taytortot

College 09

Where is everyone going to college? Will you debate in college?

Here are my results:

Accepted:

Carleton

Middlebury

Colorado College

Whitman

Puget Sound

CU

IU--Bloomington

Waitlisted:

Williams

Wesleyan

Pomona

No outright rejections (although I'm a pessimist about waiting lists)

Attending:

Carleton, probably, unless I get into Williams. I might do parli there, I don't think they have a policy team.

I hope I get to go to college with some of you!

Taylor: That's too bad about Pomona. I hope they pull you off the waitinglist! And also, out of curiosity, why IU?

I did a lot of early apps...

Accepted:

Harvey Mudd (ED)

Notre Dame

CO School of Mines

CU Boulder

Deferred:

MIT (I withdrew once I found out about Mudd, so I'll never know...)

I'll be going to Mudd. Thank god for ED (saved me from writing 7 or 8 essays :) ! Claremont only has a parli team, but I'll be doing engineering, so I doubt I'll have time for it.

• Upvote 1

I know, then I could pretty much go to college with you (or a few blocks away, at least)! IU because I have family that went there, and family in the area.

Accepted:

CU

DU

Tulane

USC

University of Texas at Dallas

Occidental

Waitlisted:

Amherst

Johns Hopkins

Claremont McKenna

Pomona

No rejections. whoo.

Result: Leaning towards UTD. I'll debate if I end up going. But still considering Tulane and Occidental. I'm staying with the UT debate team next weekend so I'll probably decide after that.

Accepted:

CU

DU

Tulane

USC

University of Texas at Dallas

Occidental

Waitlisted:

Amherst

Johns Hopkins

Claremont McKenna

Pomona

No rejections. whoo.

Result: Leaning towards UTD. I'll debate if I end up going. But still considering Tulane and Occidental. I'm staying with the UT debate team next weekend so I'll probably decide after that.

does USC have a good team?

• Downvote 1

does USC have a good team?

They do. They qualed two teams to the NDT this season, one of which I think broke to double-cotas.

Are you thinking about going there?

Edited by jijikago

Well thats good, just in case i ever decide to debate if i end up there...

ACCEPTED:

USC (w/ full scholarship)

Virginia

Santa Clara (w/ full tuition)

CU boulder

Northwestern

Vanderbilt

Emory

Boston College

UNC Chapel Hill

Waitlisted:

Duke

I'm basically considering USC and Virginia, maybe northwestern's a wild card

They do. They qualed two teams to the NDT this season, one of which I think broke to double-cotas.

Are you thinking about going there?

yeah

Well thats good, just in case i ever decide to debate if i end up there...

FYI I think that they recommend that their debaters major in communication at USC.

whoever neg repped me as asking a "stupid question" likes it up the ass

im trying to decide colleges, sorry for asking

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

since the national reply deadline is tomorrow, what are the final decisions?

mine is Carleton for sure, none of this ambivalence about Williams any more. I even bought a Carleton sweatshirt...

mine is Carleton for sure, none of this ambivalence about Williams any more. I even bought a Carleton sweatshirt...

Hey, if you are interested in judging for policy debate at all during the year, there are tournaments every weekend from the start of October to mid December in Minnesota. It would involve getting to the cities, though there is a bus. If you're interested, email me at rsadagopal@gmail.com, we'd probably hire you to judge.

Also, my old debate partner goes there now, and is doing parli, if you want someone there who has made the switch.

• Upvote 1

Who's your former partner? Maybe I know him/her. I can say from experience that it's difficult to get up and back to the cities. Since I'm pretty sure Northfield HS doesn't do speech/debate, I wonder if there are any teams that travel near Northfield on their way to tournaments. There are almost 6,000 college students here, so I'd have to imagine they could find several potential judges to hire if they wanted to and were able to give them rides there and back.

Hey, if you are interested in judging for policy debate at all during the year, there are tournaments every weekend from the start of October to mid December in Minnesota. It would involve getting to the cities, though there is a bus. If you're interested, email me at rsadagopal@gmail.com, we'd probably hire you to judge.

Also, my old debate partner goes there now, and is doing parli, if you want someone there who has made the switch.

• Upvote 1

Who's your former partner? Maybe I know him/her. I can say from experience that it's difficult to get up and back to the cities. Since I'm pretty sure Northfield HS doesn't do speech/debate, I wonder if there are any teams that travel near Northfield on their way to tournaments. There are almost 6,000 college students here, so I'd have to imagine they could find several potential judges to hire if they wanted to and were able to give them rides there and back.

Justin Moor. He mentioned around Februrary he was going to start doing Parli.

And I don't know about the bus, but I know I made the drive yesterday to the town past Northfield from Bloomington in under 30 minutes, which would make the Jefferson tournament a easier one to judge

Edited by theglobalcowboy
  • Upvote 1

whoever neg repped me as asking a "stupid question" likes it up the ass

im trying to decide colleges, sorry for asking

i apologize i now realize that sounds homophobic im sorry for the offensive language but I really dont appreciate being neg repped for asking a question about the quality of a debate team

• Downvote 3

Hey guys, so here's my final decision (in case you haven't heard)

I will be attending the University of Texas at Dallas!

I narrowed my choice down to UTD and Occidental, but UTD had the honors program and the better scholarship. and being recruited to the debate team wasn't bad either lol :P

If you juniors are thinking about debating in college, you should definitely talk to Chris Burk at UTD. They have an amazing squad that got third at CEDA and broke at the NDT.

I know compared to you Colorado debaters i didn't apply to anywhere, but the University of Wyoming. I am also walking on to their debate team with a few other wyo seniors that i know.

I know compared to you Colorado debaters i didn't apply to anywhere, but the University of Wyoming. I am also walking on to their debate team with a few other wyo seniors that i know.

Hahah, wow that's a familiar story.

I actually had the opportunity to dive for Northern University is SD, they also wanted me to do parli there, but I really don't want to dive in college. My coach here is what made diving so much fun, no one will ever be able to replace that.

But I didn't apply around, only at UW. I'm walking on the debate team. I already have a roommate and an art scholarship.

Hahah, wow that's a familiar story.

I actually had the opportunity to dive for Northern University is SD, they also wanted me to do parli there, but I really don't want to dive in college. My coach here is what made diving so much fun, no one will ever be able to replace that.

But I didn't apply around, only at UW. I'm walking on the debate team. I already have a roommate and an art scholarship.

Who is your roomate? I had one but he got a full ride to DU.

Who is your roomate? I had one but he got a full ride to DU.

I don't know if you remember her or not, her name is Tory Walsh. I luffs her.

P.s. there is a potato in our forum. =[