Cryst'all

Will Malthus and Hollow Hope DA fit into the poverty topic this year?

Don't these disads link to like every topic?

I'm not sure. I was only hit with malthus once against this team and they really sucked. I didn't understand it at all, and plus they brought it up in the block. I said it was a batch move and kinda dropped it. lol.

They ended up winning the tournament... :(

and we were the only people they lost to. hahahaa

But anyways, what exactly are the DA's actually saying?

• Downvote 1

Guest chuck97
Don't these disads link to like every topic?

uhhh... i'm guessing you have little clue as to what these disads are.

hollow hope disad links to plans and counterplants that use the supreme court.

malthus links to affs that save a lot of lives. the link depends on the plan and its advantages, not on the resolution.

I'm not sure. I was only hit with malthus once against this team and they really sucked. I didn't understand it at all, and plus they brought it up in the block. I said it was a batch move and kinda dropped it. lol.

They ended up winning the tournament... :(

and we were the only people they lost to. hahahaa

But anyways, what exactly are the DA's actually saying?

Malthus basically says (at least in the way debaters run it) that the world becoming overpopulated leads to extinction, so we should let the 1AC impacts happen so that enough people will be killed that the world won't be overpopulated anymore. It's a horrendously non-unique disad.

And I've never seen Hollow Hope run, but my understanding of it is that if an actor, generally the court, does the plan then activists will assume they've won and stop being active. The impact is that social movements are good for X reason.

They do?

Malthus links to any aff that claims to solve an impact so yes, anything.

Guest chuck97

And I've never seen Hollow Hope run, but my understanding of it is that if an actor, generally the court, does the plan then activists will assume they've won and stop being active. The impact is that social movements are good for X reason.

Hollow hope says that if the courts are given a huge win (through the plan/ cp), then social movement activists will pursue their goals through the courts rather than through congress.

Malthus links to any aff that claims to solve an impact so yes, anything.

Not necessarily. It only links to plans that prevent a huge population from dieing, that doesn't lead to extinction.

uhhh... i'm guessing you have little clue as to what these disads are.

hollow hope disad links to plans and counterplants that use the supreme court.

malthus links to affs that save a lot of lives. the link depends on the plan and its advantages, not on the resolution.

Sorry, I misspoke. My point was that these disads are generic to the point where the actual topic doesn't really matter.

Disagree on Malthus. It has a particularly good link to social services for the poor. The argument is about why we need natural death checks and we shouldn't try to keep everyone alive past carrying capacity. Malthus makes a lot more sense on Poverty and on the SSA topic than it did this past year on Energy when it was rarely read.

Also, because the SCOTUS is a legitimate actor on this resolution, and there are potential judicial remedies for persons in poverty that may qualify as social services, Hollow Hope can apply

Disagree on Malthus. It has a particularly good link to social services for the poor. The argument is about why we need natural death checks and we shouldn't try to keep everyone alive past carrying capacity. Malthus makes a lot more sense on Poverty and on the SSA topic than it did this past year on Energy when it was rarely read.

Also, because the SCOTUS is a legitimate actor on this resolution, and there are potential judicial remedies for persons in poverty that may qualify as social services, Hollow Hope can apply

this makes me think of links to health care and senior citizen stuff.

Running Malthus to say "poverty good" will make you look like a fascist, just so you know. Everyone will think, "oh, there are the fascists, that's who we're debating today, the fascists." Aside from that it will be turned easily. The argument is that population growth is bad, how you're interpreting it is essentially social Darwinism. Poverty grows populations. The lower-class has more unintended pregnancies than either of its counterparts.

Edited by Danny Tanner

I've never seen a high school team run Malthus in a way that makes sense. The idea is not to let people die, but to avoid social structures which encourage overpopulation. If the affirmative is creating a social sanction which favors larger families at younger ages, malthus is very tightly linked (and not generic). "Saving lives bad" does not a malthusian position make.

not really... i got hit with space col and human extinction in 75% of my rounds for energy

Comparing the link between health programs in an area where population growth is incredibly high (Africa) to social services in an area where population growth is miniscule and mostly a result of immigration(the US) is not similar in any kind of Malthusian model.

Malthus (correctly): Population growth bad

Malthus (as debaters use it): Population bad

Like I said before though: it is possible that an aff case might generate a social factor in favor of population growth linking them to Malthus. It won't be anywhere as obvious a link as it was on SSA, and will have to be well understood to sound like anything but "Let them eat cake."