawaii was in 06' standpoint. I guess this comes from my disagreement with the auto-bid system (and how if you do manage to go undefeated you deserve a chance at the bcs championship game) but that's a separate discussion. case in point - cinci is a bad enough team that if they go to a bcs game i'd consider it a crash. You also have central michigan which could cause some rumbles later on, Boise, Utah, Houston, and Navy (depending on how they run their table. If they beat the Irish fairly easily then I could see some small talk about them being a 2 loss bcs team - also, dobbs is a beast. better than McCoy and Teafuck)

Also, I am assuming that Finley could have a big game against texas (doubtful) but assuming worse case scenario, Texax loses two games or a three loss teams ends up winning the big 12 meaning they get an auto-bid. Should a three loss team REALLLLLY be there?

also, Iowa state is above kansas in the big 12 rankings. Hell, they are only a game back from k-state who i doubt can run the table.

Do you just look at numbers and not try to put them in context at all? Cincinnati is a bad enough team you'd consider it a crash if they made a BCS bowl? What? They're ranked an average of sixth in the computer polls, objective computer polls. Sagarin, probably the most trusted of the computer polls, has them at six. Are they overrated? Yeah probably but their computer ranking is better then Boise St. Sagarin has them ahead of TCU, USC and Texas. If Cincinnati goes undefeated there wouldn't be any "crashing" going on and say LSU beats Alabama and Florida and Texas loses there would be a major argument for them to be in the BCS championship. In the 2007-08 BCS final rankings Hawaii had an average computer ranking of 12, so no they're not the same.

Please don't talk about Navy. No no no no no no no no no. If Central Mich goes undefeated they don't deserve a BCS bowl or any talk of the national championship game. Just because you go undefeated does not grant you the right to play in the NCG, look at the context.

Kansas St is leading the Big 12 North because their three wins have come against three of the four worst teams in the conference (they can't play themselves), they still have to play Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and Mizzou. It would be great if they get into any bowl game, but that would require another win. Iowa State is the same story, with the exception of their win over Nebraska. These standings won't hold up, so stop talking about them as if they mean something right now. Rankings are not the same as standings, so please don't use the terms interchangeably.

If a two or three loss team wins the Big 12 they have ever right to be in a BCS bowl as certain teams from the ACC and Big East had in the past, but these Big 12 teams are probably better than that. Virginia Tech had four losses last year, Wake Forest won the ACC a few years ago. I know you'll probably cry how it's not fair, but the story is this: Schools from the BCS conferences represent major metropolitan areas of the country. Their fan bases are huge and they like to travel and spend money in January. There may be an exception here or there, but as a whole the BCS conferences can bring in more money than the mid-majors to cities hosting games, and to television ad revenue. That's the way it is, and that's the way it's going to be.

LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU

GO TIGERS!

Edited by SEVVDOG
your stupid message comes across just as clearly in normal font, asswipe
  • Downvote 3

lets assume that texas wins out. they only have one marginally difficult game left after playing a joke of non conference schedule (like half other big 6 teams in the top ten).

to be fair we tried to get UCLA and Arkansas in our non-conference schedule, but we couldn't pay UCLA enough and arkansas backed out because they wanted an easier schedule.

it is hard to play decent teams out of conference when your program is as good as ours is because nobody wants to risk a loss.

and its just a cop out when people say stupid things like "if arkansas had beat florida, it is a testament to the strength and parity of the SEC" and "haha. purdue beat ohio state. what a shitty conference."

Arkansas is a legit team. Ohio State, probably not. Florida is definitely overrated and, in a world with optimal reffing, loses the game to Arkansas - the same Arkansas team that beat Georgia and Auburn and kept it close against Ole Miss.The reason people say the SEC has parity and the big 10 doesn't is because the power level of the SEC is way higher than the power level of the big 10.

to be fair we tried to get UCLA and Arkansas in our non-conference schedule, but we couldn't pay UCLA enough and arkansas backed out because they wanted an easier schedule.

it is hard to play decent teams out of conference when your program is as good as ours is because nobody wants to risk a loss.

In the real world, thats a line of excuses. And dont get me wrong, I am eternally annoyed at the Penn State non-conf schedule being so weak. The problem with these schedules is that schools are scheduling out far in advance. You have schools that have scheduled into the 2020's! Who knows how good (or bad) those teams will be then? Thankfully, Alabama is on the schedule the next two years.

