BHS_debater

Paperless, expandos, hanging folders, or manilla?

I really dont know what is best. I just got a brand new $650 HP laptop so paperless is now an option, but what do you guys think. This is what i was thinking... Get hanging folders and have one for DA answers for example, then have manilla folders inside if the hanging folder for each individual DA. Whats the best?

• Upvote 1

Expandos for big files, manila folders for little ones, paperless for things you don't think you'll ever have to use.

Also there have been a few threads on this if you feel like searching for them.

• Upvote 1

I really dont know what is best. I just got a brand new $650 HP laptop so paperless is now an option, but what do you guys think. This is what i was thinking... Get hanging folders and have one for DA answers for example, then have manilla folders inside if the hanging folder for each individual DA. Whats the best?

It also depends on your computer/screen size. If your computer is slow and often doesn't boot up quick, debating off of it will be a bitch.

Also, don't get a virus on your computer that will slow it down. This may sound intuitive, but I know my junior year partner fucked up his computer to the point that it wasn't useable for debate rounds. It wasn't an issue for us, as we had everything printed, but you should be careful about taking care of your computer.

Alternatively, one or two laptops + printer and one or two expandos of common aff/neg files can work. Not paperless but slightly more convenient - just print out the cards you need during rounds instead of entire files and then recycle the paper after the tournament.

It also depends on your computer/screen size. If your computer is slow and often doesn't boot up quick, debating off of it will be a bitch.

Also, don't get a virus on your computer that will slow it down. This may sound intuitive, but I know my junior year partner fucked up his computer to the point that it wasn't useable for debate rounds. It wasn't an issue for us, as we had everything printed, but you should be careful about taking care of your computer.

Its a 17" screen with 4GB of ram and a 320GB hard drive with an AMD turion x2 64bit dual core processor. Its plenty fast. And i have virus software and i use firefox which is safer so i'm not too worried about viruses.

You need more than one laptop in order to do paperless. 3 to a team is the minimum.

Why do you say that? You can always just get an external hard drive if you need the space.

Alternatively, one or two laptops + printer and one or two expandos of common aff/neg files can work. Not paperless but slightly more convenient - just print out the cards you need during rounds instead of entire files and then recycle the paper after the tournament.

thats sounds like a pretty sweet setup man. I think we might try that.

• Upvote 1

Why do you say that? You can always just get an external hard drive if you need the space.

You and your partner will both need laptops for card-reading and flowing the round. You also need a laptop that you can give to your opponents which has all of the evidence you read in one place/word document.

• Upvote 1

Its not about having enough space. It's more about you needing one, your partner needing one, the opponents needing one to read your ev from, and preferably having a backup in case any of the others crash. You should have enough room on each to hold all ur files.

• Upvote 1

You and your partner will both need laptops for card-reading and flowing the round. You also need a laptop that you can give to your opponents which has all of the evidence you read in one place/word document.

Its not about having enough space. It's more about you needing one, your partner needing one, the opponents needing one to read your ev from, and preferably having a backup in case any of the others crash. You should have enough room on each to hold all ur files.

You both make good points, and thats why i think we are going to do what someone else suggested about having an expando or two with common stuff, then just printing what we read in round since i've got a little printer anyways. But i appreciate everyone's input! You have all helped alot.

You both make good points, and thats why i think we are going to do what someone else suggested about having an expando or two with common stuff, then just printing what we read in round since i've got a little printer anyways. But i appreciate everyone's input! You have all helped alot.

Further input necessary. Is your printer a laser? Inkjet evidence is a bitch, it's slow, doesn't highlight well, and IS SLOW. I can't stress this enough. Even a laser printer takes a few seconds to warm up and actually pump out whatever you're printing. Printing out your 2AC EVERY TIME you give one is going to be a pain.

• Upvote 1

My printer - a cheap HP deskjet model - takes 5 seconds to prepare, then takes 5 seconds per page to print on draft quality (runs almost twice as fast, plus you save ink, try it). It's not bad at all.

Plus, you shouldn't need to print out too much of the 2AC because your 2AC blocks would presumably be something you already have in your expando. You can also use the printer during your opponents speech time or cross-x as long as it isn't too loud; for example, at NFL nationals some team ran a pretty shitty K against us I didn't have a block for, but had a file of answers against it. While they were still giving the 1NC, I was printing out ten pages of evidence and then proceeded to impact turn the shit out of them for five minutes, with T and framework blocks already set to go.

I run through about three-quarters of an ink cartridge per tournament ($15). Compared to printing dozens of files you won't use and paying baggage fees for multiple tubs, this is a bargain.

