taytortot

Rocky Mountain South District

I really hope this turns out positive for you guys =( And it's true, the reason we got two qualifiers was because the roads were bad. So why wouldn't it work the other way around?

Agreed. What has happened to Worland is so unfair, and was out of their hands. Why should the Worland debaters suffer and miss any chance at nats because of something they had no control over? This is so unfair, and I hope it gets resolved in Worland's favor.

• Upvote 1

CX was allowed the second qualifier because of the NFL Quota System Bonus that's published here: http://www.nflonline.org/DistrictInformation/IndividualQuotaSystemBonus

The Wind River District qualifies as Level 2, which means that all events are allowed to qualify 2 entries, regardless of the entry table in the manual - so none of the rules were bent.

I'd characterize the NFL as a lot of things but rule-benders isn't one of them. When it comes to their Set of Rules and endless manuals and directives and such, these guys are as inflexible as they come.

Edited by jament
Clarification

CX was allowed the second qualifier because of the NFL Quota System Bonus that's published here: http://www.nflonline.org/DistrictInformation/IndividualQuotaSystemBonus

The Wind River District qualifies as Level 2, which means that all events are allowed to qualify 2 entries, regardless of the entry table in the manual - so none of the rules were bent.

I'd characterize the NFL as a lot of things but rule-benders isn't one of them. When it comes to their Set of Rules and endless manuals and directives and such, these guys are as inflexible as they come.

You would automatically be able to qualify 2 teams if you were catagorized as level 2 this is completely true. But what isn't true is that wind river district is a level 2. Next year we will fall under this but this year we will not. The National Office gave them an exemption because there was a Blizzard.

• Downvote 1

I assume everyone has heard by now, but the decision came down to not allow Worland to compete. The official reason was that it would set a precedent and then the other seven Wyoming schools that were snowed out of their national qualifiers would come rushing down to Colorado and overburden the RMS district.

I'd like to point out that between all seven of those schools, there is probably a grand total of five CX teams. We're talking about places like Shoshoni (population 500). Not a single other school even had plans to go to Colorado, and if they did decide to, the "burden" could have been split between the North and South districts.

The decision seemed pretty capricious to me. But oh well. We emptied the expandos today. The bonfire is this weekend. RIP junior year.

• Downvote 1

Just to clarify:

1) Other schools did indeed contact the Rocky Mountain South District. I do not know if any schools contacted Rocky Mountain North.

2) The National Qualifying Tournament is not just about CX debate -- I believe the decision was made in light of all the possible entries all the schools could have brought.

EDIT: I just wanted to share the rep I received for clarifying the background of this decision:

"NFL was founded on CX not anything else!!!! get the giant stick out of your indignant ass!!!!"

You may choose to believe this but you would be mistaken. The first National Tournament back in the 1920s offered debate (CX), original oratory, extemp, drama, humor and oratorical declamation. Regardless, when considering the addition of 7-8 schools, we would have to consider the entries they would be bringing in CX, LD, PF, OO, Humor, Drama, Nat Ext, Int Ext, and Duo. As the coach of the host school, I know I would have problems finding rooms for 7 more schools competing in this many events. I believe, for instance, Worland was interested in bringing CX AND Foreign Extemp AND National Extemp.

Edited by tpeters
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

When will it be possible to see the roster for all the teams competing in cx?

Im guessing it will be GW:4 East:4 Bearcreek:1 and Standley 1. I wonder if we can get it even more specific to the names of the teams?

When will it be possible to see the roster for all the teams competing in cx?

Im guessing it will be GW:4 East:4 Bearcreek:1 and Standley 1. I wonder if we can get it even more specific to the names of the teams?

And Golden 1: Lack and Chapman.

I believe entries are due this Friday.

I assume everyone has heard by now, but the decision came down to not allow Worland to compete. The official reason was that it would set a precedent and then the other seven Wyoming schools that were snowed out of their national qualifiers would come rushing down to Colorado and overburden the RMS district.

I'd like to point out that between all seven of those schools, there is probably a grand total of five CX teams. We're talking about places like Shoshoni (population 500). Not a single other school even had plans to go to Colorado, and if they did decide to, the "burden" could have been split between the North and South districts.

The decision seemed pretty capricious to me. But oh well. We emptied the expandos today. The bonfire is this weekend. RIP junior year.

Props to you kid i do belive that you are doing a good job in debate in the worland area, i hope that everything goes better for you next year and tell that partner of yours congrats from me as well, if you need any help just hit me up.

Just to clarify:

1) Other schools did indeed contact the Rocky Mountain South District. I do not know if any schools contacted Rocky Mountain North.

2) The National Qualifying Tournament is not just about CX debate -- I believe the decision was made in light of all the possible entries all the schools could have brought.

EDIT: I just wanted to share the rep I received for clarifying the background of this decision:

"NFL was founded on CX not anything else!!!! get the giant stick out of your indignant ass!!!!"

You may choose to believe this but you would be mistaken. The first National Tournament back in the 1920s offered debate (CX), original oratory, extemp, drama, humor and oratorical declamation. Regardless, when considering the addition of 7-8 schools, we would have to consider the entries they would be bringing in CX, LD, PF, OO, Humor, Drama, Nat Ext, Int Ext, and Duo. As the coach of the host school, I know I would have problems finding rooms for 7 more schools competing in this many events. I believe, for instance, Worland was interested in bringing CX AND Foreign Extemp AND National Extemp.

Truth: it was not just founded on c-x.

This is what i have a problem with, if you genuinley belive that seven wyoming school would have over burdend a tourny you really need to re-think all that you know about tournys. First off i would say that if each sepreate team brought two judges your judging pool is taken care of and secondly i dont think that everyone is stupid in colorado and cant mange the extra bit of tabbing it would require. All in all it was bull shit what happened. Just to clairify

• Downvote 1

Truth: it was not just founded on c-x.

This is what i have a problem with, if you genuinley belive that seven wyoming school would have over burdend a tourny you really need to re-think all that you know about tournys. First off i would say that if each sepreate team brought two judges your judging pool is taken care of and secondly i dont think that everyone is stupid in colorado and cant mange the extra bit of tabbing it would require. All in all it was bull shit what happened. Just to clairify

First, this post was a bit beyond presumptuous. I know Ms. Peters by reputation only, but that reputation as a capable coach, organizer, and advocate for all of forensics is sterling to say the least. I assure you that the indication that somehow she doesn't understand the issue is both unduly disrespectful and out rightly incorrect.

Second, two judges per team really would does not cover the requirements considering the number of rounds that are paneled at quals. Furthermore, the presence of even 15-20 additional interpers (an extremely conservative estimate) would require in the area of 7-10 additional judges in the pool. This is not even looking at cross-x. And this is all assuming that those 7 schools would have mustered two judges each, and the total number of interpers added to the pool was less than ~30, and none of this is the presumably the case.

Finally, the NFL made the decision, so I believe the indignation is directed at the wrong person. Again, over my time in the community, I never saw Ms. Peters behave as anything but a valuable ambassador and I think the nature of the post was wholly inappropriate.

Come on Daniel, I thought I raised you better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Since I am not on the District Committee, I know only part of the story. I did not receive the communications from the National Office nor was I involved in the discussions.

John, I appreciate your support. Thank you.

When adding 7-8 schools to an NFL District tournament, there are lots and lots of things to take into consideration. I only know a tiny piece of the puzzle, namely what the building can accommodate. I believe there was some frustration expressed about the possibility of Wyoming students "taking away" qualifying positions from Colorado students, a sentiment expressed by some students in this forum. Other issues had to be considered as well. Mr. Scott Wunn, I believe, made the recommendation that the RMS NFL District Committee supported. If you have problems with the decision, I would highly recommend that you email or call Mr. Wunn. He is a fairly accessible person. He can let you know the full logic behind the decision.

