Sign in to follow this  
Danny Tanner

Industrial Agriculture Aff

Has anyone thought about running a community farming affirmative? I'm not sure how feasible it is and since I don't debate anymore, I don't really have time to find out, but does anyone have any ideas?

Has anyone thought about running a community farming affirmative? I'm not sure how feasible it is and since I don't debate anymore, I don't really have time to find out, but does anyone have any ideas?

I hadn't thought about it, no, and I'm not sure whether you mean to replace industrial agriculture with some sort of community farming venture or to get more people working in industrial agriculture, but it can be attacked either way because:

a) Industrial agriculture is key to low food prices and producing enough food to maintain a global population of ~7 billion.

B) A study done for the US. Office of Technology Assessment conducted by the UC Davis Macrosocial Accounting Project concluded that industrial agriculture is associated with substantial deterioration of human living conditions in nearby rural communities.

Clarification please?

• Downvote 1

I think this is very susceptible to a lot of the stuff run on the college circuit this year, the wealth of pre-cut negative evidence (which I guess would have been aff on the subsidies topic) would be pretty deadly for someone running this case.

I hadn't thought about it, no, and I'm not sure whether you mean to replace industrial agriculture with some sort of community farming venture or to get more people working in industrial agriculture, but it can be attacked either way because:

a) Industrial agriculture is key to low food prices and producing enough food to maintain a global population of ~7 billion.

B) A study done for the US. Office of Technology Assessment conducted by the UC Davis Macrosocial Accounting Project concluded that industrial agriculture is associated with substantial deterioration of human living conditions in nearby rural communities.

Clarification please?

I should have been more clear, I was referring to replacing industrial agriculture with community farming.

So long as it is topical, I wouldn't shy away from running it based on the problems mentioned. Every affirmative is "debatable" so of course it can be attacked. You just have to have the better arguments.

In terms of industrial agriculture "maintaining the population of ~7 billion," it doesn't do that. People think, for example, that people are starving in African countries because there is no food there, but really there is a shitload of food there, they just don't own it. Industrial agriculture causes far more hunger than it "solves" for, so if I were running this case, that is a debate I would welcome. The environmental advantages are huge and this is pretty defensible on a critical level as well.

And as far as college pre-made files go, they probably exist on both sides. On top of that, files don't make debaters good debaters with weak files will almost always win against bad debaters with great files.

I should have been more clear, I was referring to replacing industrial agriculture with community farming.

So long as it is topical, I wouldn't shy away from running it based on the problems mentioned. Every affirmative is "debatable" so of course it can be attacked. You just have to have the better arguments.

In terms of industrial agriculture "maintaining the population of ~7 billion," it doesn't do that. People think, for example, that people are starving in African countries because there is no food there, but really there is a shitload of food there, they just don't own it. Industrial agriculture causes far more hunger than it "solves" for, so if I were running this case, that is a debate I would welcome. The environmental advantages are huge and this is pretty defensible on a critical level as well.

And as far as college pre-made files go, they probably exist on both sides. On top of that, files don't make debaters good debaters with weak files will almost always win against bad debaters with great files.

Change USDA policy with respect to food stamps perhaps....

Change subsidies policies to focus on small farms.

I worry that most ways to topicality are FX based (for instance the food stamps example would be quantitatively and qualitatively better "social services"...but would do so in an FX way).

You might look into how the USDA uses and could change its Faith-Based and Community Initiatives. I wonder if just increasing "education about non-industrial farming or maybe about the harms of industrial farming"

I worry that most affs in this area can be counterplaned with the Ban c/p option--but that may be true of many affs this year. (ie ban mental health or ban institutional health, ban education/schools, ban X government agency....)

Sign in to follow this