jmiller

2009 Tournament of Champions

Long decisions happen every year. Remember, this is the final round of the TOC. A 2 minute decision would be irresponsible judging.

All you little minions need to chill out. The results will come and people will post explanations of args etc. For christ sake- its a debate tournament YOUR not even participating in. Just relax and let the info flow. Why do you need to know at 12 at night versus 1230?

Congrats to all the people at the TOC - Shout out to Ft Laudy and Edgemont- I enjoyed watching both of you debate immensely.

Fort Lauderdale in particular- small squad, little coaching- yall still balled. Qualled two years in a row to boot.

Who is this even directed at? Most people are just posting comments about what they feel about the final round, its not like there's a flood of posts going "OMG RESULTS NOW PLEASE".

I agree that everyone at the TOC definitely deserves hardy congratulations, especially Bellarmine and Westminster for making it to and participating in what must have been a really good final round.

for some reason, i do not trust his gunit post.

Yeah, I don't trust it either -- especially because they're still waiting on one ballot.

Yeah, I don't trust it either -- especially because they're still waiting on one ballot.

Yeah according to Layne WM won, according to this gunit guy Bellarmine won, and according to a bunch of others we are still waiting on Kuntal's ballot. No clue

from the twitter, WM on a 2-1

I gotta say I loved the twitter, both for NDT and TOC

Twitter recently reported that Kuntal still is deciding.

DONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

WESTMINSTER WON

CONFIRMED BY FLESHLIGHT

Special congrats to Westminster SJ (or JS, depends on their preference) for winning the 2009 TOC

As well as NDCAs, if I remember right. They've certainly dominated post-season tournaments. Have we confirmed that they dropped two ballots the entire tournament?

EDIT: Sorry, Damien won NDCAs.

Edited by Bonavex
  • Downvote 1

Long decisions happen every year. Remember, this is the final round of the TOC. A 2 minute decision would be irresponsible judging.

I disagree and this mindset is something which sort of bugs me. It wouldn't be any more irresponsible to decide finals of the TOC in 2 minutes than it would be to decide the same debate in 2 minutes had it occurred in a prelim round at a local tournament. The importance of the round shouldn't change the manner in which it is judged, its just more probable that a round of such high quality that it requires a long decision occurs in the TOC finals. But if it wasn't a close debate, it would be irresponsible to sit there for an hour and waste everyone's time just because it's finals of the TOC.

edit: Congratulations to Westminster and Bellarmine and everyone else who competed at the TOC this year. It was a great and extremely talented group of debaters that were a pleasure to watch all year.

Edited by The Spork
  • Downvote 2

I disagree and this mindset is something which sort of bugs me. It wouldn't be any more irresponsible to decide finals of the TOC in 2 minutes than it would be to decide the same debate in 2 minutes had it occurred in a prelim round at a local tournament. The importance of the round shouldn't change the manner in which it is judged, its just more probable that a round of such high quality that it requires a long decision occurs in the TOC finals. But if it wasn't a close debate, it would be irresponsible to sit there for an hour and waste everyone's time just because it's finals of the TOC.

I think his point is that you probably aren't going to see a round that's easy to judge in the TOC finals, and therefore you should expect pretty lengthy decision times, that's all

• Upvote 1

I think his point is that you probably aren't going to see a round that's easy to judge in the TOC finals, and therefore you should expect pretty lengthy decision times, that's all

Fair enough, but I think there is a mindset that some people have that they need to judge differently because it's the TOC, and I think that point of view is flawed. Not a big deal, but worth noting.

All you little minions need to chill out. The results will come and people will post explanations of args etc. For christ sake- its a debate tournament YOUR not even participating in. Just relax and let the info flow. Why do you need to know at 12 at night versus 1230?

Congrats to all the people at the TOC - Shout out to Ft Laudy and Edgemont- I enjoyed watching both of you debate immensely.

Fort Lauderdale in particular- small squad, little coaching- yall still balled. Qualled two years in a row to boot.

Also, shoutout to the ft laudy jr's they are a force to be reckon with!

• Upvote 1