Sign in to follow this  
Chunkry

Politics Disads?

I plan on debating in the fall and i have people telling me what things are, but i don't understand everything.

What's the difference between politics and regular da's? They seem strange.

• Upvote 2

A politics DA is a position that the affirmative plan will result in an unfavorable political shift. Usually, it looks like "plan stops X from being policy. X is needed to stop global armageddon."

• Downvote 1

I plan on debating in the fall and i have people telling me what things are, but i don't understand everything.

What's the difference between politics and regular da's? They seem strange.

Usually, politics Disads work through links from either bipartisanship or political capital. The argument is that some policy will pass, thats the uniqueness, and that either political capital or bipartisanship is key, and the link is that the plan will trade off with either PC or bipartisanship, meaning that the policy won't pass, causing X impact.

A politics DA is a position that the affirmative plan will result in an unfavorable political shift. Usually, it looks like "plan stops X from being policy. X is needed to stop global armageddon."

or X won't become policy, plan provides the political push in whatever form to make it happen, X policy is super bad

There really isnt any difference between politics and "regular DAs". You still have to win uniquness, link, internal link and an impact to win the round. The reason why people usually characterize it in its own category is becuase

1. it can be categorized

2. uniquness debate is much heavier when it comes to politics - generally on "regular DAs" uniquness question isnt a big problem

one thing that you have to be careful about politics is that most of the time all of your cards have to be from like the day before otherwise it wont work, whereas in regular da's you can use cards from like a few months previous.

• Downvote 1

one thing that you have to be careful about politics is that most of the time all of your cards have to be from like the day before otherwise it wont work, whereas in regular da's you can use cards from like a few months previous.

Only cards that have to be recent are the Uniqueness cards and possibly internal links, links and impacts dont generally have to be recent.

Only cards that have to be recent are the Uniqueness cards and possibly internal links, links and impacts dont generally have to be recent.

Not necessairly. Your internal should be relatively new. As a matter of fact, your link story and internal link should be your starting point for cutting a DA. You need to find cards saying why X is key to passage or stopping of Y. Those cards need to be relatively new as well. Besides, there is a misconception that if your card is a day or so newer, you win the uniquness debate. Your cards have to have some sort of warrants that makes your argument better than theirs. For example, if their evidence is from january and yours is from march - your analysis shouldnt be limited to saying that "our cards are recent, hence we win" - it should say something like "their evidence doesnt assume the passage of stimulus - that is why we win the uniqueness debate."