patriotsdebate

Best in Idaho

have a mentioned that I hate your coach as a judge?

after the fucking 2NC he fills out his ballot, and then just wanders around the room looking at shit.

hahahahahahahahahaha...............i'm terribly sorry :D I never knew he even judged. Wait are you talking about the red head guy? cuz he is just our assistant and never does anything. mr.clayton the real coach is usually in the tab room.

no, he's like gray haired I'm pretty sure. I've never had him personally, but our JV gets him all the time.

I dont think thats our coach. Our coach is a really tall and big guy. Mr.clayton. He is almost always doing something in the tab room. Are you thinking the teton coach? I heard at state the teton coach did that.

I dont think thats our coach. Our coach is a really tall and big guy. Mr.clayton. He is almost always doing something in the tab room. Are you thinking the teton coach? I heard at state the teton coach did that.

mabey, but I swear he had your guys team motto on this hoodie his wears.

mabey, but I swear he had your guys team motto on this hoodie his wears.

I dont think he even has a team hoodie. ours last year were black and yellow and had some jfk quote on them. This years are so gay. I didnt even get one. But ya i dont think that is him.

• Downvote 1

ya. i had good ole dan barrett at state. that stupid fuck. that guy should not be allowed anywhere near the activity. if i see him next year, im gonna punch him in the head.

• Downvote 1

ya. i had good ole dan barrett at state. that stupid fuck. that guy should not be allowed anywhere near the activity. if i see him next year, im gonna punch him in the head.

how bout the nuts?

and thanks for the name clarification.

• Downvote 1

how bout the nuts?

and thanks for the name clarification.

Haha ya. I didnt think it was my coach. Our assistant (not this year though) was a no flow, but mr clayton never judges. The worst we had at state was probably the guy who talked to himself the whole time. Or the girl who texted the whole time.

And Evac you neg rep'd me for saying our sweaters are gay. what the heck man? really?

Edited by BHS_debater
wtf?

Haha ya. I didnt think it was my coach. Our assistant (not this year though) was a no flow, but mr clayton never judges. The worst we had at state was probably the guy who talked to himself the whole time. Or the girl who texted the whole time.

And Evac you neg rep'd me for saying our sweaters are gay. what the heck man? really?

ya. dan barrett coaches for teton. which is in who the hell cares idaho.

which is in who the hell cares idaho.

Dude seriously! We were camping this past weekend and they were rock chipping the road so we took the long way home through tetonia and victor and driggs (we were camping in swan valley) and those three towns would suck to live in. There is NOTHING there man.

I'm a Utah debater but randomly felt the need to put in my tidbit. Obviously this is a very subjective list, im just going off of debates i've had with Hillcrest, Blackfoot and Capital, plus being at camp with Jessica, and since i've never met this "Wang" person she/he is not on the list.

Best judge: Odekirk

Best coach: Aaron Hoge, the coach at Snake River, and my cousin. (I hear they have some pretty awesomely mediocre congress, can you spell legit?)

Best squad/school: I'd say Eagle

Best team: Eagle

Best aff team: The common consensus is Blackfoot but i've only seen them on the neg

Best neg team: Capital

Best kritik debater: Chaz

Best straight-up policy debater: i'll say JHawk from what i've seen

Most persuasive speaker: Chaz

Fastest debater: Jessica is pretty dang quick

Best debater overall: not enough reference

The best team next year: Eagle if Wang is as good or better than Jessica that is my bet.

A big reason why i filled out my subjective list is because i wanted to comment on this big East v. West thing thats going on. I just think its stupid that youre having this debate i=to be quite frank. Its fine to compare dibaters and occasionally even teams but you should do it in a constructive way and not in a way that divides your state like this. Obviously im not an expert at Idaho debate (as you can see above), but it seems to me, although i could be wrong, that you guys are more trying to tear down the opposing side of the state instead of working to get better as a whole. Sure you guys have way different theories on what policy debate should look like and what arguments are best, but its so much harder to get better as a whole state if your not willing to be constructive and feed off eachother. Thats one thing i love about Utah debate, that although a lot of us don't get along perfectly our teams always work together and feed off eachother in a constructive way to help the state as a whole when at national and even local tournaments. We become "Team Utah". and i don't know of a state that has these divisions like you guys do, it seems to me that it just hurts your productivity. Like i said, i might be taking your bantering too far but i've noticed how your debaters look down at others depending on where their from in the state, even very recently. Both sides have good teams, Blackfoot has consistantly done well the last couple years including this one, and Eagle, Capital and boise all have a lot of success too. I just think Idaho is at a crossroads where you could consistantly have teams at the TOC or just stay where your at now, and cooperation and unity might be the deciding factor. I think Chaz (whoever he debates with, or if he does), Blackfoot, Eagle, and from what i hear Hillcrest and Boise, all have a legitimate chance to qualify next year, i'd hate to see it not happen.

