iceicebaby

Debate and Health?

Maybe it is just my observations, but it seems to me that many debaters do not lead healthy life styles. Many debaters seem to be on the heavy side. Again, this could just be my perspective, but does anyone else notice this as well?

If it is a growing problem as i think it may be within the debate community i believe the debate community should start some sort of fitness program, or a Cross-x thing where people encourage others to stay in shape...maybe we could do one of those programs like, 5 months 500 pounds or something, where people in the deabte community, or maybe only cross-x for a certain period of time track their weight loss..

In fact i think Ill start it in another thread: http://www.cross-x.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1729135#post1729135

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hey umm, a fellow fatass speaking here. I weighed 200 pounds in 7th grade, and I know that everyone considered large will be offended if you ask them about their lifestyle. (It sucks, right?)

They have to lose it for themselves, because they don't like the way they are and they want to do something about it. Alot of people are comfortable being overweight, and that's fine, as long as they are aware of serious health risks later on in life.

I lost a TON of weight because I liked a guy. Alot. Haha. And it was enough motivation to keep me going. He didn't ask me to lose any weight, I just did it myself. Soon after, my Mother and Sister joined as well.

I'm still working out and sweating like a pig everyday, but not even for the guy. For health. I can help with anything about nutrition or working out if they like. Just be very suttle about it...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was just wondering if anyone else notices thsi problem within the debate community...is it just me who notices quite a big number of rather large debaters?

If anyone has some serious fitness questions I'd be glad to answer them. (from diet to exercise physiology etc.)

I'm currently studying for my personal training certification through the National Council on Strength and Fitness.

• Upvote 1

I was just wondering if anyone else notices thsi problem within the debate community...is it just me who notices quite a big number of rather large debaters?

I don't think this is unique to debate.

Government and private sector health experts now estimate that 65 percent of America’s adults are overweight and 31 percent of adults are obese and at risk for chronic diseases such as diabetes and hypertension.Source.

I heavily doubt that significantly more than 65% of the debate community is overweight. In fact, I would be skeptical of a claim that 50% of the debate community is overweight.

EDIT: I also heavily doubt that you know enough of the entire "debate community" to get an accurate and diverse sample size to make such a sweeping generalization as 'I think the debate community is unhealthy and fat'. It is possible that your local debate community has over 65% overweight rates and you have noticed a stunning trend of unhealthiness.. but then again probably not.

Certainly, being obese/overweight is unhealthy and should be appropriately curtailed. But isolating it to the debate community (specifically only the contingent that reads cross-x) or claiming that the activity of debating exacerbates such without any research other than your (most likely limited - not an insult, I doubt anyone here can make such a claim) scope seems pointless at best...

Edited by kevinwy
  • Downvote 1

To be honest I've noticed it myself, I think a lot has to do with the tournaments, you don't exactly get a lot of excersise when you go to debate tournaments almost every week(carrying tubs don't count), and a lot of people end up spending Sunday finishing schoolwork or doing non-physical activities. Most torunaments don't exactly sell healthly food either.

Point being, most debaters take tons of preap/AP classes and don't have time to excersise on a daily basis.

It's possible to maintain a healthy lifestyle and weight without significant time spent on exercise if you eat right (fruits and veggies, yogurt, water... seriously good stuff, and lay off of junk food/pop/etc) and take the exercise you can get (e.g. take a slightly longer route to work/school and jog it, lift/curl weights while you're reading cx.com, play sports). Exercise helps, but other things help too.

None of the debaters on my team are even close to being overweight. I can't even think of any debaters on our entire local circuit who are overweight.

It's definitely true that debate trades off with exercise, though. Before this year I used to play anywhere from one to three club level sports a year, but I didn't have time to do any this year because I attended 3-4 times as many debate tournaments and would have missed almost half the games. I've fallen so far out of shape that I can't even run much more than a mile or two without getting exhausted.

My weight is still pretty healthy (6'0", 150 lbs). I would credit it mostly to diet, not necessarily "eating healthy" but minimizing consumption of fried and fast food, plus I don't drink soda at all. I can often go more than a month without eating fast food, and when I do stop at Burger King, it's because - drumroll - we're at a debate tournament.

That's not fat. That's just the nerd building up.

It defines character. Don't retreat from it - embrace it.

• Downvote 1

well i don't like it that people talk for the whole "debate community" maybe in certain areas there might be alot of overweight debaters but not in the regions i've been too. In chicago less then maybe 20% of the debate "community" is overweight from the local and regional circuits.

i happen to be one of the "overweight" part of the community. i'm 6'2 and 265lbs but then again i'm an all-city D-linemen xD

there are SOOOO many factors that contribute to weigth that it's impossibile to pinpoint 1 or a main factor.

there are SOOOO many factors that contribute to weigth that it's impossibile to pinpoint 1 or a main factor.