Further input necessary. Is your printer a laser? Inkjet evidence is a bitch, it's slow, doesn't highlight well, and IS SLOW. I can't stress this enough. Even a laser printer takes a few seconds to warm up and actually pump out whatever you're printing. Printing out your 2AC EVERY TIME you give one is going to be a pain.

i will have all my 2AC already printed and ready to go as well as a copy on my laptop. And i'm not sure what kind it is. Its a cheap HP so i guessing its an inkjet, but i will just try what thehutt suggested.

My printer - a cheap HP deskjet model - takes 5 seconds to prepare, then takes 5 seconds per page to print on draft quality (runs almost twice as fast, plus you save ink, try it). It's not bad at all.

Plus, you shouldn't need to print out too much of the 2AC because your 2AC blocks would presumably be something you already have in your expando. You can also use the printer during your opponents speech time or cross-x as long as it isn't too loud; for example, at NFL nationals some team ran a pretty shitty K against us I didn't have a block for, but had a file of answers against it. While they were still giving the 1NC, I was printing out ten pages of evidence and then proceeded to impact turn the shit out of them for five minutes, with T and framework blocks already set to go.

I run through about three-quarters of an ink cartridge per tournament ($15). Compared to printing dozens of files you won't use and paying baggage fees for multiple tubs, this is a bargain.

thanks for the setting tip. I'll try that. This team at state was printing a bunch of stuff during my partners 1NC and it was distracting as hell cuz the printer was loud. And really? you run through that much ink? Dang. That is alot.

That's sort of exaggerated since, #1 my printer is an HP and therefore gouges me for ink, #2 if I'm neg, I often print 25 page neg files when my opponents disclose, and end up reading only a fraction of those. You can probably get by on 1/2 a cartridge.

sack up and go full paperless. you'd recover the printing/shipping/airline costs in a semester, probably less, if you have to buy the third laptop for viewing (according to the famous whitman guide), and it makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable. The debating experience and the laptop experience both.

plus...why bother printing ev every single round if you can just read it off the computer anyway?

it's the new rage in college - you should give it a shot.

• Upvote 1

sack up and go full paperless. you'd recover the printing/shipping/airline costs in a semester, probably less, if you have to buy the third laptop for viewing (according to the famous whitman guide), and it makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable. The debating experience and the laptop experience both.

plus...why bother printing ev every single round if you can just read it off the computer anyway?

it's the new rage in college - you should give it a shot.

Ya one problem with that...no money. I spent everything i had on this one. and my partner doesnt have one either. We always travel on busses, so thats not a factor. and i print it for our opponents cuz i dont wanna give them my 650 dollar laptop

Food for thought:

20 pages per speech x 2.25 speeches per round (1NR) x aprx 6.5 rounds per tournament x 8 tournaments a year = 2,340 sheets of paper.

Average cost per page (10 cents) x 2,340 sheets = $234 dollars a year.

4 years of hybrid debating (paperless except printing speeches at tournaments) = $936

2 decent laptops ($650 pages) + 1 opponent only laptop ($240) = $1540.

So, assuming (and yes, lots of assumptions here, get over it) you start with no laptops it is $604 dollars more expensive to do true paperless debating than hybrid. However, you and your partner each end up with a laptop. The calculus changes, obviously, if one of you already has a laptop or if you can reduce printing costs by stealing from your school / having the school pay for it.

Now, if you and your partner each have a laptop, you save over $600 by buying a laptop purely for your opponents to see your evidence instead of going paperless except for printing in-round.

Ya one problem with that...no money. I spent everything i had on this one. and my partner doesnt have one either. We always travel on busses, so thats not a factor. and i print it for our opponents cuz i dont wanna give them my 650 dollar laptop

Well if you always travel on busses, tubs shouldn't be a big deal. Of course, if you can get your organization to front the money for the additional laptops, then paperless is a great idea. If not, just stick to a hybrid tub/printing setup.

Food for thought:

20 pages per speech x 2.25 speeches per round (1NR) x aprx 6.5 rounds per tournament x 8 tournaments a year = 2,340 sheets of paper.

Average cost per page (10 cents) x 2,340 sheets = $234 dollars a year.

4 years of hybrid debating (paperless except printing speeches at tournaments) = $936

2 decent laptops ($650 pages) + 1 opponent only laptop ($240) = $1540.

So, assuming (and yes, lots of assumptions here, get over it) you start with no laptops it is $604 dollars more expensive to do true paperless debating than hybrid. However, you and your partner each end up with a laptop. The calculus changes, obviously, if one of you already has a laptop or if you can reduce printing costs by stealing from your school / having the school pay for it.

