Sign in to follow this  
Chaos

Flowing

I'm a slow writer, and have problems writing as fast as my opponents can spread.

Anyone have any advice?

Same, majorly. Help would be major appreciated.

Shorthand or what? What do you use?

Flow on a laptop. There's a lot of good excel spreadsheet templates floating around out there, and you can customize it with macros to enhance the convenience. Plus, you never have to worry about running out of room on the paper.

Flow on a laptop. There's a lot of good excel spreadsheet templates floating around out there, and you can customize it with macros to enhance the convenience. Plus, you never have to worry about running out of room on the paper.

Agreed and also the flow will always be nice neet and organized, and as mentioned before the huge advantage of not runnign out of room is a great thing when trying to write out your rebbutal speeches.

Also if you dont want to use the computer then i would suggest doing some simple flowing drills such as get someone to get a deck of cards and have them read thorugh the entire deck and as he is doing this then just right down the card.

But yes, use shorthand. Develop your own that you and your partner can both read is best. To me it is easier to use paper for organizational purposes during your speech. I have problems scrolling efficiently on a laptop, but I doubt that would be an issue after you do it several times

Flow the author/date first then the tag- it's easier to remember the tag than the author/date, so while the speaker is spreading the card, you'll be writing the tag. It actually does wonders.

Guest Andrew.

don't flow author/ date. don't flow the 1ac/ 1nc. flow just enough so that you can identify the arg; you don't need to write down whole sentences or even whole words.

clifford is kinda right. Flow as little as you need to remember the arg/author and date if relevant to the particular arg

Since I'm not sure where your skill level is, please forgive me if I sound as if I am speaking inappropriately:

1. Develop your own short hand. Others have mentioned this. Don't worry if anyone except you (and possibly your partner) can read it. Start by creating obvious abbreviations. For instance, next year, use "P" for poverty. So a contention that says, "Poverty is significant among American Indians" might appear as "P Sig Am Ind" on your flow. If you can read it, it's a good abbreviation. Also create symbols; for instance I use -> for "this causes" or "which leads to." Use a triangle for "changes" (as in the Greek letter delta).

2. Someone else already mentioned it, but don't feel like you have to write complete sentences or complete words (see above).

3. For my novices, I tell them to write down anything that has a number or letter next to it. If an opponent says, "Contention 1," that's a signal to write down something. Most reasonable debaters number the elements of their disads, kritiks, etc. Those who speak in paragraphs as opposed to outlines are much tougher to flow.

4. Once you are comfortable with jotting down tags, then add source info, then details from the cards themselves (if you listen to the cards, you'll hear about 40-60% that don't necessarily follow what the tag claims). But build up to it. Start with the arguments, then add detail as you become more comfortable and speedy.

5. Practice. Ask your coach if he/she has some tapes of old debates (even LD or PF debates would provide practice). There was another thread about this a few months ago where someone suggested flowing the news broadcasts. I got so in the habit of flowing that I flowed all class lectures -- when I was in college, kids offered to pay me for my notes since I caught so much from practicing so much. Another trick I had in class was to write down notes as I pretended they were for someone who wasn't there -- that forced me to catch more details.

Practice is the most important thing. Developing shorthand is very important as well. One thing worth considering too is the pens you use. A good quality fine tip ball point pen (I use Unibal Vision Elites) will allow you to write smaller and faster than is possible with a medium point or cheap ball-point. Quality pens write smoother, and that means faster. Fine points put less ink on the paper, so you can write smaller. But mainly, practice, practice then practice some more.

For more advanced advice: work on remembering what was said for a minute before writing it down. This gets helpful when you have a lot to write on one card, and know the content of another (like Khalilzad 95 which just gets a big K-95 on my flows). This means you can go back and fill in author/date or even part of a long tag on the previous couple of cards if you get behind (and that will happen to even the best flow-guru from time to time.) One way to do this is to flow sportscenter, and remember the scores while flowing the details & statistical information. Then, as you get a few games in, go back and fill in the scores of the first game from memory and so on.

I'm a slow writer, and have problems writing as fast as my opponents can spread.

Anyone have any advice?

m a slow wrter too! t suxs!

:):D:cool: