briguy

how to prepare over the summer

So I just came out of my first year of debate which was...a learning experience. What can i do to prepare for the upcoming season before I go to camp besides speaking drills? thanks guys ;-)

practice debates, read up on literature, flow practtice, watch recorded debates to see what each team did and find all the little nuances of the arguments, speed drills, read a book on persuasiveness >.>, and a few more

Guest fizelly27

cut a couple of big generic files (a heg file, a K impact turn file, etc.)

Prepare blocks against all the likely affs: education, abortion, housing, health care, jobs, etc. Also, write an aff of your own, so you have as much time as possible to add 2AC frontlines.

thanks guys. any suggestions on the lit?

Well, there are some big ones EVERYONE should cover just to be considered "well read" such as Kant, Hobbes, Plato and Maslow. If that all sounds way too heavy, though, then you might want to think about what aspects of philosophy interest you as you'll always have an easier time learning something you actually care about. You also could start by looking around for copies of kritiks from this year and previous years and then reading the material cited in the kritik. Of course, I also suggest that, whatever you read, you do it with a pen and bracket anything you think might be useful for any positions you like to run...

In addition to what everyone else said, I'd also reccommend scheduling practice debates in front of either assistant coaches or advanced debaters on your team. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Getting hints and tips from anyone around you who knows what they're doing can be very educational.

Also, I highly reccommend watching DDI's lectures from last year. I found some of them here: http://ddi.wikispaces.com/Lectures but I thought I recalled there being others somewhere else...

As soon as you get back from camp, you should be coordinating with other debaters from your team to recut and recompile all of your camp files into the files your team will actually use for much of next year.

Good luck and have a great summer!

thanks scrooge, saw that post.

and thanks teddy, that sounds like a really good idea. we never ran a kritik last year and only successfully argued against one...haha...so I guess I'll do that.

currently my partner and i are the only policy squad at our school, but we might be getting more ;-)

I'd say as far as specifics for next year go - get yourself an Aff ready (plenty of good advice on here as to how about doing that) and get ready for the big arguements.

The essentialism K, states CP, and nietzsche.

To be even more specific I'd recommend developing AFF answers to essentialism and states then actually reading "On the Genealogy of Morals". It's going to be HUGE so at the very least try and internalize it and then cut anwsers... pdf is in the critiques forum. You never know, you might want to take it as a neg position.

Get ready for badiou and his ethics, get ready for politics (plan pop/unpop with dems/repubz - this may change, but you'll know the story why), and once there are enough holes plugged in your aff move to your go-to neg.

Anyone of those listed above are great, but predictable - if your kritikal try for some lacan (no one knows lacan, for some reason) or like I said Nietzsche (predictable, but winable none the less). If not, get your states CP solvency ready and some disads. Then when camps release their files - get 'um and read 'um. You'll be ahead of the game, thats for sure.

Know the topic - be the subaltern - snag the ballot. chyeah.