Sign in to follow this  
Mr. T

Heg Debate

So i just finished with my heg good adv. What should i be ready for? For example, what will people run against it becuase i have never had a heg adv.

1. war (think we can do w/e we want)

2. terrorism

3. china-war

4. prolif/terrorism (to neutralize leadership)

5. preemptive wars

6. iraq instability --> spills over --> terrorism --> extinction

7. South china sea (big leadership race there)

8. US-China relations

9. general backlash

10. overstrech of economy/military, killing readiness/econ

11. leads to space prolif of weapons --> extinction

That's just what I have in my file I'm looking at. If you want the specific neg cards so you can look at the warrants of them, PM me

Edited by Zachary
cleared something up

Which is funny, because I've never seen a Security K run well until I watched Layne and Craig's round against Damien EH.

You should have updated evidence that hege is sustainable in the long-run. You also want to have answers to the offshore balancing argument made by Christopher Layne (look in pretty much any hege bad file). Finally, you may want to skim through the indexes of some camp hege files and see that you are prepared to answer the more common impact turns.

Which is funny, because I've never seen a Security K run well until I watched Layne and Craig's round against Damien EH.

on youtube right? i did at least.

So i just finished with my heg good adv. What should i be ready for? For example, what will people run against it becuase i have never had a heg adv.

This is/was what I remember/have on hand from my high school heg bad expando. I would be prepared to answer everything on here, as a start.

-Uniqueness - multipolarity/offshore balancing coming

-Heg =/= sustainable (China, East Asia, EU, Germany, Russia, Iran, Economy)

-Multipolarity inevitable

-Multipolarity solves harms

-Offshore balancing solves harms (East Asia, Middle East-specific)

-Various answers to heg good authors (Kagan, Brooks, Ferguson, K-zad, Rubin, scenarios (Mid-East, Japan re-arm, Caspian, etc), and turns-disad claims (economy, proliferation, terrorism, war, <whatever you use> )

-Heg bad scenarios: Asian instability, Middle East war, China war, Russia-China alliance, Terrorism (nuclear, biological, etc), proliferation, economic collapse/overstretch, entanglement, space militarization, democracy, environment

-Answers to "transition wars" and "reintervention inevitable"

If its a soft power link then you might hit turns like the two state solution and stuff like that.

If its a soft power link then you might hit turns like the two state solution and stuff like that.

Yeah, I forgot to mention this. My partner and I hit a team that ran a Multipolarity DA against us. I believe the structure was like this:

U: Multipolarity low now

L: Soft power increases multipolarity

i/L: Unipolarity key to solving terrorism

I: Terrorism leads to extinction

We just turned the i/L by saying that soft power solves terrorism, and then made a terrorism advantage accordingly.

Yeah, I forgot to mention this. My partner and I hit a team that ran a Multipolarity DA against us. I believe the structure was like this:

We just turned the i/L by saying that soft power solves terrorism, and then made a terrorism advantage accordingly.

When you're doing this, you need to answer the claim that unipolarity solves terrorism too - otherwise, your argument is still defensive. You might also want to answer "soft power --> multipolarity"; otherwise, they can just stack on more Multipolarity Bad impacts in the block, and you're in trouble because you're not prepared to defend it with a soft power advantage.

Other than that, this is what you want to do with a heg advantage - find inroads to turn every disad and have separate mitigation somewhere along the line. You have the benefit of an enormous lit base that answers virtually every impact, so use it.

You should be brushing off this "Multipolarity DA" as a joke if you are claiming hegemony is good. The argument is that soft power soothes resentment and makes other countries look to America as the ideal - technological/energy leadership makes other countries want to send their intellectuals/students to American companies and do business with American companies, all the while respecting the country as the pinnacle of innovation; disease/public health assistance/other foreign aid prevents resentment and makes other countries look to us as a benevolent hegemon; the list goes on, I use these two examples as they were the most relevent to the last two debate topics, and therefore most familiar. Economic Integration/Free Trade, Alliances, Partnerships, and International Institutions, and Public Diplomacy/Education also gives several other results that makes unipolarity sustainable - this is the thesis for almost any hege good argument predicated off a soft power internal link.

http://www.csis.org/media/csis/pubs/071106_csissmartpowerreport.pdf is a recent report by CSIS, headed by Joseph Nye, that explains how all of this relates to unipolairty in depth.

Sign in to follow this