jmiller

2009 Tournament of Champions

Did anyone notice that only 6 states are represented in breaks? shows what states are dominant, California, Texas and Georgia

Did anyone notice that only 6 states are represented in breaks? shows what states are dominant, California, Texas and Georgia

12/17 breaks are from those three states. 15/17 are from CA, TX, GA, or IL.

Then again, sometimes certain states just have up years and others have down years. There's no disputing that there is some serious geographic disparity here though.

• Upvote 1

12/17 breaks are from those three states. 15/17 are from CA, TX, GA, or IL.

Then again, sometimes certain states just have up years and others have down years. There's no disputing that there is some serious geographic disparity here though.

It's not a coincidence that the majority of bid tournaments are concentrated in these general regions.

• Downvote 1

It's not a coincidence that the majority of bid tournaments are concentrated in these general regions.

I don't think it has anything to do with the number of bid tournaments, because this is break rounds, not just TOC entries, meaning they proved their worth. so yes, it is a coincidence.

• Downvote 1

I don't think it has anything to do with the number of bid tournaments, because this is break rounds, not just TOC entries, meaning they proved their worth. so yes, it is a coincidence.

Either the high quality of debate teams in those areas -> they're able to host lots of bid tournaments, or there are lots of bid tournaments in that area -> it's easier for them to travel to get experience at high quality tournaments. It's a chicken and egg debate, but it's definitely not a coincidence.

It's no coincidence. Even the richest debate teams can't go to every tournament, and naturally a school like, say, New Trier is likely to go to New Trier, Maine East, the Glenbrooks...

First of all, congratulations to the teams that broke, and congratulations to all the teams that qualified to debate.

Out of curiosity, how many states are represented by schools that debated at the TOC this year?

Tournament of Champions—CX

University of Kentucky

May 2-4, 2009

The following judges should be available for the octafinal round tomorrow morning. A number of standby judges are on this list, but should wait until all of the octafinal debates actually begin before leaving in case you are needed. Call Aaron Kall at 734-239-3996 if there are any problems.

Abelkop, Garrett

Batterman, Bill

Berthiaume, Maggie

Bowen, Kathy

Bricker, Brett

Chestnut, Noah

Cholera, Kuntal

Clark, Kathryn

Corrigan, Abe

Culpepper, Brent

emerson, eric

Fisher, Matt

Gonzalez, Josh

Greenstein, Mike

Hamraie, Aimi

Harrigan, Casey

Heidt, David

Heidt, Jenny

Lingel, Dan

Matheson, Calum

Moczulski, Leah

Murillo, Gabe

Oddo, Eric

Paul, Jonathan

Peterson, Brian

Polin, Jacob

Repko, Wil

Rubaie, Brian

Sears, Will

Smith, Ross

Stahl, Greta

Symonds, Adam

Turner, John

Warden, John

I'll take the time here to say...

NEW YORK SON!!

Congrats to NFA's Neil and Anuj for making it to TOCs this year even with the bad luck at Emory and Mich, plus the slacked budget we had.

And congrats to Bronx and Lexington for keepin the region strong in out rounds!

Either the high quality of debate teams in those areas -> they're able to host lots of bid tournaments, or there are lots of bid tournaments in that area -> it's easier for them to travel to get experience at high quality tournaments. It's a chicken and egg debate, but it's definitely not a coincidence.

Yes they have a majority but I still don't think that explains them in breaks. Correlation doesn't = causation. I think the better answer would be that there's a lot of local competition which is what helped spur them getting TOC tournaments, it probably helps that they can participate in so many but it doesn't make them the best debaters.

Does anyone know who's aff and neg?

Also, what the aff was and 1nc?

Does anybody know who is what seed besides Westminister (like who's second, third, etc)?

Thanks

Colleyville, Pace, GBS, and Damien (6-1) are seeds 2-5

No bracket is out so we can't determine where everyone is (except winner of New Trier/Milton will debate the top seed), all we know is that those four teams comprise the 2-5 seeds

First of all, congratulations to the teams that broke, and congratulations to all the teams that qualified to debate.

Out of curiosity, how many states are represented by schools that debated at the TOC this year?

It seems that there were 19 states accounted for...

Alphabetical Order:

Alabama             *
Arizona             *
California          ************
Florida             ***
Georgia             ********
Illinois            *******
Iowa                *
Massachusetts       **
Minnesota           ***
Nebraska            *
New Hampshire       **
New York            ***
Oklahoma            *
Tennessee           *
Texas               *********
Utah                ***
Washington          **
Washington DC       **
Wisconsin           ***

Sorted:

12   California          ************
10   Texas               *********
8    Georgia             ********
7    Illinois            *******
3    Florida             ***
3    Minnesota           ***
3    New York            ***
3    Utah                ***
3    Wisconsin           ***
2    Massachusetts       **
2    New Hampshire       **
2    Washington          **
2    Washington DC       **
1    Alabama             *
1    Arizona             *
1    Iowa                *
1    Nebraska            *
1    Oklahoma            *
1    Oregon              *
1    Tennessee           *

• Downvote 1

Yes they have a majority but I still don't think that explains them in breaks. Correlation doesn't = causation. I think the better answer would be that there's a lot of local competition which is what helped spur them getting TOC tournaments, it probably helps that they can participate in so many but it doesn't make them the best debaters.

It's a feedback loop. Good competition yields ToC tournaments, ToC tournaments yield good competition.

I could be wrong but just by glancing over those state by state stats, it looks like the most solid program is in Georgia. I didn't bother to do all the math but it seems fairly obvious that Georgia has the most TOC teams for its population as well as land mass, which I think it would be safe to say means it also has the most competitive local circuit.

I think it's also relevant to look at which cities are most represented-certain cities foster lots of debate schools (Dallas, Chicago/North Shore area, Atlanta, etc) more than just the state as a whole being debate-friendly. I haven't really looked at which cities are represented though.