PS - UCLA isnt a good team. Just because its in a BCS conference doesnt mean that its a good team. Not unless you call Indiana a good team too. Hell, UCLA is almost certainly not even going to be bowl eligible. Which makes it funny that you cant pay them enough...

Arkansas is a legit team. Ohio State, probably not. Florida is definitely overrated and, in a world with optimal reffing, loses the game to Arkansas - the same Arkansas team that beat Georgia and Auburn and kept it close against Ole Miss.The reason people say the SEC has parity and the big 10 doesn't is because the power level of the SEC is way higher than the power level of the big 10.

Only if you consider Michigan a legit team. Michigan took it to the wire against Iowa and pulled out a win over ND. The Arkansas game against Georgia was a display of neolithic incompetence on defense by both teams. Having a thousand yards of offense in a game (between both teams - Ark and Ga) is not in an of itself a bad thing. But it is bad when you look at the rest of the games and realize pretty damn quick that they couldnt repeat that performance unless they played a pop warner team. If it werent for the Ark game, they would be averaging less than 20 points a game. If it werent for that and the So.Car. game, they would be averaging around 15-17 points a game.

Auburn is another team that should have never been ranked in the first place but was by virtue of being in the SEC and having beaten ball state and La Tech. Whoop de doo. You cannot be a solid team and finish in the bottom third of your conference. I dont care if your conference is composed of the top two teams in each of the six majors. You choose to make your bed in that conference now play like a champ.

I have no problems admitting that these are some tough years for the Big 10. They are absolutely shittastic. But then again, I remember the years when no one could touch the Big 10 - not even the SEC. Everyone goes through cycles. Big 10 will be back soon.

The only conference with 'parity' is the ACC. They are all equally mediocre.

PS - UCLA isnt a good team. Just because its in a BCS conference doesnt mean that its a good team. Not unless you call Indiana a good team too. Hell, UCLA is almost certainly not even going to be bowl eligible. Which makes it funny that you cant pay them enough...

I'll just pretend I didn't see that.

true story.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SEVVDOG again.

Damn it.

In the real world, thats a line of excuses. And dont get me wrong, I am eternally annoyed at the Penn State non-conf schedule being so weak. The problem with these schedules is that schools are scheduling out far in advance. You have schools that have scheduled into the 2020's! Who knows how good (or bad) those teams will be then? Thankfully, Alabama is on the schedule the next two years.

Yeah, agreed. I just don't think it's great to fault texas for not having a strong out-of-conference schedule when it's impossible for them to even schedule less-than-impressive teams like UCLA and Arkansas.

The big 12 teams that do schedule tougher out of conference games seem to just be getting lucky. OU played a Miami team that randomly started winning games after going 7-6 in the previous season in which it played 2 ranked opponents (and lost to them both). BYU had a similarly easy schedule (2 ranked opponents, lost to both) last season.

I'm not gonna hold it against other teams, because I understand the difficulty there. I'm just saying that Texas simply cannot schedule out-of-conference games against decent teams.

Only if you consider Michigan a legit team. Michigan took it to the wire against Iowa and pulled out a win over ND. The Arkansas game against Georgia was a display of neolithic incompetence on defense by both teams. Having a thousand yards of offense in a game (between both teams - Ark and Ga) is not in an of itself a bad thing. But it is bad when you look at the rest of the games and realize pretty damn quick that they couldnt repeat that performance unless they played a pop warner team. If it werent for the Ark game, they would be averaging less than 20 points a game. If it werent for that and the So.Car. game, they would be averaging around 15-17 points a game.

I'll buy that michigan is a good team to the extent that Arkansas is. IMO Arkansas beating Florida (which is what should have happened) just demonstrates that Florida is ridiculously overrated, and that Arkansas is probably better than their mediocre record would indicate.

The only conference with 'parity' is the ACC. They are all equally mediocre.

agreed 110%

I don't think the SEC has the parity people say it has but I also probably think that it's head-to-head a better conference than the big 10 this year. But, you're right, these things are cyclical. It'll be interesting to see where we are next year minus mccoy, bradford, and tebow. Maybe Terrelle Pryor will start playing some football. We'll see.

Edited by omnomnomnom