LSK

Microloans aff

correct me if I'm wrong, but don't microloans usually deal with developing countries? I think there is probably a reason for that. The reason they are microloans is that they are like a few dollars. That wouldn't work here.

Yeah. The track record of microcredits in the US isn't great. Or good. Or even optimistic.

I know there is some record of "micro enterprise training" which I would imagine would be used in conjunction with "micro enterprise loans."

They are often coordinated by self-help groups (SHGs). Groups that share collective responsibility for repaying the loans.

The online portal Kiva provides one-to-one loans in contrast to the group oriented loans.

Increasingly...these organizations are looking to provide the full range of banking services including "savings, checking, and consumer lending."

(Bootstrap Dreams, Nancy Jurik)

p. 9 of Boostram dreams speaks to the feminist and anti-corporate bent of micro loans. (even though they are pro-capital....but in a more de-centralized way)

p. 10 has a great solvency card at the end. (solves multiple internals to poverty and the economy)

p.14 gives an interesting long term link turn to some social control positions--that they allieviate other parts of the social net (aka welfare state).

-Although this is arguably a link to a trade-off disad position (although I don't want to be in the position of saying welfare state good)

Aspen Institute and Accion Institute as well as these big players in the social enterprise, philanthrophy, and micro loans field (some of those focus on the developing world and emerging markets...in fact most do....as opposed to the developed world):

The latest effort to get the ball rolling is the Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs. It’s an offshoot of the Aspen Institute and has about 35 members,
including such stand-out organizations as Root Capital, Endeavor, Acumen Fund, and TechnoServe.
Altogether, they have some $750 million they plan on investing in entrepreneurs and economic development projects over the next five years. ANDE is funded by a bunch of heavyweight philanthropies, of both the new and old schools. The nouveau riche:
Gates Foundation, Skoll Foundation, Google.org, and Omidyar Network.
The older money: Rockefeller, Shell, and Citi. “If you care about the global economy, this is where you’d put your stimulus money,” says Walter Isaacson, CEO of Aspen Institute.

Check out the full Business Week article here

I know there is some record of "micro enterprise training" which I would imagine would be used in conjunction with "micro enterprise loans."

They are often coordinated by self-help groups (SHGs). Groups that share collective responsibility for repaying the loans.

The online portal Kiva provides one-to-one loans in contrast to the group oriented loans.

Increasingly...these organizations are looking to provide the full range of banking services including "savings, checking, and consumer lending."

p. 9 of Boostram dreams speaks to the feminist and anti-corporate bent of micro loans. (even though they are pro-capital....but in a more de-centralized way)

p. 10 has a great solvency card at the end. (solves multiple internals to poverty and the economy)

p.14 gives an interesting long term link turn to some social control positions--that they allieviate other parts of the social net (aka welfare state).

-Although this is arguably a link to a trade-off disad position (although I don't want to be in the position of saying welfare state good)

Aspen Institute and Accion Institute as well as these big players in the social enterprise, philanthrophy, and micro loans field (some of those focus on the developing world and emerging markets...in fact most do....as opposed to the developed world):

The latest effort to get the ball rolling is the Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs. It’s an offshoot of the Aspen Institute and has about 35 members,
including such stand-out organizations as Root Capital, Endeavor, Acumen Fund, and TechnoServe.
Altogether, they have some $750 million they plan on investing in entrepreneurs and economic development projects over the next five years. ANDE is funded by a bunch of heavyweight philanthropies, of both the new and old schools. The nouveau riche:
The older money: Rockefeller, Shell, and Citi. “If you care about the global economy, this is where you’d put your stimulus money,” says Walter Isaacson, CEO of Aspen Institute.

Strategic outlook for micro lending for the high school poverty topic:

Could be an affirmative

Could be a counterplan *** (either the developing world version or the developed world version....this makes it a tad tricky to answer). Also there are tons of nuance and distinctions in the literature--which puts the avid researcher at a fairly extreme advantage.

--the counterplan could also use alternative actors...ie any of the above in the bold.

Could be a tradeoff disad (ie poverty training domestically trades off with our micro enterprise program--as US AID micro enterprise good--although this is a very specific version)

i ran this aff on the africa topic, and it was great there, but i think there are some issues with corportions and big business that the creators of the program haven't accounted for since, well, it is for developing countries

my team has come to the conclusion is should be ran for rural poverty, since big business has less of a choke hold there

Yes..the majority of activities take place in the developing world....but there are also micro-loans going on in the US.

Its BOTH/AND. Its going on in Africa (and elsewhere) AND the US.

I imagine most of what goes on in the US is by privates and nonprofits and foundations.

Are they micro-loans in the Grameem Foundation model? I'm not sure.

Google has over 1.2 million results for Microloans in US.

The problem w/ this in the US that most 3rd world countries bypass is big business. It's MUCH harder to compete w/ a new business financed by microcredits in the US than in less developed countries because big companies already have chokeholds on most businesses.

I think thats interesting speculation....it would be interesting to hear some literature based criticism or advantages of microcredit/microloans in the US context...