October 9/10 - Wichita East

October 16/17 - BV West

October 23/24 - BV North

October 30/31 - KCKCC

November 6/7 - Valley Center

November 13/14 - Newton

November 20/21 - Topeka High School

December 4/5 - Lawrence

1. Debaters who advance to the quarterfinal round of bid division tournaments will earn one bid.

2. Debaters who advance to the final round of bid division tournaments will earn two bids.

3. Bid divisions with more than 48 teams competing in the division will offer one bid to each of the top 16 teams.

4. All national qualifiers from NFL and CFL tournaments will earn one bid.

Out of curiosity, why is it that SME is not on this list? While I can't say that I have a problem with any of the schools, I would argue that their tournament last year was far better than many of the other tournaments on the list that I attended in terms of the judging pool and competition.

I guess my real question is, how do they pick which schools can host DCI bid tournaments?

Out of curiosity, why is it that SME is not on this list? While I can't say that I have a problem with any of the schools, I would argue that their tournament last year was far better than many of the other tournaments on the list that I attended in terms of the judging pool and competition.

I guess my real question is, how do they pick which schools can host DCI bid tournaments?

Schools apply to be DCI tournaments and the DCI committee picks the tournament list. That said, I don't know the specifics of the SME tournament situation... but I'm sure that a good decision was made. Bid tournaments for the most part might rotate around a little bit from year to year to ensure geographic diversity.

SME did not submit a bid application to be a DCI tournament.

The bid selection process includes a variety of factors such as location, tournament quality, and tournament date. We had several weekends this year for which we had only one bid application. This makes it more difficult to create an equitable and balanced annual bid list.

We are pleased to welcome Valley Center and Hutch to this year's list, and we hope to see bid applications from even more new schools next year. The greater the diversity among the bid applications, the greater the diversity in the list of bid tournaments.

So, if you wish there were more schools/regions/styles/judging pools just like yours on the bid list, encourage your coach to submit a bid application.

If each of you created a "dream list" of bid tournaments, you might be surprised at how few of them submitted applications.

Talk to your peers from other schools at camps and workshops this summer. Encourage them to talk to (not argue, not harrass, not threaten) their coaches about submitting a bid application.

Here's the good news: the DCI tournament still attracts the best debaters and the best debate styles from across the state. Let's continue to make sure that the competition for bids remains as competitive as the DCI tournament itself!

Mr Anderson or others-

Is there an archive document showing the list and (approx.) dates of each bid tournament from each year we've been doing it this way?

if so, can you send it to me? i'm just curious. in a "kills-the-cat" sort of way.

hibbs/winfield

email: jasonhibbs AT gmail

The bid tracker at Ad Astra has the 2008 list of tournaments and dates. The 2007 tracker doesn't have such a list, but you could reverse-engineer a list of tournaments from the results posted.

9 14/15 WaRu

9 21/22 Derby

9 28/29 Buhler

10 5/6 Garden City

10 12/13 Wichita East

10 19/20 Olathe NW

10 26/27 BVN

11 2/3 KCCC

11 9/10 Newton

11 16/17 Topeka High

11 30/12-1 Lawrence

Debate Coaches Invitational

Bid Tournaments: 2008-2009

September 19th and 20th

Washburn Rural High School

September 26th and 27th

Shawnee Mission West High School

October 3rd and 4th

Olathe Northwest High School

October 10th and 11th

Wichita East High School

October 17th and 18th

Blue Valley High School

October 24th and 25th

Blue Valley North High School

October 31st and Nov. 1st

Kansas City Kansas Community College

November 7th and 8th

Shawnee Mission East High School

November 14th and 15th

Newton High School

November 21st and 22nd

Topeka High School

December 5th and 6th

Maize High School

These were copied and pasted from old threads.

A question from a non-Kansan: where is Valley Center? In past years, what's the judge pool like there?

That's a pretty good weekend for my teams to travel north for some good rounds....along with Wichita East, Hutchinson, & Olathe Whatever-Compasspoint.

My preference is to have good teams to debate with good judges. If I can only have 1 of those 2, I'll take "good teams to debate" every time, especially in the first semester of our season. The DCI-bid system would seem to insure that there will be good teams there; hopefully we'll be taking better advantage of that.

A question from a non-Kansan: where is Valley Center? In past years, what's the judge pool like there?

That's a pretty good weekend for my teams to travel north for some good rounds....along with Wichita East, Hutchinson, & Olathe Whatever-Compasspoint.

My preference is to have good teams to debate with good judges. If I can only have 1 of those 2, I'll take "good teams to debate" every time, especially in the first semester of our season. The DCI-bid system would seem to insure that there will be good teams there; hopefully we'll be taking better advantage of that.

Valley Center has either never hosted a DCI bid tournament or, if they have, it has been quite awhile since it last happened. In past years, from what I've heard, it has been a "normal" local tournament, which in Kansas means a high percentage of lay and conservative judging styles. However, Valley Center has a new coach this year, Melissa Newton, who has had experience hosting DCI tournaments at McPherson. The Wichita area can draw so pretty good judges.

So, while I can't say for certain, I would say that this will be a well run tournament with a competent judging pool.

Valley Center has either never hosted a DCI bid tournament or, if they have, it has been quite awhile since it last happened. In past years, from what I've heard, it has been a "normal" local tournament, which in Kansas means a high percentage of lay and conservative judging styles. However, Valley Center has a new coach this year, Melissa Newton, who has had experience hosting DCI tournaments at McPherson. The Wichita area can draw so pretty good judges.

So, while I can't say for certain, I would say that this will be a well run tournament with a competent judging pool.

I'd trust Melissa Newton to run anything from a speech tournament to a NASA shuttle launch; and ya gotta figure she'll lean on some of her alums to come judge. Thanks for the info!

Valley Center is kind of a suburb of Wichita, located northwest of the city. I can't speak to what the judging pools have been in the past but we are hoping to attract a similar judging pool for the DCI division as Wichita East would have (East had a pretty solid pool last year). As far as competition goes, I'm sure almost all of the competitive teams from the central part of the state would show up and the hope is that the DCI label would attract some schools from Topeka/KC as well.

I'd trust Melissa Newton to run anything from a speech tournament to a NASA shuttle launch; and ya gotta figure she'll lean on some of her alums to come judge. Thanks for the info!

:)

It will be a well run tournament with good awards, Steve Wood style lounge and qualified judges. I promise.

• Upvote 1

:)

It will be a well run tournament with good awards, Steve Wood style lounge and qualified judges. I promise.

Congrats Melissa on hosting a dci bid. It is also nice to have another bid tournaments 10 miles from me (valley center) and 30 miles west (hutch). Wow this must be what it feels like to debate in Johnson County.

Congrats Melissa on hosting a dci bid. It is also nice to have another bid tournaments 10 miles from me (valley center) and 30 miles west (hutch). Wow this must be what it feels like to debate in Johnson County.

Don't hold your breathe. There's no Gates in your neck of the wood.

Valley Center...we've had our moments of glory.

I trust that Melissa Newton will carry on the class and integrity and quality that LP always impressed upon everyone around her in years of coaching.

D