kerpen

Restoring Tax Balance in Kansas

Shawnee Mission North has the highest per capita population of "special" students, and yet we still can seem to blow money fast enough. Why should I have to spend $40,000 a year to have 2 paras blow bubbles at a retarded 9th year senior? Why do we even have these retards in our schools? Alls they do is suck up the money and not learn anything. Kick out the retards, and that'll solve any of your 'minor' school funding problems right there.

From the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (HR 1350), revised 2004:

Disability is a natural part of the human experience

and in no way diminishes the right of individuals to participate

in or contribute to society. Improving educational results for

children with disabilities is an essential element of our national

policy of ensuring equality of opportunity, full participation,

independent living, and economic self-sufficiency for individuals

with disabilities.

(p. 2-3)

And from Pennsylvania Assn. for Retarded Children v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (1974):

Expert testimony in this action indicates that all mentally retarded persons are capable of benefiting from a program of education and training; that the greatest number of retarded persons, given such education and training, are capable of achieving self‑sufficiency, and the remaining few, with such education and training, are capable of achieving some degree of self‑ care; that the earlier such education and training begins, the more thoroughly and the more efficiently a mentally retarded person will benefit from it; and, whether begun early or not, that a mentally retarded person can benefit at any point in his life and development from a program of education and training.

It is the Commonwealth's obligation to place each mentally retarded child in a free, public program of education and training appropriate to the child's capacity, within the context of a presumption that, among the alternative programs of education and training required by statute to be available, placement in a regular public school class is preferable to placement in a special public school class and placement in a special public school class is preferable to placement in any other type of program of education and training.

I'll give you a hint... if you're trying to prove to Kansas that Johnson County is the bestest and everywhere else could be like Johnson County if they just cared enough and loved their children enough, then you shouldn't start by saying "and by the way, let's throw out the retards."

Here's the deal. If you think following the law in America and upholding basic human dignity is horrible, please leave.

Less unthinking neo-cons in Kansas = higher quality education for all Kansans

I'd like to start out with an apology. Not to any of the board members, but to people living in poverty, and the mentally retarded.

About 8 months ago my friends in debate talked about what nerds you guys were on this forum. I couldn't believe my eyes when I started reading this. I thought it would be fun (and it was) to stir up the hornet's nest. Seeing as how most of you are leftists, I couldn't imagine anything more unberable than an uber-conservative jerk posting. I couldn't have been more right, it was funny as hell to see you nerds get your panties in bunch.

Truth is I'm a moderate. I belong to both the NRA and Democratic Party. I didn't vote for President Bush, but I don't hate him. It was hard for me at first to write most of what I did, but I just couldn't resist. I like Johnson County, but I also think that Johnson County would do better if poverty was reduced in other areas of the state. I have left Johnson County before too... I've travelled to Paris, London, and Maui many times.

And Skoglund, have you ever tried to read one of your sentences out loud in one breath before? Or touched a booby? Me thinks not.

• Downvote 1

Here's the deal. If you think following the law in America and upholding basic human dignity is horrible, please leave.

Not saying I agree with one point of view or another, here, but rather showing my disdain for phrases such as this one. If you believe [insert something here about America] then change America, don't leave. Leaving America will get nothing done, and telling people to leave the United States of America becuase they hold a certain point of view (no matter how extreme it may seem to you) is asking for a diametrically opposed ideology to the foundation of the USA: the melting pot.

The "love it or leave it" school of thought is absolutely unwarranted and, quite simply, close-minded.

In which case let it be a reply to "Mike_Degginger."

The post was not an attack versus any individual, but rather a phrase.

In this case, I do not believe irony 'solves'.

I dont think this guy has even been out of Johnson County, and probably gets spoon feeded from his parents about how people are poor because they are too dumb and lazy to get jobs.

Most Johnson County citizens are pretty moderate, but I can look at the brightside of this insightful post to find that Greenwald potientially has a chance to get a new friend (follower).

Ahahahahahahhaha, you're kidding right? Wasn't Mark the kid who made the big deal and care about events halfway around the world concerning Darfur? Wasn't he the guy who tried to start up donation drives? Wasn't he the guy who's doing something right now, while many of us are doing absolutely nothing? If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then well, you're wrong.

Ahahahahahahhaha, you're kidding right? Wasn't Mark the kid who made the big deal and care about events halfway around the world concerning Darfur? Wasn't he the guy who tried to start up donation drives? Wasn't he the guy who's doing something right now, while many of us are doing absolutely nothing? If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then well, you're wrong.

Because Mark Skoglund's really representative of all of the citizens of Johnson County, that's for sure.

Because Mark Skoglund's really representative of all of the citizens of Johnson County, that's for sure.

No he isn't, but I was merely stating that he's not that bad of a person.

Touche Mark, didn't realize how many effed up sentences I write myself! And kudos on all of your charity work. But it's still hard for me to invision Mr Rogers saying, "You ignorant, egocentric, intolerant, sheltered piece of shit."

Also, you guys seem to forget that I don't have an extreme right wing mindset. I don't believe in the 'love it or leave it' motto. My parents are liberals. Just wanted to remind everyone of that.

Also, part of my original post was 'edited' as a joke by my roomate. I have since corrected it.

congratulations to Phil Kerpen on sticking with the Club for Growth while it blundered into the rocks, broke apart, and sank.

Edit: congratulations to Phil Kerpen on sticking with the Free Enterprise Fund while it blundered into the rocks, broke apart, and sank.

counterplan: ban capitalism

A better alternative to capitalism is to open a t-shirt store on cafe press and sell nothing.

You actually espoused the "love it or leave" ideology in your first post on this thread.

JoCo doesn't pay higher property taxes when you acknowledge the disparity of income. They may pay 40% of their incomes to property taxes, and Sedgwick Co may only 32%, but the per capita income of JoCo is $70,000 more than Sedgwick - the relative burden put on to the tax payers is lost.

The current tax system in the U.S. is regressive.

Oh, and ...

The Average Income in JoCo is $44,308 - ranking them in the top 2% of the wealthiest counties in America. Median income is $63,378.

The Median income in Sedgwick County, KS (Wichita, Newton, etc.) is $43,398. Which significantly lowers the average income well below $25,000.

Sedgwick County's relative wealth is high as well, but even still - comparing what happens with Johnson County, you are in another league.

This shit is from the U.S. Census Bureau, meh.