Mister Sulu

Becoming a Vegetarian

I grew up in a vegetarian household. I never eat meat at home unless I am fending for myself (which is about once a month). Its very easy to eat vegetarian if you realize that there are a zillion varieties of fruits and vegetables - and permute that by the number of ways to prepare them.

A lot of vegetarians fail their diets by still not eating healthy. Just because you eat some fruits and veggies doesnt mean you are eating healthy.

I'm from a Midwestern, it's not a meal if there's no meat, family as well. I actually make the trek to KC about once a month specifically because they have some great vegetarian restaurants that we simply don't have in NE.

Iron-do be careful about your iron intake. If you don't eat a lot of dark green veggies (broccoli, spinach, etc.), you may want to consider a supplement. Flintstones vitamins have a kids vitamin with iron in it that I used to take.

Being a vegetarian in a meat-eating family is just a matter of planning and will-power. I do a lot of cooking on my own, keep vegetarian chili in the fridge for when someone else is making dinner, etc. Do be careful, especially when you go to college, about what is in your diet. A lot of vegetarians tend to begin to eat a lot of processed foods and junk foods.

Is it a moral or dietary choice?

If it's the former, then watch the veg-head propaganda whenever you feel the need for meat and go cold turkey.

If it's the latter, then incrementalism might be a better route. Set goals, meet (hehe, meat) them and then set stricter ones. Use meat only as a reward.

i would not suggest becoming a vegetarian if you are not in a town/household/environment that makes it easy to obtain and cook vegetarian meals for yourself. it is very easy to get very sick if you do not have the proper foods and ability to prepare them.

this being said, i would try to reduce your meat consumption by alternating days, allow yourself to eat meat 4, then 3, then 2, then once a week, spending a few weeks on each stage until you are meat free. once of the easiest things for me to eat while i was a vegetarian was baked tofu or these things:

product-group-health-blends.gif

which are microwaveable and very tasty.

very sick by eating vegetarian?

this doesnt make any sense... care to clarify?

Guest svfrey
very sick by eating vegetarian?

this doesnt make any sense... care to clarify?

*cough* anemia *cough*

but, like she said, it's only if you suck at being a vegetarian.

*cough* Scurvy *cough*

You can get scurvy from eating all the meat and not enough citrus fruits.

The previous poster was talking about access to foods and preparation of them... failing to see how that --> sick.

none of this thread makes sense

kansas city kid trying to wean himself off of the glory that is bbq

i got called a nazi glutton for this post

say what you want about the nazis, apparently they knew how to eat

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just wanted to offer my two cents:

1) No one has mentioned MorningStar products yet. After about four years of being a vegetarian I have found these products to be the best tasting and closest to the original flesh version. The rest of my family isn't vegetarian, but they like the MorningStar Chik'n Patties better than real chicken because they are a lot less greasy. Thanks to these products I have not missed meat once after quitting cold turkey.

2) You need to watch your health. A mistake many people make when they are transitioning away from meat is to remove meat from meals without replacing it. Instead, they will just increase their portions of the rest of the food to compensate. Even if you take protein supplements, you may end of eating too many carbs and fats.

I'm from a Midwestern, it's not a meal if there's no meat, family as well. I actually make the trek to KC about once a month specifically because they have some great vegetarian restaurants that we simply don't have in NE.

Iron-do be careful about your iron intake. If you don't eat a lot of dark green veggies (broccoli, spinach, etc.), you may want to consider a supplement. Flintstones vitamins have a kids vitamin with iron in it that I used to take.

Being a vegetarian in a meat-eating family is just a matter of planning and will-power. I do a lot of cooking on my own, keep vegetarian chili in the fridge for when someone else is making dinner, etc. Do be careful, especially when you go to college, about what is in your diet. A lot of vegetarians tend to begin to eat a lot of processed foods and junk foods.

I was rereading this thread, and realized that I've totally debated this girl before. Hi Carly. Tell David he's smelly, and that I love him.