Superman "05"

Oh Shit, Here we come Iran...

If we attack Iran, I will go to Washington and renounce my citezenship while peeing on the flag right on the steps of the capitol.

Edited by brorlob
  • Upvote 1

If we attack Iran, I will go to Washington and renounce my citezenship while peeing on the flag right on the steps of the capitol.

I'm there as well... But what do you think about this article, dont you think this is a propaganda piece to rally people that attack is good?

Edited by Superman "05"
sdfsd
  • Downvote 1

I'm there as well... But what do you think about this article, dont you think this is a propaganda piece to rally people that attack is good?
I doubt it. To be effective as such, one must consider Saddam Hussein to be a reliable source. The people who would be rallied by the propaganda (committed neo-conservatives) have a lower opinion of Saddam than of santorum (I don't mean the former senator). Edited by brorlob

No, explain your logic? I read the article twice but it doesn't seem to give grounds for an attack on Iran...all it does is explain why Saddam bluffed about nuclear weapons. It doesn't say that Iran has nuclear weapons, or that Iran is a threat to us; all it says is that Saddam thought Iran was a threat to Iraq.

No, explain your logic? I read the article twice but it doesn't seem to give grounds for an attack on Iran...all it does is explain why Saddam bluffed about nuclear weapons. It doesn't say that Iran has nuclear weapons, or that Iran is a threat to us; all it says is that Saddam thought Iran was a threat to Iraq.

The reasons Saddam feared Iran all apply equally as well to why we should fear Iran. (If you accept Saddam's reasoning) "Even a strong, totalitarian leader like Saddam feared Iranian hegemony in the ME, and as a major player there now, so to should we." would be the central part of the argument. but like I said, it relies on Saddam's perceptions having credibility. Given he saw Iran as a big enough threat to make claims which led to the downfall of his regime, he has been pretty thoroughly discredited as an expert on threat assessment.

Edited by brorlob

My logic is the fact that 1) we believe that Iran has weapons (pre this article), 2) the article is giving an excuse as to why we invaded Iraq that leads too 2 things: a) that there was a reason but we still caught a bad guy so we need your support in the future and/or B) Iran was a threat then and has only gotten more powerful so we should attack. 3) I agree it does not necc say that we want Iran but it seems as if we are laying the ground work for an immenent attack (see previous ones a la Iraq)...

Or, to put it another way, the first step in propaganda is to convince people of the big lie (Iran is a threat, the domino theory, Jews are evil). Once people believe this to be true, you need tell them no other lies to get them in line for the desired action. This is also why I was alarmed when I saw reports coming in of Al Qaeda leaders relocating to Africa - it was eerily reminiscent of early reports of communist activity in Cambodia and Laos.

The key to propaganda isn't in vocally shouting an ideology or a course of action, but to create the desire in the people to do it for you.

Or, to put it another way, the first step in propaganda is to convince people of the big lie (Iran is a threat, the domino theory, Jews are evil). Once people believe this to be true, you need tell them no other lies to get them in line for the desired action. This is also why I was alarmed when I saw reports coming in of Al Qaeda leaders relocating to Africa - it was eerily reminiscent of early reports of communist activity in Cambodia and Laos.

The key to propaganda isn't in vocally shouting an ideology or a course of action, but to create the desire in the people to do it for you.

ok, you say it better than me ftw.

ok, you say it better than me ftw.

I've been reading Chomsky a lot lately, so the mechanics of propaganda are well on my mind.

I've been reading Chomsky a lot lately, so the mechanics of propaganda are well on my mind.

bahahah fair enough, ive been reading ann coulter b/c one of my friends thinks she is the second coming and I want to be able to use her own work against her which is quite easy for the record but ya chomsky> Coulter any day of teh week

• Upvote 1

bahahah fair enough, ive been reading ann coulter b/c one of my friends thinks she is the second coming and I want to be able to use her own work against her which is quite easy for the record but ya chomsky> Coulter any day of teh week
She is a major nitwit. I don't even think of her as one of the thinkers, but just part of the cheering public who buys the "big lies" of the far right. I'm sure the real thinkers behind the lies (like Wolfowitz, Cheney etc) think she's as much of an idiot as Al Franken does. The fact she's useful is what keeps their contempt from being public.

Coulter is Ayn Rand for people who can't read.

• Upvote 1