bulldog508

SCASD/SDSU Debate Camp

Maybe someone will take you for ice cream if you stop by someday though. Maybe you will judge for us on Saturday??

Yes, judging would be good. A poor excuse for participating though.

I feel old.

• Downvote 1

People should attend.

Matt isn't lying. Here's why I think everyone should go to SDSU.

1. You get to know your local competitors and judges - beyond just the benefits of meeting these cool people you will know more about what your judging pool likes to here and what they don't.

2. South Dakota Hall of Fame faculty - they all dominated the circuit when they debated, they can help you do the same.

3. No designated research - Most big name camps assign you to what they want you to research. No creativity. No individual ideas. SDSU lets you pick the arguments you want to write.

4. Look at the teams who won State for the last 4 years... Watertown BR, SFW SD, ABD SH, and BRK KA. Pretty sure all of them went to SDSU the summer before they won their title. It’s not a coincidence.

6. It’s cheaper than any other camp you’re considering, and there are debate scholarships if financial cost is an issue.

5. Doug Tschetter will be there. ‘Nuff said.

I have gone to SDSU the last three years and I honestly never regretted it. Just because a camp is bigger, more expensive, or farther away doesn’t make it a better one. PM me if you have any specific questions.

PS - I probably would be willing to judge if still in the state.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

That would be cool to have you judge. We appreciated your coming to camp and adding to it so it makes us happy that you would be willing to be hired to come back and judge!

The scholarships that are referred to are offered by the South Dakota Forensic Coaches Association. I think that application should have been sent to Mr. Grimsley at Mitchell already.

• Upvote 1

Everything is set with SDSU. I sent updates last night (Wednesday) to emails I had. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Everything is set with SDSU. I sent updates last night (Wednesday) to emails I had. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

I'm sitting in the tab room. I feel so clever.

Results

Erion/Francis (Neg) d. Dodge/Halvorson 2-1 (*Campbell, White, Kantack)

Yang/Moeller (Aff) d. Stewart/Hansen 3-0 (Wang, Bielfeldt, DiRose)

Thanks to all of you who came to judge! I wish we could compensate you better, but. . .

Students who attended who read this. . .I hope you learned some things about debate and the topic and maybe had a good time doing so, maybe met some new people. . .If you think it was worthwhile, tell your coaches and your friends. If there were troubles, tell me. Thanks again! Enjoy the rest of summer! It will go soooooo quickly.