Sign in to follow this  
sethshep

Hey SW

get qualified as soon as you can then go into champs, it will be much better for you in the long run to compete against the 6a schools. By that same philosophy, don't go into novice at your first tournament. Just go straight into qualifying.

• Upvote 1

You should probably talk to your brother and get a feel for the area. He will probably have some good advise as far as judging/competition in the area. You should also just talk to the kids on your squad.

New here. I'm Seth Shepard, Josh Shepard's little brother. Novice this year.

Tips?

View debate as a four year process. There's no such thing as a good novice, so your goal should be to learn as much as you can from better debaters. You may end up becoming the best novice debater, but you need to set yourself up to do damage as a SOPHOMORE and later. This is, in my opinion, paramount to your future development as a debater. Several reasons -

1. The most annoying thing about novices is that they try to talk fast because it's the cool thing to do. But in trying to talk fast, they just stumble all the time and in reality speak less efficiently than if they were to talk normal speed. Your speed will build with time, but don't force it.

For example, I'm training for my first marathon, but my only goal is to finish. I don't care what my time is. I'll focus on my timing on my second marathon if I so decide. Same thing applies to beginning debaters. Your goal should first and foremost be to make an argument. When you can do that, focus on making many arguments.

2. Focus on debating a variety of arguments. It's very tempting to get good at one argument and win every novice tournament. But novice year is not the year to specialize. Pete Sampras specialized as a serve and volley tennis player, but he first learned how to play every other shot. You're not Pistol Pete just yet.

3. Learn everything about your arguments and the topic. Your older debaters will probably give you scripted speeches and arguments to make, and you will be tempted to spout them out because then you won't sound stupid to the judges. But this prevents your own thinking and development. Judges already think novices are stupid, so might as well learn while you're being stupid. My novice year, the debate topic was over United Nations peacekeeping operations. I can't tell you much about the UN other than I think it's based in Texas, right? Don't make my mistake.

4. Constantly ask questions. Be a pest. Pester your judges the most, they will give you best feedback. There is no such thing as an "objective" win in debate. There is only a perceived win by the judge. So figure out why they think what they think and learn from it.

5. Read The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin and Mastery by George Leonard.

Good luck and have fun. Wooo!!

• Upvote 2

get qualified as soon as you can then go into champs, it will be much better for you in the long run to compete against the 6a schools. By that same philosophy, don't go into novice at your first tournament. Just go straight into qualifying.

You should probably talk to your brother and get a feel for the area. He will probably have some good advise as far as judging/competition in the area. You should also just talk to the kids on your squad

View debate as a four year process. There's no such thing as a good novice, so your goal should be to learn as much as you can from better debaters. You may end up becoming the best novice debater, but you need to set yourself up to do damage as a SOPHOMORE and later. This is, in my opinion, paramount to your future development as a debater. Several reasons -

All good advice, especially from Sharma. Just go into everything ready to learn and without trying to build conceptions of how debate goes or what debate is just from your first few rounds. And learn to work with your partner. Try not to take too much control of the round and tool him or her out and likewise don't let your partner/coach(es) make your speeches for you.

• Upvote 2

1. The most annoying thing about novices is that they try to talk fast because it's the cool thing to do. But in trying to talk fast, they just stumble all the time and in reality speak less efficiently than if they were to talk normal speed. Your speed will build with time, but don't force it.

For example, I'm training for my first marathon, but my only goal is to finish. I don't care what my time is. I'll focus on my timing on my second marathon if I so decide. Same thing applies to beginning debaters. Your goal should first and foremost be to make an argument. When you can do that, focus on making many arguments.

2. Focus on debating a variety of arguments. It's very tempting to get good at one argument and win every novice tournament. But novice year is not the year to specialize. Pete Sampras specialized as a serve and volley tennis player, but he first learned how to play every other shot. You're not Pistol Pete just yet.