Actually, no. Lack of diet and exercise are probably the biggest contributing factors to weigh gain. I don't exactly see the US booming with muscle builders and people with medical conditions that make weight gain happen. Sorry man - we're a nation of lazy eataholics.

Actually, no. Lack of diet and exercise are probably the biggest contributing factors to weigh gain. I don't exactly see the US booming with muscle builders and people with medical conditions that make weight gain happen. Sorry man - we're a nation of lazy eataholics.

right but you can't say debaters have horrible health patterns..... it's up to the individual, not the activity.

That's not fat. That's just the nerd building up.

It defines character. Don't retreat from it - embrace it.

pretty much this. if you think debaters are fat, that's because debaters are nerds, and nerds are generally pretty unhealthy

FACT

• Downvote 1

right but you can't say debaters have horrible health patterns..... it's up to the individual, not the activity.

No duh health problems occur at the individual level, but your observation ignores the social context in which health patterns can develop. If being a fatty fat was just an individual choice, you wouldn't see so much of it in any particular activity - therefore, there is a social influence.

It's very easy to get conditioned to eat fast food and drink soda if you're traveling every other weekend and eat that while traveling because it's the most convenient. That conditioning can spill over to your health choices even when you're not involved in that activity.

You can't say all debaters are unhealthy. You can say the current nature of debate makes unhealthiness, especially poor eating habits, more likely, however.

To be honest I've noticed it myself, I think a lot has to do with the tournaments, you don't exactly get a lot of excersise when you go to debate tournaments almost every week(carrying tubs don't count), and a lot of people end up spending Sunday finishing schoolwork or doing non-physical activities. Most torunaments don't exactly sell healthly food either.

Point being, most debaters take tons of preap/AP classes and don't have time to excersise on a daily basis.

Alot of debators in my area are skinny, but most are average. We have one overweight dude on my team...heh heh. lol.

And we have one black girl.

So she calls him at 2am friday night of a tournament at the hotel, and this is what it was like:

BC- black chick

SRD: some random dude

SRD: Ugh, hello?

BC: HEY FATASS!

SRD: Hello *insert her name here

BC: Watcha doin FATASS?

SRD: Sleepin...........

BC: Oh that's cool, FATASS. I was sleepin too.

SRD....merghhh

BC: So whatcha wearin, FATASS?

SRD: Somebody took my pajamas, so just my boxers....

BC: YOU FATASS! YOU COULDN'T EVEN FIND PAJAMAS TO FIT YOUR FAT BODY? ARGH! YOU'RE SUCH A FATASS! I CAN'T EVEN MAKE FUN OF YOU ANYMORE CAUSE YOU'RE SO GROSS! FATASS!

SRD: *smiles as he hangs up and laughs *

(He likes to be called fat, and honestly, he's not really THAT fat) lol

Yeah, that's us. Louisiana.

• Downvote 2

i think the main contributing factor from the debate lifestyle is the time commitment.

We're always sitting in front of our laptops working on stuff, which eats up much of our spare time that could be used for exercising. And perhaps this is just the culture on my team, but we would usually cut gym class to work on debate.

This isn't to say that debaters have to be overweight however, because we still have control over our diets. Most of us do tend to eat poorly at tournaments (my tourney diet is usually ramen and skittles), but while at home and school a healthier diet is available.

Alot of debators in my area are skinny, but most are average. We have one overweight dude on my team...heh heh. lol.

And we have one black girl.

So she calls him at 2am friday night of a tournament at the hotel, and this is what it was like:

BC- black chick

SRD: some random dude

SRD: Ugh, hello?

BC: HEY FATASS!

SRD: Hello *insert her name here

BC: Watcha doin FATASS?

SRD: Sleepin...........

BC: Oh that's cool, FATASS. I was sleepin too.

SRD....merghhh

BC: So whatcha wearin, FATASS?

SRD: Somebody took my pajamas, so just my boxers....

BC: YOU FATASS! YOU COULDN'T EVEN FIND PAJAMAS TO FIT YOUR FAT BODY? ARGH! YOU'RE SUCH A FATASS! I CAN'T EVEN MAKE FUN OF YOU ANYMORE CAUSE YOU'RE SO GROSS! FATASS!

SRD: *smiles as he hangs up and laughs *

(He likes to be called fat, and honestly, he's not really THAT fat) lol

Yeah, that's us. Louisiana.

Racist.

People aren't that overweight around where I debate. However some times debaters do live unhealthy lifestyles. They often get little sleep, stress a lot, and eat fatty foods like pizza (especially at tournaments).

Racist.

