Sign in to follow this  
alter-narrative

Should Guantanamo be closed or kept open?

Should Guananamo detention center be closed or kept open  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should Guananamo detention center be closed or kept open

• Close it down immediately.
    • keep it open indefinitely (until the US wins the war on terror)
    • phase it out gradually during Obama's first term

I' been puzzled by this issue for a while.

As I see it, the issue hasn't been "where" suspected terrorists are held. Rather, the real issue is "how" suspected terrorists are treated. The outrage of Guantanamo hasn't been the fact that prisoners are held on a pleasant tropical island in semi-isolation. I thought the big issue was that they were being held without charge and without a chance to defend themselves.

Guantanamo has become a symbol of Bush's heavy-handed policies regarding "enemy noncombatants:" no lawyers, no charges, no tribunals, no chance to defend themselves, etc. But the place is just that: A SYMBOL.

Moving the prisoners accomplishes nothing except take away the symbol. I haven't heard anything about trials or rights once they are moved. They would still be in the same limbo they've been in for years. They would just be in different places.

Finally, as a resident of Colorado where one of the supermax prisons exists, I have no problem with ultra-violent criminals (including actual terrorists) being held here. I am confident of the facilities in my "back yard." The fear mongering is just silly -- and reminds me of the cries of "terrorist supporters" folks like Palin lobbed at Obama last summer.

Even though they haven't shut down some of the other places, I still think it best to shut down Gitmo. Shut down all the prisons, but we have to start somewhere. Get them to the US for a fair trial.

What people keep ignoring is that if we moved the gitmo detainees to the US, they'd end up in super max prisons. these prisons have NEVER, and let me repeat that, NEVER been broken out of. There is absolutely ZERO reason why we have to create a separate prison for them. Especially one with such a poor record

I say, leave the facilities open. Just don't use them for such nefarious purposes - in fact, transform them into something a bit more pleasant, like the sugarless cookie capital of the world.