JLB

Who will be strong in Georgia policy debate next year?

Every year I wonder, "Who can possibly step up to replace the great teams we had last year in Georgia?"

I'll start - I can't wait to see what Westminster does for an encore, but the young guns have been doing great on the national scene for some time. Smart + coaching = Success.

I predict Woodward will be back in some national final-rounds.

I am not really familiar with who is coming up at Pace, like I was with Jen and Peyton, but seems like they always come up with a strong team.

And the Hooch youngsters who were so good a couple of years ago should be coming into their own. I don't know exactly how many trips they took last year, but their juniors had some major tourney experience.

Then there are some strong . . . I hate to say "new faces" since they are not new to me, but they should start earning a national rep: Alpharetta and Marist certainly come to mind. Fayette has a returning star. Northview keeps getting stronger. And several new schools are entering the field, John's Creek for e.g. Let's see how school budgets play with travel schedules.

Milton has talent back, as does Grady, GACS and Wheeler, but it is hard to win at the top with a young team.

I would think that Warner Robins is ready for some wins this year, but I only know one of their returning students. Likewise, Carrollton. Lincoln, Dunwoody, Trion - not familiar with who they've got coming back.

Didn't mean to leave anyone out - sure I will think of you soon.

Finally, I won't comment on my own teams. We'll see soon enough.

Edited by JLB

I'll probably post later with teams to watch - I did get to see a couple decent rounds at the ENDI tournament featuring some up and coming debaters.

Thanks for the mention JLB - we're excited about this upcoming year. Chattahoochee alum & UGA debater, Mike Lacy has joined the team and will be an assistant coach for the 2009-2010 season. The "returning star" is off at 7 week and from what I hear the practice rounds have gone pretty well.

No matter what, Georgia has some pretty darn good seniors this year & a slew of underclassmen to watch for.

Do we have any results (speakers, placing) for Georgia debaters from the early workshops?

going into rd 6 - I know Christina Bills from Hooch & partner [not sure who it was] was 5-0 at ENDI.

That's all I know.

going into rd 6 - I know Christina Bills from Hooch & partner [not sure who it was] was 5-0 at ENDI.

That's all I know.

Christina Bills from Hooch got top speaker and was 6-0 with Brian (don't know his last name) from Pace at ENDI 2 week.

I have grown a big beard.

I have no idea who will be strong, and I think that would make me a better judge, but I'm sure that I've done my fair share of pissing people off with decisions. Hopefully not more than anyone else.

• Downvote 1

I have no idea who will be strong, and I think that would make me a better judge, but I'm sure that I've done my fair share of pissing people off with decisions. Hopefully not more than anyone else.

LMAO.

LOL. Yes, the best judges always vote for the winner of the round, politics and "rep" be damned. Fortunately, there are enough judges who have no concern about what others think should happen in a given round. Thus, every year there are teams from schools who are not well known, that will actually step up and win.

I wouldn't think that a fair judge would be influenced just by pre-season musings. Hope the original post in this thread reflects that.

Edited by JLB

I don't know if any of the Chamblee kids went to camp. The rumor mill says some of the older debaters may be going to Lakeside HS. Hopefully, I'll be able to judge a tournament or two this year and see what's going on for myself.

~Kathryn

I wouldn't say that. . . Jennifer (the very petite girl from LCHS) is just convinced that you hate her. :) (That doesn't necessarily mean that she thinks that the drops were illegit, BTW.)

As for those who debate primarily in the state of Georgia, Kurtis Anderson/Robert Walker from Warner Robins should be very strong. . . they cleared at CFL Nats and went undefeated at NFL Districts this past March, defeating a team that cleared in Birmingham (Mills/Edwards from Carrollton). (They couldn't go to NFL Nats because Kurtis had a conflict with GHP.) I think that they will be competing a bit on the national circuit as well.

Edited by LCHSdb8coach

the best judges always vote for the winner of the round, politics and "rep" be damned.

QFA

• Downvote 1

I wouldn't say that. . . Jennifer (the very petite girl from LCHS) is just convinced that you hate her. :) (That doesn't necessarily mean that she thinks that the drops were illegit, BTW.)

I don't hate anyone.

I have heard rumors that Hooch team of juniors defeated Westminster juniors in the finals of U Mich tournament - bodes well for those teams in the coming year.

Also good results from Woodward, Fayette and Marist debaters. Anyone have official results of teams and speakers from Georgia?

Congrats - look forward to seeing everybody officially in action in about a month.

I don't hate anyone.

I know this and have tried to convince her. . . she's a bit on the paranoid side sometimes. :)

Shyam Shanker from Wheeler was a part of the team that won the Classic Breakout division at UMich.

Dan Bagwell, Early Alum, won ADI I hear.

Shyam Shanker from Wheeler was a part of the team that won the Classic Breakout division at UMich.

Dan Bagwell, Early Alum, won ADI I hear.

My friend from Pitt was in a lab with Dan, and I'm pretty sure that's true. Also, confirmed that rising-senior Chamblee debater(s) left for Lakeside HS (DeKalb). I wouldn't expect much this year as they are going to need to regroup. Also, hi everyone.

My top 4 varsity all went to different camps this summer:

Michigan 7 Week

KNDI

Cal

ENDI

Do you think it is better for teams to go to the same camp to get experience debating together on the new resolution or to go to different camps to gain different perspectives and expertise?

My opinion is different camps to gain different perspectives...yet keep your debaters in touch with one another and as soon as they all come back hit the ground running.

Just my thoughts...

I would say the usual top teams, but from the past few tournaments, I personally would say Pace and Wheeler. I haven't gone to a full out tournament yet, so I'm waiting.