patriotsdebate

Best in Idaho

oh and a new rule next year is that a public school team may only compete in one out of state tournament which means we have no chance of a toc bid

i think thats the policy and if its not its that we can only compete in one toc bid tournament

There's no state rule about number of out of state tournaments. While there may be regulations by individual school districts within Idaho, the IDC says nothing about out of state vs in state. For instance, my school district only allows 2 out of state tournaments (in the past).

we can leave the valley once a year and the state every two years..

Is this a school district rule? In any case, it's terrible...

if a team in idaho were to travel witha team from a different state. like if they ahd a friend in one of the more active sates like cali. texas, georgia...would there code permit them to go travel with that school if that school were ti supervise/ help with costs some way? would that be a way around the one a year rule?

The problem with this possible solution is that the IDC has a rule that if one debater or policy team enters a tournament, be it out of state or in state, or if they enter independently, it still counts as one of the students' school's 10 tournaments, making it quite impossible to travel the national circuit.

Oh my god. Is this rule seriously true? God why dont they just chop our nuts off at tie us to their beds? 10 tourneys only, 1 out of state, plus all of the other idaho bullshit we have. This is getting beyond ridiculous guys. Is there a way we can put together some kind of petition to get some of this changed? I mean come on, almost every debater in the state hates the idc so i know we could get at least 3/4 of debaters to sign it even if its an email one.

Short answer: there is nothing we can do. My freshman year, I had a "brilliant" idea to petition the IDC rule about timing roadmaps. However, the process of adding and repealing rules has been so manipulated that it's a 4 year process. The framers of the IDC only meet once a year to check these kinds of issues...so nothing will ever get done while any of us our debating.

However, we can try and do something to help the future debaters of our shitty state.

Jessica's claim is only for her school. We go to out of state tournaments every year. In fact we are going to 2 next year and we went to 2 this year. Idaho Debate Blows.

oh and a new rule next year is that a public school team may only compete in one out of state tournament which means we have no chance of a toc bid :( sad day...

i think thats the policy and if its not its that we can only compete in one toc bid tournament

i dont think this is true. centennial has 3 maybe 4 lined up for next year.

Jessica's claim is only for her school. We go to out of state tournaments every year. In fact we are going to 2 next year and we went to 2 this year. Idaho Debate Blows.

we actually went to 3. you only went to 2.

so im slightly confused, does this 10 tournament rule mean you can only go to 10 then idaho state?

if so why is idaho state so important? it seems a lot of people were pissed off with state from what i see in the other thread.

Idaho seems to have a commited policy debate community...if there is anything i can do to help write here or PM me

i think idaho has teams that should be on the national circuit and not spending their time bitching about how bad idaho is

we should try and find a way to get idaho debater who dont care about state to go to national tournaments and represnt idaho to give it a better rep and maybe have some influence in changing this dumb 10 tournament rule

also what is the financial situation like for the big idaho schools who could do well on the nationalo circuit?

so im slightly confused, does this 10 tournament rule mean you can only go to 10 then idaho state?

if so why is idaho state so important? it seems a lot of people were pissed off with state from what i see in the other thread.

also what is the financial situation like for the big idaho schools who could do well on the nationalo circuit?

You can only go to 10 invitational tournaments during the year, not including districts, if you want to compete at state.

The problem is, we all get very pissed off over state, but there's not a coach in Idaho who would allow a team to travel the circuit and bypass state.

The financial situation is pretty dire for Idaho schools in general, but to travel in state, my school pays for just about everything minus hotel fees. However, if we were to leave the state, we have to pay our own way.

The bottom line is that no adults involved in Idaho debate see a justification for leaving the state, because that would mean bringing nat. circuit-style debate to Idaho

there has to be some sort of way...why do the coaches not like nat circuit style debate?

maybe an idaho school could host a semi big tournament generate income for the programs and bring attention to it.

Is there no incentive for coaches to let their teams do well and bring some publicity back to the school?

there has to be some sort of way...why do the coaches not like nat circuit style debate?

maybe an idaho school could host a semi big tournament generate income for the programs and bring attention to it.