I'm a Utah debater but randomly felt the need to put in my tidbit. Obviously this is a very subjective list, im just going off of debates i've had with Hillcrest, Blackfoot and Capital, plus being at camp with Jessica, and since i've never met this "Wang" person she/he is not on the list.

Best coach: Aaron Hoge, the coach at Snake River, and my cousin. (I hear they have some pretty awesomely mediocre congress, can you spell legit?)

Best aff team: The common consensus is Blackfoot but i've only seen them on the neg

The best team next year: Eagle if Wang is as good or better than Jessica that is my bet.

A big reason why i filled out my subjective list is because i wanted to comment on this big East v. West thing thats going on. I just think its stupid that youre having this debate i=to be quite frank. Its fine to compare dibaters and occasionally even teams but you should do it in a constructive way and not in a way that divides your state like this. Obviously im not an expert at Idaho debate (as you can see above), but it seems to me, although i could be wrong, that you guys are more trying to tear down the opposing side of the state instead of working to get better as a whole. Sure you guys have way different theories on what policy debate should look like and what arguments are best, but its so much harder to get better as a whole state if your not willing to be constructive and feed off eachother. Thats one thing i love about Utah debate, that although a lot of us don't get along perfectly our teams always work together and feed off eachother in a constructive way to help the state as a whole when at national and even local tournaments. We become "Team Utah". and i don't know of a state that has these divisions like you guys do, it seems to me that it just hurts your productivity. Like i said, i might be taking your bantering too far but i've noticed how your debaters look down at others depending on where their from in the state, even very recently. Both sides have good teams, Blackfoot has consistantly done well the last couple years including this one, and Eagle, Capital and boise all have a lot of success too. I just think Idaho is at a crossroads where you could consistantly have teams at the TOC or just stay where your at now, and cooperation and unity might be the deciding factor. I think Chaz (whoever he debates with, or if he does), Blackfoot, Eagle, and from what i hear Hillcrest and Boise, all have a legitimate chance to qualify next year, i'd hate to see it not happen.

As much as i wanted to just yell at him for posting in the idaho thread, i kinda agree with what he said...my only problem with it is that whats the point in debating then if you know exactly what to expect when you debate someone cuz you prepped with them all year?

Thats the point. if you both know what the other is running, then there is no advantage either way. it just makes for much better debates. and i know you go to tournaments with the objective to win and that won't change if everyone works together. Overall if your looking for success at a local level then yeah, maybe you can win a couple more rounds by being secretive, but if you want to actually be successful on a national level your going to need to work together

good thoughts... but even better spelling.

I just read this entire thread and it is actually really appealing to me. I did not know of such a big policy debate community in Idaho. That being said I am puzzled (sp?) I do not knwo of a team from idaho at the TOC or outrounds of NFL (correct me if i am wrong). This community seems legit. I am curious even more to this Eagle high school. Everyone on this thread has seemed to make it unanimous that they are the best in the sate, how come outside of the state we havent heard of them? Are they not a traveling team?

I just read this entire thread and it is actually really appealing to me. I did not know of such a big policy debate community in Idaho. That being said I am puzzled (sp?) I do not knwo of a team from idaho at the TOC or outrounds of NFL (correct me if i am wrong). This community seems legit. I am curious even more to this Eagle high school. Everyone on this thread has seemed to make it unanimous that they are the best in the sate, how come outside of the state we havent heard of them? Are they not a traveling team?

