highlandmike

disc golf.

bump. really, just one other person on all of cross-x?

I kinda wish I did but uf is where it's at.

I like ultimate frisbee as well, but its not like the two are mutually exclusive. You almost can't even compare them, as the only thing they have is common is that a disc is involved.

I disc golf and have been for years. Still not very good at it though. My drive has reached some unexpected improvement this summer after almost a year layoff (no disc golf in the Spring this year). I really want to expand my putting range.

Always wanted to play but never got a chance. I'm an almost daily ultimate frisbee player, though.

Nope. I've thought about it, though. Truth is, I don't want to buy hiking boots so I can play a disc golf course. Especially one that will give me allergies and infest my shoes with goat heads.

bump

its spring break for me, and despite the shitty weather I've gotten in some disc golf time. played 66 holes on Wednesday, shit was awesome. Last summer, played 101 holes in one day.

In my bag right now (although I hope to expand my disc selection as the summer progresses) :

- Warlock putter (my only gateway disc, everything else is innova)

- DX Aviar P&A

- star plastic T-Rex

- champion plastic Valkyrie

- star FL

- DX Roc

- DX Classic Roc

- star Spider

- star Max

- glow in the dark Sidewinder (worst investment of my life)

first discs on my list are a champion Firebird and some sort of 9 speed star driver - or maybe a champion 10 speed.

also, myself and a few friends of mine have started to custom die our own discs - fucking hard to do neatly, but we've pulled off some sick patterns - my friend put a triforce on his champion orc.

i suck at this, thus i do not consider it a sport

other things that aren't a sport: baseball, track and/or field, soccer, and hockey

this post is 50% sarcasm, 50% regret, and 50% lies

I've played for a few years now. I haven't played in a while because it's either been too cold or too windy. It's actually getting nicer now, I just have to wait for the wind to stop blowing at mach 3 because I don't want my discs to come back and hit me in the face.

I have quite a few discs as well, and my collection is always growing because it seems like people in Oklahoma can't be bothered to go retrieve their discs if the go into less than favorable places (heavily wooded areas, fields of waist deep grass, etc.). Here's my collection so far:

• Aerobie Epic- it's a driver, it's cut off center, so you have to throw it tomahawk-style pretty high and it flips over and kinda floats for a long ways. It's fantastic for if there is like a river right where your normal drive would land

• Discraft nuke- super long range driver. I found it somewhere. The lip is thicker than most drivers so I haven't really found a grip that doesn't make it epic fail when I throw it.
  • Sirius Orion LS- My favorite driver to throw underhanded
  • Innova Star Wraith- found this one somewhere too, it was a hell of a find because it is a hell of a disc
  • Discraft Buzzz
  • Discraft EliteZ Buzzz- some kind person from the Arizona Disc Golf Club was playing one of the courses at the Tulsa Zoo and decided he wasn't going to crawl into the viney-foresty mess to retrieve it. Fortunately for me, it was winter and most of the stuff was dead.
  • Aerobie SharpShooter putter- found it somewhere. I wish I didn't, it's terrible. It throws fine but it gets knocked up really easily
  • Innova Aviar- If you are ever in academy and you see this disc and you think "oh, it's only $6.99, I should get it," don't. It doesn't fly for shit.
  • 2x Millennium Omega supersoft putter- eh, they are decent.

I still haven't found a putter that I really like. How do you like the Warlock?

I have played, but do not do so on a regular basis. Ultimate is much more fun for me.

this

Aerobie

• Innova Aviar- If you are ever in academy and you see this disc and you think "oh, it's only $6.99, I should get it," don't. It doesn't fly for shit.

I still haven't found a putter that I really like. How do you like the Warlock?

aerobie discs seem kind of weird from what google showed me. in your opinion, how do you think they compare to innova and discraft stuff? these are the only discs I've ever really played to make comparisons to.

I like the warlock alright, but the one I have is just so damn light! it can't barely even be 145 grams. I'm just borrowing it from a friend until I can buy a new Aviar P&A - after two years of use mine is ready for retirement.

sarcasm, regret, and lies aside - dude, I'm not that good either. but you don't have to play at a professional level to enjoy an activity. and although by some definitions, disc golf might not qualify as a "sport", I think any activity with professional players deserves some recognition. Disc golf pro's compete as invitationals for prize money, get sponsored, and do many other things in common with their professional golf playing counterparts.

Edited by highlandmike

aerobie discs seem kind of weird from what google showed me. in your opinion, how do you think they compare to innova and discraft stuff? these are the only discs I've ever really played to make comparisons to.

I haven't played with very many, but the only one that I've found that I would actually use sometimes is the Epic, but it is a pretty special use driver that doesn't get used very often. Otherwise, they kinda suck. The plastic is cheap and doesn't last very long.

I like the warlock alright, but the one I have is just so damn light! it can't barely even be 145 grams. I'm just borrowing it from a friend until I can buy a new Aviar P&A - after two years of use mine is ready for retirement.

Interesting. I'll have to check them out (or hope I come across one in a forest somewhere...)

other things that aren't a sport: baseball.

this post is 50% sarcasm, 50% regret, and 50% lies

fix'd. But this. Can barely stand watching it on TV (though going to games is fun... even if its the minor league Nashville Sounds)

One of the largest fights I have ever witnessed was started involving disc golf.

My friends decided it was a good idea to take a shot for every stroke you were over par. The waged prize was a pack of cigs. Long story short, no instant prize = RAMPAGE. I got a call from my friend that was like "dude, I barricaded myself in my room and all of my roommates are trying to kill me for a pack of cigs SAVE ME!"