3. Learn everything about your arguments and the topic. Your older debaters will probably give you scripted speeches and arguments to make, and you will be tempted to spout them out because then you won't sound stupid to the judges. But this prevents your own thinking and development. Judges already think novices are stupid, so might as well learn while you're being stupid. My novice year, the debate topic was over United Nations peacekeeping operations. I can't tell you much about the UN other than I think it's based in Texas, right? Don't make my mistake.

4. Constantly ask questions. Be a pest. Pester your judges the most, they will give you best feedback. There is no such thing as an "objective" win in debate. There is only a perceived win by the judge. So figure out why they think what they think and learn from it.

5. Read The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin and Mastery by George Leonard.

Good luck and have fun. Wooo!!

When did Neal get so smart?

• Upvote 1

When did Hartney start posting at 3:00 AM?

Seth - you've got a jumpstart already it seems. Besides from the debate side of your development, you could always try to be the first novice to ever learn the basics of political theory/philosophical thought. That would be choice.

Edited by Dave

When did Neal get so smart?

I think it's that college stuff.....

When did Hartney start posting at 3:00 AM?

Old age often leads to unorthodox sleep patterns

stop having slightly more posts than me, shae.

No.

Congrats on 1K!

EDIT: "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Dave."

as long as you are looking to pass it around... :)

I only give reputation where it's due.....OH SNAP!!!:rolleyes:

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Shae."

It was more neg rep though.

The computer told me the same thing about you, except I can't remember the last time I repped you either way.

Way to ruin my joke. I guess to be fair it has to be funny to qualify as a joke though...

I think you repped me when i called you evans double 1s positive in the ndt thread though. Whats going on in Norman?

Rep side comment: I got a warning for cursing at people and signing the rep as Tshuman a few times.

You would sign as Tshuman....

Not a whole lot going on in norman. Work, eat, sleep, other things. Pretty much the usual except no class. How's Missouri (I assume your in Missouri)?

I think Coffman (santa fe coach) and I are going to have an angel tournament: where two novice debaters are paired up with an experienced debater on their team. The advanced debater can pull evd. and help them flow, but can't make arguments or prompt them in round. This will be held on just one saturday and will hopefully give every team 4 rounds before their first tournament. Hopefully all of you can get your coaches and partners to attend.

I will have more info on this as the tournament gets nearer.

• Upvote 1

I think Coffman (santa fe coach) and I are going to have an angel tournament: where two novice debaters are paired up with an experienced debater on their team. The advanced debater can pull evd. and help them flow, but can't make arguments or prompt them in round. This will be held on just one saturday and will hopefully give every team 4 rounds before their first tournament. Hopefully all of you can get your coaches and partners to attend.

I will have more info on this as the tournament gets nearer.

Angel tournaments are the best way to get novices going in a hurry. We've been doing them over here for about 12 years. It helps novices deal with the 2 things that stump them most at first: how to flow and what to talk about in their speech. The judge has to keep it from degenerating into a "my angel can beat up your angel" thing, but we also insist that no judge ever tells any novice more than three things they did wrong in their speech, and they have to make at least one positive comment to each debater.

We start Round 1 at 9, then break for lunch after Round 2. We bring in pizza for everyone so we're not held up by a squad who takes too long at lunch, then do 2 more rounds after lunch. By the end, everyone has had 4 practice rounds, they all know how to read a pairings sheet and how to set up for a round, and we're still done by 4 PM so I can still go out to dinner with my wife (a rarity for Saturdays during the school year).

One thing we ASK the angels to do is to "fade the prompts"...help the debaters a little less each round so that by the end they are more or less doing it on their own. I lose money on it each year, but that's OK because a lot of the debaters are mine anyway. Even after I pay for the pizza and cover the cost of a custodian, its still well worth the money.

Edited by DeCoach
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Coach,

Everything you have just posted has already helped me immensely. I am sure I will have a million more questions before we get this thing off the ground.

~ish