JaredFanning

Ideas for the Mountain Forum

Wanting to see people being more active on this forum. I am willing to take any suggestions possible. I feel that running this forum correctly means listening to what the people want. SO just post it here and we will listen to any suggestions you may have.

If we can get enough people interested in these events i do not see why not. I also think that if you want polls we will need ideas on what you want them to be about.

Id like to see more work on inharency, it is a stock issue, you know?

What you know i don't speak spanish!

You ate an entire wheel of cheese?

That's amazing I'm not even mad!

What you know i don't speak spanish!

You ate an entire wheel of cheese?

That's amazing I'm not even mad!

Be nice you two!

-glares-

;)

(No edity, edity, mk pumpkin?)

But I agree with Bresach for one basic reason:

Wyoming is different. Bottom line. No matter how much we try to change our debating style, the population just doesn't allow for Wyoming to have a decent amount of flow judges. We HAVE to adapt to lay judges and stock issues become crucial.

In addition to directing our help to stock issues I think we could do more as a community to educate judges in the way of Policy. Maybe every school could hold a work shop a week or two before their tournament. I sat down with my mom and explained policy to her before she ever judged, but I wish I could have done it a bit more in depth. So maybe this is something as a debate community we could organize.

As far as the forum itself goes I agree with have more activites and keeping the stickies and what not clean and in good order.

Edited by NegativeSpace

I agree. I know that for east we hold 2 judges meetings before our tournament and we also help educate all those helping. We unlike most tournies have a better judging pool and host the biggest tourny in the state. I am open to any and every idea on how to help smaller school's get better judges. I however believe that having to adapt to lay judges is not a bad thing. Debate is a communication event and i think if you are willing to go fast you should also be willing to debate for that judge. I mean they are the ones that sign the ballot.

I agree. I know that for east we hold 2 judges meetings before our tournament and we also help educate all those helping. We unlike most tournies have a better judging pool and host the biggest tourny in the state. I am open to any and every idea on how to help smaller school's get better judges. I however believe that having to adapt to lay judges is not a bad thing. Debate is a communication event and i think if you are willing to go fast you should also be willing to debate for that judge. I mean they are the ones that sign the ballot.

Exactly my point. Thats why I think we need to focus on stock issues in the forum because thats usually what a lay debate comes down to.

I had another idea that I was going to throw out there and now I can't remember what it was... =[

Well we can work on the stock issues and maybe have discussion threads on all of these. Also post it when you remember! We greatly appreciate all the ideas so far.

Oh, hahah, now I remember. I think that we could also have some community novice help as well. I remember talking to Travis early in the season and I told him I would help him teach a novice if need-be since he faced all the partner issues. I've been told that I'm really good at spelling things out for novices and I wouldn't mind helping novices from other schools. Joining as a junior I know how hard it is to be thrown into debate.

Also I've notices there aren't a lot of Wyoming schools on cross-x, maybe contacting the other schools to get them involved?

Well GRHS and Worland joined. But that is not a bad idea. I think the teaching novices is not a bad idea. I think we can a thread working on this or we could look to the novice forum. Also our coach is doing a great job with our novices and I'm sure Travis can get help there. Not saying no but that is why you haev coaches.

Well GRHS and Worland joined. But that is not a bad idea. I think the teaching novices is not a bad idea. I think we can a thread working on this or we could look to the novice forum. Also our coach is doing a great job with our novices and I'm sure Travis can get help there. Not saying no but that is why you haev coaches.

Oh I know, this year it was harder for us because our Policy coach became head coach so it was up to us senior debaters to help out the new ones. So just throwing the idea out there. The reason I suggested it for in our forum is so we can talk to novs about some of the lay specific things they should know. They should probably be in the novice forum as well though if they want to learn about debate in depth.

Fo shiz homie. I think that with the wanting to work and have things just specific to stock issues judges that they could learn from that as well as the novice center.

I think the suggestions so far are fine, but don't forget that Colorado is a big part of this forum and their focus is less on lay debate. Too much focus in one direction begins to exclude others.

Talk to other schools about the forum; put useful info here, such as tournament schedules and which schools are going where.

Encourage your team's novices to come here as a resource.

Camp threads are useful during the summer -- who's going where; what people should bring; labs & lab leaders; etc.

Threads about who will be debating next year are generally of interest to people now.

Sounds good, and we already have the camp thread going.

Perhaps, but since the threads were collapsed, there's no place for people who are going to WFI to just post on that thread and no place for discussion solely related to Loupe's Colorado workshop. That's what I'm talking about.

Actually there is a thread to discuss WFI. The link is in the thread it says if you want to discuss click here. I will create one for the colorado debate institute.

Actually I'd like to point out the their are discussion threads for both that are linked with the collapsed thread. The original threads seem to have been left alone and we can still talk about each camp on each of those threads.

I think the tournament schedule is a great idea but it's probably too early for one about next year.