Sign in to follow this  
westj

2009-2010 TOC Bid Tournament List?

This week has proven to be especially difficult for the TOC Administration, and for the Policy Debate Community as a whole.

Look for an announcement and release sometime next week following many people's return from Professor Smith's Memorial services in Winston Salem.

• Upvote 2

from jon cruz who got this from jw:

"the list will be out within a week. (The delay on his end was unintentional and unavoidable.)"

• Upvote 1

From JW:

TOC APPROVED TOURNAMENTS IN POLICY DEBATE FOR 2009-2010

The following Policy debate tournament are OCTAFINALS qualifiers for 2009-10

Berkeley (CA)

Blake (MN)

Emory University (GA)

Glenbrooks (IL)

Greenhill School (TX)

Harvard University (MA)

Montgomery Bell Academy (TN)

St. Mark's School (TX)

The following Policy debate tournaments are QUARTERFINALS qualifiers for 2009-10:

Alta (UT)

Georgetown Day (DC)

Golden Desert (NV)

Grapevine (TX)

Lexington (MA)

New Trier (IL)

Ohio Valley (KY)

Stanford (CA)

University of Michigan (MI)

University of Redlands (CA)

University of Southern California (CA)

University of Texas at Austin (TX)

Wake Forest University (NC)

The following Policy debate tournaments are SEMIFINALS qualifiers for 2009-10:

Bronx (NY)

Colleyville (TX)

Dowling (IA)

University of Georgia (GA)

Gonzaga (WA)

Houston-Memorial (TX)

Iowa Caucus (IA)

Kansas City Community College (KS)

Lakeland (NY)

Maine East (IL)

Meadows (NV)

Valley (IA)

The following Policy debate tournaments are FINALS qualifiers for 2009-10:

Arizona

Auburn (WA)

Florida Blue Key (FL)

Fullerton (CA)

La Costa Canyon (CA)

Long Beach (CA)

Marquette (WI)

Omaha-Westside (NE)

Pennsbury (PA)

Samford University (AL)

Vestavia Hills (AL)

Whitman College (WA)

The following tournaments/awards are INELIGIBLE as qualifiers:

* Any round-robin, summer institute, NFL CFL, or state championship tournaments (even if conducted by schools/universities which host TOC approved tournaments)

* Any speaker award at any tournament (even if earned at TOC approved tournaments)

* Any tournament held outside the eligibility period (September 1, 2009 to March 1, 2010.

* Any tournament not on this approved tournament list unless added by the TOC Director.

• Upvote 3

Looks like Blake finally got the upgrade it deserved.

EDIT: Also, I see that Stanford and Golden Desert both retained the quarters bids that were supposed to have been temporary last year. I realize Redlands probably won't be held again this year anyway, but was it intentional to make those permanent?

Edited by TheHutt

When I inquired with Bill Southworth about the dates for the Redlands tournament this is what he sent me.

----- Original Message -----

To: First Pacific Financial

Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:24 PM

Subject: RE: Redlands High School Debate Tournament

I fear the Golden West is permanently deceased.

Edited by Robbgray
formatting
  • Upvote 1

It looks to me like the TOC changes are shifting bids from the south to the west.

Blake (MN) (moved from Quarters to Octas)

Golden Desert (NV)(moved from semis to Quarters)(this was done last year, as a temporary move, because of Redlands)

Stanford (CA) (moved from semis to Quarters)(same as Golden Desert)

Arizona (New bid)

Vestavia Hills (AL)(Dropped down from semis to finals)

Carrollton (GA) lost finals bid

Westminster lost finals bid

• Upvote 1

The Arizona bid was a late addition last year.

I'm interested to see how they distribute the 8 bids from Redlands (since it's cancelled?). Maybe an addition of a South Tournament?

EDIT: Anyone else notice that "smaller" University/College hosted tournaments aren't losing their bids when "smaller" High School hosted tournaments do lose their bids?

I'm interested to see how they distribute the 8 bids from Redlands (since it's cancelled?). Maybe an addition of a South Tournament?

It will work the same way it did last year- Golden Desert (NV) and Stanford (CA) have both been permanently shifted from semis to quarters bids (a total addition of 8 bids) to compensate for the loss of Redlands.

i thought redlands was only canceled for last year

well the situation has not gotten much better, there are alot of diffrent factors stoping the tournament

EDIT: Anyone else notice that "smaller" University/College hosted tournaments aren't losing their bids when "smaller" High School hosted tournaments do lose their bids?

I'm going to do my annual geographic analysis later this week.

Might that be due to the perceived greater stability of college programs than high school programs? With all the economic pressure at the moment, school budgets being slashed and all... I figure high school activities are the first on the chopping block.

I'm going to do my annual geographic analysis later this week.

Might that be due to the perceived greater stability of college programs than high school programs? With all the economic pressure at the moment, school budgets being slashed and all... I figure high school activities are the first on the chopping block.

Ankur, I don't know what exactly you mean by "geographic analysis" - but you know what would be super sweet?

MAPS!

I love maps and charts, but I don't have time to master things like HeatMapAPI, unfortunately. I banged my head against some geocommons stuff for a while before giving up last night.

If there was like a set of TOC maps that

- charted bid density as a heat map

- included a temporal map that showed the shifts in bid distribution over a ten year period

- allowed overlays of some crucial pieces of data such as population density, proximity to major airports and maybe even educational inequity

I'd be totally ecstatic. Way more powerful than a bunch of words.

Someone will inevitably do this. A really interesting tool to analyze Jeff Miller's point would be a 20 year temporal map that demonstrated the relative bid stability of high school vs. college hosted tournaments.

A really interesting tool to analyze Jeff Miller's point would be a 20 year temporal map that demonstrated the relative bid stability of high school vs. college hosted tournaments.
Not sure how someone would do that given the drastic changes that have taken place in the qualifying procedures over that span of time. In the mid- to late-80s, for instance, teams could qualify by reaching one "bid round" at a TOC-approved tournament (that's how riff-raff like me were able to qualify teams back in those days)...

Not sure how someone would do that given the drastic changes that have taken place in the qualifying procedures over that span of time. In the mid- to late-80s, for instance, teams could qualify by reaching one "bid round" at a TOC-approved tournament (that's how riff-raff like me were able to qualify teams back in those days)...

Not to be an age reminder, but... er, that was, in fact, over 20 years ago, Mr. Shuman. :)

Not to be an age reminder, but... er, that was, in fact, over 20 years ago, Mr. Shuman. :)
I understand. I'm just saying that it might be difficult to make apples-to-apples comparisons of bid distribution from ANY 20-year period, since the bid system itself has changed significantly over time. Actually, I think it would be interesting to map out THAT evolution visually, but as you might expect that sort of math-geekiness is beyond my ken... ;)

Is there a thread with a running list of WHEN these tournaments are happening? I can't find one, so I'm assuming there isn't one.

Is there a thread with a running list of WHEN these tournaments are happening? I can't find one, so I'm assuming there isn't one.

"The thread" can be found on the NDCA Calendar and using the Joy of Tournaments main page.

well the situation has not gotten much better, there are alot of diffrent factors stoping the tournament

I thought the situation last year was renovation of an area of the campus or something.