Is there no incentive for coaches to let their teams do well and bring some publicity back to the school?

Coaches in Idaho, by and large, believe that nat circuit style debate is bad because it doesn't teach real "communication" skills. Many coaches have done away with policy altogether because they don't believe in what it teaches, and now put all their stock in PF.

No school will hold a tournament that will attract that kind of debaters, as they refuse to judge rounds with any sort of real debate value. The coaches believe policy should be presented at an oratory-like speed, with less emphasis on evidence and technical skill.

More times than not, when one loses a ballot in Idaho, it's because of an RFD like "I don't really like disads..." or "the neg dropped their topicality argument in the rebuttals" or "inherency wasn't covered by the neg, so they lose"

it seems idaho has legit teams....i think the outside idaho community shoulr write a letter of some sort asking for a lift on this 10 tournament thing. As well as help idaho schools to get to big tournaments...hell there could be TOC champs hiding in idaho

?

Have fun trying to justify you're program's existence to the school board if you don't go to the state tournament.

You also need to realize that a lot of public schools inability to travel on the national circuit has more to do with the economy/other activities than it does with how they feel about national circuit debate in general. While it may be true that coaches in the area don't like national circuit debate, its more the school administrator's that you're problems lie with than the coaches in the region.

A lot of the rules about traveling out of state have to do with the fact that if they were to allow/provide funds for the debate program to go out of state, then they have to do things for every other activities. (At least thats the case in Washington).

The economy and school budget cuts are playing a substantial role in these decisions. For example, Mercer Island has won state the past two years and has qualified a team to the TOC for four straight years and the coach was laid off/the program was collapsed into the drama program because the school didn't feel like paying for it. Its a lot easier to provide backing/justifications for local tournaments etc than it is to get support for traveling several students around the country almost every weekend of the year.

No, I promise you that rule is not just for my school, it was an IHSAA decision that affects all clubs and sports in the state. I don't know if they are going to actually be able to enforce it, but I know that Todeschi says she's only letting us go somewhere once. I think it's just as dumb as everybody else, trust me...

I've gone through every bulletin and press release that the IHSAA has put out in the past 6 months and I can't find any sign of a rule regarding travel.

So what was the supposed rule exactly?

It's the Idaho you're stuck in.

im not saying bad, just different. and having met montana/colorado/wyoming debaters at camp, I realize that were actually not that bad off.

I've started to realize that myself. While we may not be in an ideal situation, it's nice to be able to have some kind of freedom with argumentation and debate in general. The more I think about it, it seems like for every shitty judge we get, we do get a few good ones, which is something some kids can't say they get.

Count the few blessings we have, Idaho.

I've started to realize that myself. While we may not be in an ideal situation, it's nice to be able to have some kind of freedom with argumentation and debate in general. The more I think about it, it seems like for every shitty judge we get, we do get a few good ones, which is something some kids can't say they get.

Count the few blessings we have, Idaho.

Amen.

Hunter, once again, you are spot on. We complain alot about our debating circumstances, but when you really stop and think about it its not to shabby. We have quite a few legit judges, and some who may not be super great but they love debate so its still good. We may not be as hardcore as other places, but if we were would all of us be friends like we are? And you can run pretty much anything when you want and we have fun debating. My two favorite things about debate are the fact that in-round its not just serious and hate the other people you can have some fun, and second that you make so many friends.

Hunter, once again, you are spot on. We complain alot about our debating circumstances, but when you really stop and think about it its not to shabby. We have quite a few legit judges, and some who may not be super great but they love debate so its still good. We may not be as hardcore as other places, but if we were would all of us be friends like we are? And you can run pretty much anything when you want and we have fun debating. My two favorite things about debate are the fact that in-round its not just serious and hate the other people you can have some fun, and second that you make so many friends.

spoken like a true Mr. Rogers.

Haha shit i dont know if this nickname is a good thing or bad...No i cant sing haha. So i should get a red sweater for debate tourneys is what your saying weedon? That would go well with my red hair =P

• Downvote 1