txdebater11

netbook recommendations

What netbook would you recommend for cx debating purposes?

I've been looking into debating semi/somewhat paperless and I've heard that netbooks are a good choice for storage and retrieval.

advice?

Well, it kinda is up to the person as most netbooks share highly similar specs. Although, I would get one with the typical 160 GB hard drive versus an SSD for debate just because of the higher storage space.

A bunch of new netbooks have just hit market though and you might want to compare them before you buy. Check out http://newegg.com. They usually have the one of the best selections around at some of the lowest prices on the internet.

Anyways, I'm probably gonna buy the ASUS 1008HA in a few weeks.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

What netbook would you recommend for cx debating purposes?

I've been looking into debating semi/somewhat paperless and I've heard that netbooks are a good choice for storage and retrieval.

advice?

And just a suggestion, i dont know how much you've got to spend, but compaq makes a good laptop for $350. I have nothing against netbooks (i used to, but have since changed my opinion), but for reading evidence off i think it might be a little small. As in the screen and how big the words are. But idk thats just a thought.

Don't get an Acer. They're not bad, they're just average, and the keyboard is rather difficult if you have large hands.

Try the new HP mini. I'm getting one, they're pretty good.

a little of both. I'm definitely gonna use it for flowing, but idk about paperless. If we can though, it would be a huge space saver. UIL looks down on the whole "laptop, paperless debate" thing for the most part, so we'll probably just do it in TFA.

If you want to go paperless, and you want a netbook, definitely pay for the biggest hardrive. Or, if that jacks up the cost by a lot, just get an external hard drive. Seagates work well.

a little of both. I'm definitely gonna use it for flowing, but idk about paperless. If we can though, it would be a huge space saver. UIL looks down on the whole "laptop, paperless debate" thing for the most part, so we'll probably just do it in TFA.

If you want to go paperless, and you want a netbook, definitely pay for the biggest hardrive. Or, if that jacks up the cost by a lot, just get an external hard drive. Seagates work well.

I've thought about it but I'm not really sure b/c you're right, people freak out when they just see people flowing on laptops in UIL.

I think I'm going to try to flow by laptop (gonna try to get our school to buy some 120 GB netbooks for us to use) and see how that goes and maybe for some evidence retrieval.

Hope that goes well for you. I flowed on a laptop all year, and they took it okay. Hell, i even flowed on it at State. But when you start using all electronic evidence, some judges get skeptical.

i have a 1000h and i love it.

Happy birthday btw.

Umm. . . I think you don't have to go out of your way to pay for the biggest hard disk. Just make sure it has one. Netbooks will often have an SSD option that's pretty small (8-16 GB) and a normal hard disk option that's ample (120-160 GB). Although it's highly unlikely that you would ever use more than 5-10 GB for debate files, you'll still have other personal stuff, multimedia, and programs. I agree that you probably want a real hard disk instead of a SSD, but you don't have to go out of your way or pay extra for the difference between a 160 GB and a 120 GB hard drive.

Also, don't believe what many people say about netbooks being inoperably slow. If you're buying a new computer now, (I'm just guessing) you probably haven't bought one for five years or so. Something that is probably not well-enough publicized about netbooks is that the standard Intel Atom processor is actually dual-core. If your current computer is a mid-range laptop from 3-5 years ago (~1.8 GHz, single core), then you will probably experience an increase in computing power because you have TWO 1.6-GHz processor cores operating simultaneously (even more noticeable when running multiple processor-intensive processes).

As for an actual recommendation, I use an Acer Aspire One both as my primary computer (with an external monitor at my desk) and an in-round debate file repository, and I would definitely recommend it. However, I don't want to shut down other possibilities and I suggest you read specification comparisons and product reviews (e.g. on Amazon) before making a decision.

Just my $.02 (based on that I follow the computer world pretty closely given it's what I do for a living--at least until I finish a teaching degree so I can coach full time!):

I would recommend that virtually nobody buy a laptop right now unless it's a refurb at a BIG discount. The reasons for this are simple:

1) Windows 7 - A big part of the design of Win 7 is that it's much more light-weight (uses less system resources) than Vista. One major reason they did this is so that 7 can be put on (and run extremely well on) netbooks so that MS no longer has to waste money supporting XP. Presently, however, all netbooks are shipping with XP. XP machines aren't getting the free upgrade to 7 when 7 ships in October. This means that, while you will be able to run 7 on a netbook you buy today, you'll have to pay a couple hundred dollars extra in a few months to do it, or just be running an outdated (and VERY soon, unsupported) OS. (Yes, I know Linux and Hackintosh both run very well on a variety of netbooks. I don't want to hear from the fan boys and girls out there. I'm sharing this info because I work with Windows for a living and because it's what most people use. Also, I'm presently running an RC of 7 on one of my custom gaming rigs and, in my opinion, it is worthy of the high praise it has been generally recieving.)

2) Intel Atom "Pineview" - (I've also heard this called "pinetrail" or "pineville" but "pineview" seems most common.) This is the new Version of the Intel Atom processor (the chip at the heart of almost every decent netbook). This chip is going to be released at some, as yet undisclosed, moment in Q4 of 2009. For those of you who are paying attention, you'll notice that this happens to also be when Win7 is shipping. Pineview is a new architechture which brings the graphics controller on-board the same piece of silicon as the CPU. It's also going to be made with a much more precise manufacturing process. What this means to most people is faster, more reliable processing with substantially better graphics. For the younger crowd, this also means that running games in Netbooks is going to be much more viable. Sure, you're still not going to be able to run Crysis on a netbook, but I'm hearing educated guesses suggesting that bigger missions in WoW are going to now be feasible to do on a netbook at playable framerates (and, by all reliable accounts, they aren't viable on a netbook at present).

