Kosmach

2009 College Topic Poll

Which topic do you want for 2009-2010's college debate season?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which topic do you want for 2009-2010's college debate season?

• Russia
    • Financial Institutions
    • Taboo
    • Immigration
    • Nukes

Please only vote if you'll be debating the topic next year. We all know how this ends up if HS kids add in their chips.

If you haven't been to the other thread, the topic papers are available for download (.pdf) here:

http://topic.cedadebate.org/?q=node/11

Edited by Sha Sha
  • Downvote 1

Please only vote if you'll be debating the topic next year. We all know how this ends up if HS kids add in their chips.

If you haven't been to the other thread, the topic papers are available for download (.pdf) here:

http://topic.cedadebate.org/?q=node/11

I've heard immigration is no longer on the ballot. Have I heard wrong, or was there a reason?

I've heard immigration is no longer on the ballot. Have I heard wrong, or was there a reason?

I've heard the rumor too and have yet to get any confirmation.

It is true that immigration is not on the ballot, here is the exact statement:

Final slate of 2009 - 2010 controversy areas

Submitted by ceda on Wed, 2009-04-29 21:01.

* Resolution

1. Should the United States increase cooperation with Russia?

2. Should the IMF and World Bank be reformed?

3. Should the United States decrease reliance on nuclear weapons?"

4. Should the United States legalize and protect 'taboo' social practices?"

Posted from http://cedadebate.org/

Oh, hm. Didn't see that on the website.

NOBODY VOTE FOR IMMIGRATION! Haha.

According to the constitution of CEDA, the topic committee first selects no fewer than 3 topic to submit to the executive council, and then the executive council finalizes the ballot. So somewhere in those steps immigration got killed.

I think this poll might jinx Nukes. The cross-x.com winner never gets picked.

Hopefully not. Thats probably the only topic I think is fairly balanced and relevant.

I think this poll might jinx Nukes. The cross-x.com winner never gets picked.

In HS the winner never gets picked. I think last year and this year the winner got picked both times for the college topic.

I'm still pretty excited by nukes. We'll see if that lasts through the wording process.

save yourself the effort- just add james in front of your location.

where i went to middle school? where is james madison, praytell?

I'd warn you that james madison was a pedo...think of the people you'll find at the school. If you're into old men, james madison is for you ;)

I'd say that it depends on where in the country you're looking at for schools and if its just for debate the type of experience that you want to have, sometimes its better to be a big fish in a small pond then a small fish in the lake. You may also want to look into coaching (do they have the scary good adrienne if you are looking at schools in the va area). Also squad size is important (attention/amount of work/ect)

or we can probably turn you in the right direction if you give us your style (policy/performance/critical) and where you want to be in the country geographically

harrisonburgs also a real fun area, up in the moutains so if you like outdoors stuff, its definitely the place to be. Downtown has a lot of really nice, unique bars, a few bigger bars to go out and party at during the weekdays, but the best place to be is at all the student housing/apartments, we love raging. and you'll never have to pay for a drink.

This is true. I visit Harrisonburg/Broadway once in awhile (I might actually be up there this summer) since my grandparents live there and it's a nice little Virginia town with lots of stuff to do. With the mountains and stuff nearby it's really good if you're into the outdoors. Only minus is that it's a few hours to the nearby airports in Richmond/DC but other than that it's pretty chill.

JMU does have a really cute girl on their team I see every now and than.

whos that?

• Downvote 1

I'll attest to the high ratio, I don't know about the hotness, but I did look at james madison a bit on my way to a family get together and its true that there are women everywhere. I can't attest to hotness though, we just hit a bunch *shrugs*

But my other questions above still need answered and don't choose a school just because they drink a lot (unless you want to be an alcoholic), choose it because it has good looking, interesting people of the gender you're into.

You guys seem to be building a decent program, if you were at somewhere like jmu, you could build something sweet. But your success might not be what it would be at an established powerhouse debate school. If you are at the powerhouse, you may not ever be worked with and graduate as the C/D team at best.

Edited by bob hope