debater34

**BEST DEBATE TEAM EVER**

lets take a poll. who was the best debate team (team, not school) ever? Or at least in the last 10 years or so? choices should be based on tournament wins, overall record, and even the untangibles like general sweetness.

St. Mark's Josh Branson/Michael Martin

although they lost in finals of the TOC, they dropped less than 10 ballots the entire year (including the TOC finals). They had the best high school debate record ever.

St. Mark's Josh Branson/Michael Martin

anyone else ever go undefeated on AFF their senior year?

brennan

While St. Marks was incredible that year and they would easily be the top team any other year, there was one team that was better. Pace Smith/Allen went undefeated in every elim round but one, and had the better record head to head against st. marks. Both teams were ahead of every other team that year but Pace did slightly better overall and won the TOC, so i'd give them the nod.

anyone else ever go undefeated on AFF their senior year?

brennan

THEY WERE AFF WHEN THEY LOST IN THE FINALS OF THE TOC. WE KNOW, WE WERE THERE, IF DRUNK.

While St. Marks was incredible that year and they would easily be the top team any other year, there was one team that was better. Pace Smith/Allen went undefeated in every elim round but one, and had the better record head to head against st. marks. Both teams were ahead of every other team that year but Pace did slightly better overall and won the TOC, so i'd give them the nod.

Josh and Michael did not drop a single elims ballot until Emory, when they lost, coincidentally, to Pace. This means they won (with no elim ballots lost):

Grapevine

The Greenhill Round Robin

Greenhill

The Glenbrooks

MBA

They were in Semis at Emory and Finals of TOC.

They also won NFL.

Their elim losses were on Conditionality bad (Emory) and Spark (TOC), hardly arguments many in the debate community find strong.

Allen and Smith were a very good team, but the results of one round (or two, if you count Emory), are not enough to decide the greatest team of all time. Branson and Martin's overall performance throughout the year- despite a disappointing loss in the finals of the TOC- makes them the greatest team of all time.

Josh and Michael did not drop a single elims ballot until Emory, when they lost, coincidentally, to Pace. This means they won (with no elim ballots lost):

Grapevine

The Greenhill Round Robin

Greenhill

The Glenbrooks

MBA

They were in Semis at Emory and Finals of TOC.

They also won NFL.

Their elim losses were on Conditionality bad (Emory) and Spark (TOC), hardly arguments many in the debate community find strong.

Allen and Smith were a very good team, but the results of one round (or two, if you count Emory), are not enough to decide the greatest team of all time. Branson and Martin's overall performance throughout the year- despite a disappointing loss in the finals of the TOC- makes them the greatest team of all time.

Pace AS were the only folks to not drop a single ballot at the TOC though... like, ever... and they put 50 some odd answers on our K at the USC RR... so just like any other team that beat me they deserve to burn in hell...

And oh yeah, it's really not worthwhile to compare folks from different time periods... in any competitive event. Like, Bruce Lee and the ODB would be a sweet matchup, but alas there is no objective measure of fucking awesomeness.

St. Mark's was incredible as a team. In more recent years, I think the Murrarys from Colleyville did muchos owning.

Caddo Magnet

teams like:

Tom Kruse

Rigby

Khamal Gahali

Jarrod Atchison (edit)

*much love from belanger

I will combine many years of GBN Greatness - no partnerships, just debaters -

(from earliest to latest)

hurder

powers

McCluskey (special mention)

shalmon

lewis

nathan

klinger

schy

singer

greenstein

nadell

stern

rosecrans

ziering

girlschig (rachel schy)

I think that Michigan State Greta Stahl/Dave Strauss have to get mention, I think that they are the only team to clear at the NDT four years.

Mike Klinger at GBN(mentioned above) did some amazing things both in high school and in college

If we're throwing college teams into the mix, someone has to mention Northwestern Gottleib/Sparacino, for winning the NDT twice.

From a quick read through of this page: http://www.wfu.edu/organizations/NDT/HistoricalLists/winners.html

it seems that the only other team to accomplish this is Redlands - James Wilson and Holt Spicer in 1951 and 1952.

If we're going back 10 years, my vote is for Caddo Magnet GR, TOC Champions 1996 (I'm pretty sure that's right). Andy Ryan and Khamal Ghali are about the nicest people you could ever meet in your life. That, and they won basically every tournament they went to.

If we're going back 10 years, my vote is for Caddo Magnet GR, TOC Champions 1996 (I'm pretty sure that's right). Andy Ryan and Khamal Ghali are about the nicest people you could ever meet in your life. That, and they won basically every tournament they went to.

they won in 97, and I definitely agree, because not only did they have high school success (7-0 top seed won the TOC and gbrooks) but kamal was also in finals of the NDT as a sophomore in college, semis as a junior, and finals as a senior (losing to his high school partner Andy Ryan). He also was one of Micheal Gotleeb's 2 losses as a senior in college while kamal was a sophomore.

and the fact that gottlieb didn't debate in high school makes this all the more incredible

FALSE. DABAITED IN KANSAS. MANHATTAN HIGH IF WE REMEMBER CORRECTLY.

not only did he debate, but if my memory serves me correctly, it was he who caused all the TOC tourneys to disallow maverick entries... either him or john rains IV

brennan

If we're throwing college teams into the mix, someone has to mention Northwestern Gottleib/Sparacino, for winning the NDT twice.

From a quick read through of this page: http://www.wfu.edu/organizations/NDT/HistoricalLists/winners.html

it seems that the only other team to accomplish this is Redlands - James Wilson and Holt Spicer in 1951 and 1952.

There were two more, both from Northwestern: Richard Kirshberg and William Welsh in the '50s or '60s, and Sean McCaffity and Jody Terry in '94 and '95.