taytortot

Rocky Mountain South District

All coaches have received confirmed information, so I can answer that question now.

Numbers of qualifiers and entries are "locked in." The number of qualifiers will be based on who started the tournament today. We realize that next Friday's round 2 most probably will be smaller in every event than round 1 was today. However, NFL told us that if we don't start the tournament over again (which would allow folks who couldn't make it today to get in "on the ground floor"), we can keep our numbers.

Thus, we will be qualifying 2 in every event. I don't know if we had enough in LD -- that might be 3 (I never heard a final count).

Jacob and I are not able to make it next weekend (we will both be out of town), so the round this morning was our last. I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone that I have had the pleasure of knowing through debate these past three years. All the judges, coaches, and wonderful friends/competitors make this activity what it is, and I would not have stayed involved in debate had it not been for the people I met along the way. Thanks everyone for a fantastic year--I had a great time with you all, especially because the debate community in Colorado has grown closer this past year. I especially want to thank my partner in crime, Jacob--it's been an honor debating with you and I am sorry that we couldn't have had just a few more rounds together. Good luck to everyone competing next weekend. To those that qualify, I know you will represent Colorado well.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

i <3 Taylor and Jacob. It has been fun guys and i am so sorry to hear about next weekend that really blows. cograts on such great successes this year.

Not everything is a done deal yet. The coaches are discussing a possible alternative. I'll wait until a new decision is reached before I post the alternative.

The coaches are really trying to do what is best for all kids and all schools.

As for the question about Congress, it's hard to know who can or can't make it. We looked it up yesterday. The Senate will qualify 2 students if there are 8 schools competing. The House qualifies based on number of kids competing. We normally qualify 3 Representatives -- it is possible that we could drop to 2, depending on who attends.

Again -- there is a possible alternative solution in the works, so stand by and don't make lots of plans yet.

And if anyone is having second thoughts about whether we should have called the tournament, I just looked up the weather. While Denver received only 9 inches of snow on Friday, Golden received 2 feet. I-70 was closed at Golden. It is expected to continue snowing in Golden today. With freezing temperatures overnight, I shudder to think what the roads are like. I realize most of you know this, but I need to reassure myself that we made the right decision -- it would have been terrible if this had been one of those storms that looked bad and then lost its teeth.

Edited by tpeters

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Jacob and Taylor!!!!

I know previous success should not really factor in to the whole reschedule of a tournament, but it is really a shame that the state finalist team will not be represented at nationals. If anything could be done to allow them to compete, although how absurd it may sound, would, I think, be the most just course of action.

You guys are amazing no matter what. <3 <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Steve

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The coaches have discussed, argued and voted. Here is the new schedule.

Congress: as planned this Friday and Saturday, April 24-25, as planned at the Denver City and County Building.

Tournament: Friday, May 1 and Saturday, May 2 at Golden H. S. (unless another site becomes available for the entire day Friday). We'll be able to start first round 3-3:30.

As one of the coaches, I know that this decision helps some students and hurts other students. I know I have students who could have attended this weekend but won't be able to make it May 1-2. It was a difficult decision and my heart goes out to you for whom it doesn't work.

How many students is everyone planning on taking? GW is taking 13 and East should bring at least 6...

We need a certain number to have 3 house spots again

thanks

At this point, we have 62 representatives pre-registered. 60 is the "magic" number for 3 qualifiers for the House. We need everyone to show up and then give at least 1 speech in order to maintain all 3 qualifiers.

Golden will be bringing 8 total: 2 in Senate and 6 in House.

Congratulations to the 5 National Qualifiers in Student Congress from the Rocky Mountain South District. They are:

• Ryan Boyd from GW (Senate)
  • Ben Reed from Green Mountain (Senate)
  • Theodore Naff from Bear Creek (House)
  • Trevor Marsden from Lakewood (House)
  • James Mackey from Lakewood (House)

Good news--Jacob and I will be able to go with the changed date! I hope we'll see everyone there, and that the new date hasn't affected anyone in the opposite way.

EDIT: It looks like I spoke too soon. Unfortunately, we will not be able to go after all.

Edited by taytortot
  • Upvote 1

CX is currently in the final round. Students would update you but they are all debating right now.

Tomorrow, after everything is official, I will post all the results.

RESULTS!

First Qualifier - Taylor Want and Jacob Zax, East High School

Second Qualifier - Sam Clark and Miles Owens, George Washington High School

First Alternate - Matt Symonds and Christina Criswell, George Washington High School

I don't know how things broke down beyond that. I DO want to thank Lowell Sharp and Tammie Peters for running a great tournament and all the judges who came out for making this possible. GW CO will be consortiuming for NFLs.

Congrats Taylor, Jacob! Real glad you guys ended up competing after changing your minds a dozen times.

And congrats to Sam and Miles! I can't believe it was only last year I watched you guys compete during novice season.

• Upvote 1

Here are the rest of the National Qualifiers (since we all know CX isn't everything ;))

Drama: Sophie Gideon from Denver East

Jessa Nagamoto from Regis Jesuit

Humor: Hannah Carrothers from Denver East

Alexandria Lee-Natali from Denver East

US Extemp: Liz Engle from Regis Jesuit

Jenny Koch from Summit

International Extemp: Michael Homiak from George Washington

David Mod-Iamme from Palisade

Daniel Russell from George Washington

Duo: Noah Kaplan/Ali Haas from Denver East

Libby Howards/Harris Alterman from Denver East

Oratory: Suzette Turner from Denver East

Elizabeth Cheever from Denver East

LD: Amy Kreienkamp from Lakewood

Alexander Fan from Lakewood

PF: Gabe Neslin/Lawson Williams from George Washington

Tierney Brown and Cody Mortell from Lakewood

Traveling Trophy: 1st Pomona, 2nd Golden

Plaque: 1st Lakewood, 2nd George Washington

• Upvote 2

International Extemp: Michael Homiak from George Washington

David Mod-Iamme from Palisade

Daniel Russell from George Washington

Eh?

You clearly haven't been reading these boards recently.

There are about 2 threads since 2007 that reference Palisade.

You clearly haven't been reading these boards recently.

Also, Anant posting... eh?

I read the forums a lot. I just don't care to post as much.