I realize that emotions are running high for many of the individuals from those 8 Wyoming schools. It was a terrible situation -- weather difficulties are nobody's fault and everybody's problem. I realize that for some students at those 8 schools, this was their last chance to qualify for Nationals. My heart goes out to you and them.

• Upvote 1

Just wanted to quickly chime in to say I agree with Brane_Kandy (sorry, I don't know your real name or anything).

Irrespective of whether the decision made by the NFL was a good one (a judgment I cannot make without more information), I think anyone lashing out at Peters either on the forum explicitly or via rep needs to back up, especially since she was just merely offering to clarify how the decision was made. But even assuming that she had been privy to the discussions, I'm pretty sure that the responses given are not the optimal way to go about discussing the matter.

Sheesh, you high schoolers get worse every day.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just wanted to quickly chime in to say I agree with Brane_Kandy (sorry, I don't know your real name or anything).

Irrespective of whether the decision made by the NFL was a good one (a judgment I cannot make without more information), I think anyone lashing out at Peters either on the forum explicitly or via rep needs to back up, especially since she was just merely offering to clarify how the decision was made. But even assuming that she had been privy to the discussions, I'm pretty sure that the responses given are not the optimal way to go about discussing the matter.

Sheesh, you high schoolers get worse every day.

Go fist yourself

And Mr. Ryan, i wasent lashing out at her at all, as well as you i hear good things about her, all that i was trying to point out is that i dont think that it would have been an "over-burden" to the district, p.s. how is chicago doin ya?

• Downvote 2

Update: A few non-district schools will be joining us because of the mountain blizzard that stopped some Western Slope schools from being able to compete at Colorado Grande. I believe the only CX school is Aspen; they'll have one team.

Edited by TheGreatInstigator
  • Downvote 1

"Update: though Worland won't be able to compete (sorry, kids), a couple non-district schools will be joining us because of the mountain blizzard that stopped some Western Slope schools from being able to compete at Colorado Grande. I believe the only CX school is Aspen; they'll have one team."

Do you know if they were able to get in, or is it still a rumor?

Edit: We just heard from the coach at Palisade that they are going to be allowed to compete at Rocky Mountain South next weekend. If Palisade is allowed I am sure that Aspen and Grand Junction would be allowed as well. Aspen is the only one of these schools that has a CX team.

Edited by cluce

In case you look here before attending the tournament today, the tournament is on. The only reason we would have rescheduled would have been because Jefferson County schools had closed. Jeffco did not close. The tournament is on as originally scheduled.

It would seem that the Mother Nature is not cooperating this spring.

Around 1:00pm today, we had to "call" the National Qualifyng Tournament because of snow. It was a heart-wrenching decision because any other time to which the tournament might be moved would mean some kids would be left out -- other commitments would prevent participation on other days. However, since Jefferson County was closing down other schools in our area and the weather folks were predicting 3 feet of snow in Golden by noon on Saturday, we had no other choice than to reschedule.

After much discussion, it was decided that

1. Preliminary sessions of Student Congress will be Wednesday afternoon, April 23, at Golden
  2. Super Session (and Session 3 of Senate) will be Thursday afternoon, April 24, at Golden
  3. The tournament will reconvene Friday afternoon, April 25, at Golden. We will start all events at Round 2. We will finish the tournament on Saturday next week.

Weather problems really suck. In this region, we've already seen both Wyoming districts have difficulty with snow, as well as the Colorado Grande District. Lots of kids are being impacted by "springtime in the Rockies."

I will post more information about specific schedules as it becomes available. We will be looking for judges again, so please mark next Friday and Saturday on your calendars.

Edit: a new solution is being discussed. Stand by for further details. I'll post things when they have been decided and I have a "go-ahead" from the District Committee.

Edited by tpeters

Ms. Peters,

I've heard answers to this question but wanted to verify them with you: if CX had enough competitors to qualify two teams today but teams drop out before next weekend, will the district send one or two teams to Birmingham?