3) Touch-Screen - Windows 7 is optimized for touch-screens and utilizes a cool multi-touch system which works a lot like CNN's election coverage screens. True gadget junkies have been ripping netbooks apart (and proudly voiding warranties) to install touchscreens for a while now, and the OEM companies know this. This is why, while there haven't been any specific announcements regarding this yet, I feel that it's extremely likely that it's a matter of months before we see the release of a new Asus Eee 2000 series featuring Win7, the new Pineview processors and touchscreens.

3.5) Mobile Graphics Cards (GPU's) in netbooks - A possible "leak" of ATI's netbook intentions can be found here: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137452/asus-eee-netbook-ati-graphics-rumoured while, in the mean time, Nvidia has made great strides with the ION platform. Once again, these aren't announcements so much as well-educated specualtion, but it seems nearly certain that these things will come to fruition in conjunction with the new processors and Win7 for which they are designed.

4) For those of you thinking of buying a bigger laptop with Vista to take advantage of the free upgrade to 7, I still say "Wait!" Intel has also announced (for release in Q1 2010) the new "Clarksdale" chips which are based on the Nehalem architechture. In non-geek: uber-powerful chips previously enjoyed only by desktop users are coming to mobile computers in January!

Basically, now is a crappy time to be computer shopping. All this stuff is timed to come out at the same time for a reason: it's all going to work together. Further, I know that the manufacturers are filling everyone's inbox with spam that makes it sound like now's the time to buy. This is because they want to get rid of their stock of the older chips and other parts. Also, it helps MS to move copies of Vista so they can improve profits for this fiscal year without damaging their prospects for next year because they still know that many educated users (read: uber-geeks) will wait and, further, the government is going to have to roll out 7 in a hurry. That's a lot of copies that they're virtually gauranteed to sell! I know there's the old joke about how, when you buy a computer, it's outdated by the time you get it home, but that's not true anymore. The big advancements are few and far between. It's just that the big advancements for the near future have now been announced and, for most people, I think they're worth waiting for.

If you *MUST* have something now because you think it will help you at camp or at the beginning of this coming school year until the new stuff comes out (and a laptop might help you, I won't dispute that), I highly reccommend buying something used or refurbished at a deep discount. Even something bottom of the line (especially if you must buy new) is a better bet so you can save your money for the new stuff which, I assure you, is coming all too soon! (Just not soon enough for some of us gadget junkies!)

Hope that helps. If anyone has any specific questions about anything, I'm happy to help. Once again, giving opinions like these is actually part of my day job, but I'm always happy to help the debate community. It's like a happy by-product of having to learn all this crap... :)

By the way, if you're still salivating over netbooks even after you decide to hold-off, google "netbook mods" to find some really fun and innovative ways to void the warranty of your machine once you get it in your hot little hands!

Hate to revive a thread that I'm not sure anyone cares about, but I just need to share my joy because, quite simply, it's on like Donkey Kong:

Asus Eee PC T91 now shipping in US for $499 July 9, 2009 at 1:49 pm

For those too lazy to read the article: The T91 is Asus' new Tablet (touch screen that turns around and lays flat, face up, over the keyboard) Eee PC! Apparently there is also supposed to be a T101 that has a 10.1" screen, but no word on that shipping yet (at least, that I can find). Also, these have great processors (don't be fooled by the seemingly lower clock speeds, these processors are part of the silverthorne line which is more powerful than the Diamondville [Nxxx series] that appears in most netbooks) but I'm still waiting to see them incorporate the Pineview that will come out in a few months...

Also, just as a side note to correct what CausticAutist said earlier, there IS a dual-core atom, but as of yet, it does not appear in any NetBook. So far, it's only in low-cost desktop options. Don't let that get you down on a NetBook's power, though, here's a list of games people have successfully made work on EeePC's: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=5576&p=1

Finally, for those who "need" a NetBook TODAY, there's a pretty fantastic deal on w00t! today: A Refurbished Acer Aspire One D150 (10.1" screen, 1.6Ghz CPU [N270], 1GB RAM, 160 GB HDD) for only $260 which is about $40 less than buying it new somewhere else. Here's the link, but it'll only be available until midnight tonight or until it sells out (that's how w00t! works!): http://www.woot.com/

Also, don't believe what many people say about netbooks being inoperably slow. If you're buying a new computer now, (I'm just guessing) you probably haven't bought one for five years or so. Something that is probably not well-enough publicized about netbooks is that the standard Intel Atom processor is actually dual-core. If your current computer is a mid-range laptop from 3-5 years ago (~1.8 GHz, single core), then you will probably experience an increase in computing power because you have TWO 1.6-GHz processor cores operating simultaneously (even more noticeable when running multiple processor-intensive processes).

This is absolutely wrong, there is only one dual core atom and it's not the "standard" atom found in netbooks. The atoms currently available in netbooks are the Z and N series, both of which are single core. The performance of the single core atom is about half that of a similarly clocked Pentium M.

Without question....Hackintosh (although I can't tell you which Hackintosh to buy or if you go the DYI route how to hack it)

THere are good guides for dell minis!