Now, if you and your partner each have a laptop, you save over $600 by buying a laptop purely for your opponents to see your evidence instead of going paperless except for printing in-round.

You make good points. But a decent ammount of kids around here (most of the legit ones we will need 20+ pages for) have laptops, so i just plan on having an extra USB drive to give to them with my speech on it. And our school doesnt pay for crap haha.

Well if you always travel on busses, tubs shouldn't be a big deal. Of course, if you can get your organization to front the money for the additional laptops, then paperless is a great idea. If not, just stick to a hybrid tub/printing setup.

The only really long trip that is even possible for us this year is if we make it to state cuz state is clear up in the top of idaho (i'm from southeast idaho) but i still hate packing around alot of evidence. I think we will probably have one tub with 3-4 expandos, but i plan on just printing shells to everything to keep in the expandos because you will only ever use a small ammount of the rest of the file, so thats what i'll just print when we need something from it.

I think we will probably have one tub with 3-4 expandos, but i plan on just printing shells to everything to keep in the expandos because you will only ever use a small ammount of the rest of the file, so thats what i'll just print when we need something from it.

Yeah, that's just about what I do. I only print out the shells of arguments (common case neg frontlines, disadvantages, kritiks) and maybe a few key extensions/overviews, so I only carry around one small accordion file (no tub) and a netbook. The two exceptions are my affirmative case and topicality file, which are all paper (although I keep many more topicality and aff case camp-files within easy reach on the netbook).

This solves most of the problems/difficulties associated with showing your opponents your evidence (as the most commonly read evidence is all on paper), and the netbook is small and convenient enough to let your opponents read off of when the speech is over (if/when you read a rarely read piece of evidence that's only on the computer), while keeping costs at a minimum (~$300 for a netbook + $0 for paper/ink because the remaining printing jobs are small enough to be done at public expense via the school library).

Yeah, that's just about what I do. I only print out the shells of arguments (common case neg frontlines, disadvantages, kritiks) and maybe a few key extensions/overviews, so I only carry around one small accordion file (no tub) and a netbook. The two exceptions are my affirmative case and topicality file, which are all paper (although I keep many more topicality and aff case camp-files within easy reach on the netbook).

This solves most of the problems/difficulties associated with showing your opponents your evidence (as the most commonly read evidence is all on paper), and the netbook is small and convenient enough to let your opponents read off of when the speech is over (if/when you read a rarely read piece of evidence that's only on the computer), while keeping costs at a minimum (~$300 for a netbook + $0 for paper/ink because the remaining printing jobs are small enough to be done at public expense via the school library).

Our school charges us like 5 cents a page, so i just go to my parents work and bum copies off them =) but that sounds pretty legit man. my partner doesnt have a laptop but has an old desktop so maybe we will buy a thin monitor and get the whole thing its own tub and just get the monitor out =) haha that would be so ghetto but so badass

Hanging Folders are a waste. NEVER use them. As far as the others, i only use manilas for files i constantly use, like 1NC shells and the 1AC. Otherwise i use expandos, its the best organized and most functional.

Paperless is the very best if you learn how to do it efficiently and quickly but if you don't get a good system down then it can just be a pain and a hassle. Plus if you don't have digital copies of backfiles its really hard to do

Hanging Folders are a waste. NEVER use them. As far as the others, i only use manilas for files i constantly use, like 1NC shells and the 1AC. Otherwise i use expandos, its the best organized and most functional.

Paperless is the very best if you learn how to do it efficiently and quickly but if you don't get a good system down then it can just be a pain and a hassle. Plus if you don't have digital copies of backfiles its really hard to do

We used hanging folders all year man. They arent that bad if you keep them organized. But i would definatly prefer paperless over anythign but thats not very likely, so hybrid it is.

On the topic of paperless, next year, my partner and I are going paperless on 3 macs. Does anyone know how to do all these macros for paperless debating mentioned in Whitman's Manual to Paperless Debating on macs? Because I just can't get it. Also, do you think we'd be able to do paperless debating without macros? Thanks.

On the topic of paperless, next year, my partner and I are going paperless on 3 macs. Does anyone know how to do all these macros for paperless debating mentioned in Whitman's Manual to Paperless Debating on macs? Because I just can't get it. Also, do you think we'd be able to do paperless debating without macros? Thanks.

Yeah, but you need word 03, not 08. From there on out just download the template and it should be all self explanatory Paperless debating without macros sounds hard, but not impossible, if you have to have 08.