superaznpanda

Your Mom CP

My friend and i are trying to write a your mom CP; plantext being: The USFG should employ your mom to do the [aff plan]. The main idea is that your mom is better than you, therefore your plan is inferior. i need more ideas cuz i cant find that much evidence...

fyi: i was a novice this year, so sry if i ask dumbass questions

• Downvote 5

My friend and i are trying to write a your mom CP; plantext being: The USFG should employ your mom to do the [aff plan]. The main idea is that your mom is better than you, therefore your plan is inferior. i need more ideas cuz i cant find that much evidence...

QFA

What has debate involved into? There really is no purpose for this counterplan.

• Downvote 3

QFA

maybe you shouldn't shoot down a funny idea until you know the difference between "involved" and "evolved".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

okok, idc if its funny to u or not, but my league in policy isnt exactly that competitive. i won with pikachu for alt. energy this year, so im pretty sure this would work for poverty... (the plan is just to throw off the the other team's confidence and answers. its a "mental" thing) im just asking for ideas thrown around here

QFA

The purpose of this counterplan is the same as all other CPs. It's to make the affirmative's plan look inferior, and to provide an alternative to it that everyone will love. I'm sure people would love their moms to go out, and do work for the USFG.

• Downvote 1

Threads like this are why we can't have nice things.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I ran Hamster Wheels this year (my novice year), so I think that I may be able to answer "why not" reasonably.

If you're running a silly argument of any sort, you need to do at least one of three things successfully to win on it:

a) Have solvency.

B) Have evidence.

c) Amuse the judge.

For Hamster Wheels, there was solvency: We claimed advantages off of reducing obesity, ignoring the fact that we weren't really producing a whole lot of energy. We had evidence: Click the link in my signature if you don't believe that. And we amused the judge: It's humorous, not cringe-inducing. Even if you don't like the idea of a funny aff, you can concede that Hamster Wheels does have some argumentative merit to it.

The big issue with a "Your Mom" CP is that you don't have any of these. There's no solvency - the USFG is the actor, not the opposing team. There's no evidence - it's all anecdotal, and anecdotal evidence can't be trusted. It doesn't amuse the judge; 9 times out of 10 they'll be laughing at you, not with you.

Please don't cut this CP.

EDIT - Or take Mass Suicide. It has solvency: it solves for anthropogenic harms. It has an advocate: the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement. (However, it's not very funny.)

Edited by LSK
  • Downvote 1

Guest svfrey
lol. ten posts and we still havent gotten anywhere... is anyone up for a post thats actually helpful?

nah, not really.

• Downvote 1

I ran Hamster Wheels this year (my novice year), so I think that I may be able to answer "why not" reasonably.

If you're running a silly argument of any sort, you need to do at least one of three things successfully to win on it:

a) Have solvency.

B) Have evidence.

c) Amuse the judge.

For Hamster Wheels, there was solvency: We claimed advantages off of reducing obesity, ignoring the fact that we weren't really producing a whole lot of energy. We had evidence: Click the link in my signature if you don't believe that. And we amused the judge: It's humorous, not cringe-inducing. Even if you don't like the idea of a funny aff, you can concede that Hamster Wheels does have some argumentative merit to it.

The big issue with a "Your Mom" CP is that you don't have any of these. There's no solvency - the USFG is the actor, not the opposing team. There's no evidence - it's all anecdotal, and anecdotal evidence can't be trusted. It doesn't amuse the judge; 9 times out of 10 they'll be laughing at you, not with you.

Please don't cut this CP.

Alrite. its possible to make your "we are in poverty aff" a cp rite? cuz i need at least one funny thing under my arm just for the hell of it. and i rather make arguments that i like

Alrite. its possible to make your "we are in poverty aff" a cp rite? cuz i need at least one funny thing under my arm just for the hell of it. and i rather make arguments that i like

PM incoming.

• Downvote 1