iceicebaby

Debate and Health?

I'm just saying some people like to be fat, what's the problem with decadence anyways? I really hate that obesity is seen as sometype of negative thing, I don't understand why.

I mean, sure it's real easy to agree that being fat is bad for you, but the studies on the issue are flimsy at best. The correlation between obesity and health problems are shoddily linked and take very few factors into account other than BMI and/or total body weight. Some US funded studies included overweight indiviudals (those with a BMI of 25-30) who died in car accidents in their reports; the margin of error is absolutely huge.

Not to mention, extra body fat is actually protective for the elderly.

And, exercise alone cannot solve obesity - it's empircally proven.

There are functional arguments, and sure their are weight-related illness issues that can't be denied, but the mortality rate is an over-inflated myth. Illness can set it on just about anyone, because their is a correlation between obesity and illness doesn't necessitate obesity as a bad thing. Driving Cars, Owning Guns, and a myriad of other things increase the chance of illness and death - In terms of the body it all boils down to aesthetics.

As a person who has lived both sides of the coin (304 pounds at age 12... got down to under 194 by 15), I can honestly say that the quality of life is negliable - especially at this young of an age. I've done the intense work-out regimes and i've quit them, I could pull it up to prove my point, but it was a basic 5x5 squat intensive workout regime. Didn't work for me in the long term, but the gym is a still a great place to workout stress.

My perception, which feel free to say is flawed, is that Americans are highly susceptible to developing pre-conceived notions of beauty and functionality, the implications of which are any slew you can pick out of your impact file...

It's just a pseudo-patriarchal, masochistic developmental hitch in the progress of society spurred on by the uber-functionality of a capitalist market system dictating a non-stop stream of 'acceptability' straight in through your occular-bulbs.

Not to spoil the discussion with debate arguments, but in terms of "regulating docile bodies" the smear campaign set out upon by the US government to condemn obesity ranks pretty high. It's fairly analagous with the panopticon in all honesty. The government defines something as bad, and we all set out to regulate ourselves - if we 'fail to regulate ourselves' we're regulated by every other person. The judgemental stares, the concerned sit downs, the weightloss advertisements EVERYWHERE. Hell, I don't need to begin with the out-right insults and prejudice; the loss of job oppurtunities over equally qualified thin people... its ridiculous

This is doubly opressive for women, simply because it's generally still acceptable for a guy to be overweight or obese. He's just got a 'beer belly' or he's a 'fat cat'. Women naturally accumulate more body fat than men, and its against the rules for any woman to go over size 6 or 8, ridiculously arbitrary standards of aesthetics. Not to mention the majority of those weightloss ads are directed at women... it's a self-perpetuating cycle of insanity.

Oh, and if anyone needs the citations for all these claims, i'd be more than happy to produce them... I just think it's amazing that people will condemn something without knowing why they do. It's all related to fear of inadequacy. I respect the Hulk in so many ways - he's got the right attitude; do what makes you happy... but it's ridiculous to think that being fat = not being happy.

i didn't say decadence or Obesity was always bad. Look @ Eskimos.

• Upvote 1

LOL. I definitely want to see these so called citations. I want proof of the following:

1) Correlation between obesity and health problems is shoddy

2) Body fat is protective for elderly

3) Exercise cant solve obesity

4) Mortality rate for obese is not higher than not obese

Edited by sooth-sayer

This is plain and simple pretty incorrect. hahahah. i dont care how many pretty green boxes you have.

Umm, how can Ankur be incorrect without making any claims? The part you quoted had him simply asking for more information and asserting his opinion that people who can't fit in one airplane seat should pay for the extra space they consume.

Umm, how can Ankur be incorrect without making any claims? The part you quoted had him simply asking for more information and asserting his opinion that people who can't fit in one airplane seat should pay for the extra space they consume.

His opinion is wrong IMO, because people who are obese are hurt people. Overeating is a coping mechanism that is intutily not healthy. This does not meen there bad people, just hurt people (like all of us to some degree). The "Ethical" response to obesity isnt to affirm "Abjection" (to Abject fat people (The Obese body as Abject Object)). The "Ethical" response is to be uncomfortable on a plane sitting nect to a larger person. To be ok that there hurt. Not to "judge", but to help.

His opinion is wrong IMO, because people who are obese are hurt people. Overeating is a coping mechanism that is intutily not healthy. This does not meen there bad people, just hurt people (like all of us to some degree). The "Ethical" response to obesity isnt to affirm "Abjection" (to Abject fat people (The Obese body as Abject Object)). The "Ethical" response is to be uncomfortable on a plane sitting nect to a larger person. To be ok that there hurt. Not to "judge", but to help.

Brian, that doesn't make sense. You can't say "don't judge" and then immediately follow that with 'you should help them' because in order to make the claim "they need help" you must have deemed that there is something wrong. The contention is that nothing is wrong, therefore either A) You judge it to be wrong and proceed on a few courses of action (helping, mocking, not giving a shit) or B) you don't judge. Impossible to help something that's not a problem.

Also, considering Big Sham made a BUNCH of claims and said "I'll provide evidence if asked" and all Ankur did was tell Sam to provide the evidence, like Sam said he would, you are in no position to call Ankur out.

Also: Did you really tripple post twice?!

well, searles, if you start now, that means you only have 60 more posts to say anything resembling an argument.