No, not really. She likes to be called black. In fact, if she's mad, all you have to say is "hey, your butt is HUGE" she'll go "OMG!!! THANK YOU!!!"

you guys totally aren't making allowances for those of us who WANT to be fat... I mean... way to be intolerent of my rolls, BRO.

In response to a pm and other questions that will come from this thread, I figure I'll steer some people in the right directions based upon their goals.

---------

First is the routine for people looking to lose weight. Unlike most personal trainers I have a very different take on training for losing weight other than the archaic "go run for an hour". I think many people get caught up in the "oh great, more running" and they don't really push themselves.

This is essentially a cross-training routine designed so that the person can adjust it to their personal fitness level to push themselves. One of my friend's that used this lost over 25 lbs in two months.

All exercises are performed near failure. Do not consistently train to failure, it is detrimental to your central nervous system.

The exercises are arranged in a pyramid fashion, designed to pre-fatigue a smaller muscle group before targeting a large one. Simply put this makes specific muscle groups have to work harder due to the fatigue others have.

Exercises are performed with no rest between sets, but there is rest between muscle group transitions.

(Given I do not know your fitness level.... if you feel lightheaded, gasping for breath, PLEASE take rest between sets, but as you progress in the routine, try and take less rest.)

Descriptions of exercises can be found here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

Do this two-three times a week, always with at least a days rest in between.

------------

A)

Dumbell Lunges x 16 reps (8 steps a leg)

Squat x 10 reps

calve raises x 20

(rest three minutes)

B)

overhead press x 8

front dumbell raises x 8

pushups x failure

C)

chinups x failure

barbell curls x 12

weighted crunches x failure

10 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training. This is basically cycling running hard, with running slow.

Start out at a light jog for 1 minute, then for the next 30 seconds, turn up the pace to 3/4ths a sprint. Slow it back down for another minute, let your heart rate catch up and repeat.

-----------------

Now for your testosterone raging bulls, this section for you is about gettin big.

There's two routines here, one is for the beginning weight lifter. Its focus is on compound exercises. A compound exercise is one that involves multiple muscle groups. These have been proven to stimulate the greatest amount of hypertrophy compared to any other exercises.

The second one is for the intermediate lifters. Its got a bit more volume to it, and more isolation exercises.

Beginning:

Day one: Push

Bench Press 5 sets x 5 reps

Military Press 3 sets x 8 reps

dumbell tricep extensions 3 sets x 10 reps

Pushups - 2 sets x failure

Day Two: Pull

Deadlifts 4x5

Dumbell Rows 4 sets x 8 reps

chinups x failure (3 sets)

Day Three: Legs

Squats- 3 sets x 12 reps

Lying leg curls 3 sets x 10 reps

Lunges 2 sets x 16 reps (8 steps a leg)

Calve raises 3 sets x 12 reps

--------------------

Monday: chest

Bench press 4x8

Incline Bench press 3x10

Decline 3x12

Dumbbell Flys 3x12

Tuesday: back, biceps

Dead lift 5 sets x 5 reps

barbell rows 3x10

pull-ups 3xfailure

Barbell Curls 3x8

DB Curls 3x10

Thursday: legs

Squats 5x10

Leg curls 3x10

DB or BB Lunges 3x16(8 reps per leg)

Calve Raises 3x15

Leg Extensions 2x15

Friday: shoulders, triceps

Military press 3x10

Shrugs 4x8

Dumbbell raises 3x10

Reverse Flys/rear lateral raises 3x12

DB Tricep extensions 3x10

Skullcrushers 3x10

Also note, routines need to be changed at least once every two months. Not only the exercises need to change, but also the rep ranges they are performed at.

The rep ranges I have always used are:

3-6

6-8

8-15

I change rep ranges every month.

-------

As for Diet....

I'll explain it generically because I think most debaters are smart enough to figure it out.

Your body has three states, catabolic, anabolic and metabolic.

Catabolic is where your body is breaking down tissues. Anabolic is where your body is building tissues. Metabolic is when it is doing neither - it's the happy medium where your body wants to be.

The state your body is in is dependent upon your caloric intake.

First you calculate your BMR or Base Metabolic Rate. Your BMR is the amount of calories it takes for your body to maintain your weight. (some calculate this at rest, others calculate it with an estimate of physical activity included)

You can do that here : http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

If you consume fewer calories than your BMR, you enter a catabolic state.

If you consume more, you're in an anabolic state.

People naturally tend to be towards one of these states. Hence why some people are skinny(ectomorphs) and others not so skinny (mesomorphs and endomorphs). Although, the morphs are also dependent upon bone structure etc. knowing which category you fit into can significantly help you understand the diet you need to follow.

I comment less on diet because in most states you have to be a registered dietician to give diet advice, so it's not something I usually do.

I posted a whole slew of info - if you have any questions or specific goals (sport oreinted?) feel free to ask.