(disclaimer: I'm not from Idaho. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

My guess is that it comes down to budget and staff commitment. Eagle is in western Idaho, making them pretty isolated when it comes to TOC tournaments. The closest tournaments are Whitman (about 150 miles away), Gonzaga (about 200 miles away), and Alta (about 370 miles away). Now, none of those are problems if the team has the budget to fly to their tournaments. Being a public school, though, that funding is definitely not going to come from the school. It can get pretty expensive pretty fast for parents to finance plane flights all over the country, in addition to hotels, any additional travel fees (renting a van, probably?), food, etc.

That means the only option is driving. Well, lugging tubs in a van 150+ miles to go to a debate tournament is not something many adults are willing to take on. Plus, even if they DID go to those three tournaments (they may, I don't know), that's only three TOC tournaments, leaving them with Idaho-style debate for the rest of the year. No disrespect to the Idaho debaters who have posted on this forum, clearly you guys know what you're doing, but the consensus seems to be that Idaho debate is pretty conservative--things like speed, kritiks, (counterplans maybe even?) are discouraged if not downright worthy of a ballot against the offending team. This is how it is in my region, which is why I rarely debate within about 100 miles of where I live.

Anyway, driving is only a viable option if you have a VERY dedicated adult (or more than one, depending on how many teams/tubs you're taking) to actually drive. That adult has to be able to see the benefit to TOC style debate and be generous enough with his/her time to dedicate a weekend plus friday plus monday if they break to the debate team. That's just not a commitment many teams can muster. Especially since in regions like mine (and I assume Idaho), it's pretty rare to have a coach specifically for policy. More often, there is one coach for all activities, who is a regular teacher and prefers a much more conservative, lay-style debate. This type of coach is far less likely to see the point in driving however many miles to go to one tournament, when there are non-TOC tournaments in much more manageable distances.

Things can change, of course, though. There are some college teams in the area who are quite good (ISU, Whitman, U of Wyoming, Gonzaga, though that's a little farther away), and if they start producing fired-up coaches who want to stay in the area, it's certainly possible that we could see some really good Idaho teams on the national circuit. For now, though, the lack of a real TOC culture in the region seems like an insurmountable barrier, except for maybe a one-time team that just really gets fired up and has the support from parents or the school to go for it.

tl;dr, lack of money, nat circuit infrastructure make things really

(disclaimer: I'm not from Idaho. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

My guess is that it comes down to budget and staff commitment. Eagle is in western Idaho, making them pretty isolated when it comes to TOC tournaments. The closest tournaments are Whitman (about 150 miles away), Gonzaga (about 200 miles away), and Alta (about 370 miles away). Now, none of those are problems if the team has the budget to fly to their tournaments. Being a public school, though, that funding is definitely not going to come from the school. It can get pretty expensive pretty fast for parents to finance plane flights all over the country, in addition to hotels, any additional travel fees (renting a van, probably?), food, etc.

That means the only option is driving. Well, lugging tubs in a van 150+ miles to go to a debate tournament is not something many adults are willing to take on. Plus, even if they DID go to those three tournaments (they may, I don't know), that's only three TOC tournaments, leaving them with Idaho-style debate for the rest of the year. No disrespect to the Idaho debaters who have posted on this forum, clearly you guys know what you're doing, but the consensus seems to be that Idaho debate is pretty conservative--things like speed, kritiks, (counterplans maybe even?) are discouraged if not downright worthy of a ballot against the offending team. This is how it is in my region, which is why I rarely debate within about 100 miles of where I live.

Anyway, driving is only a viable option if you have a VERY dedicated adult (or more than one, depending on how many teams/tubs you're taking) to actually drive. That adult has to be able to see the benefit to TOC style debate and be generous enough with his/her time to dedicate a weekend plus friday plus monday if they break to the debate team. That's just not a commitment many teams can muster. Especially since in regions like mine (and I assume Idaho), it's pretty rare to have a coach specifically for policy. More often, there is one coach for all activities, who is a regular teacher and prefers a much more conservative, lay-style debate. This type of coach is far less likely to see the point in driving however many miles to go to one tournament, when there are non-TOC tournaments in much more manageable distances.

Things can change, of course, though. There are some college teams in the area who are quite good (ISU, Whitman, U of Wyoming, Gonzaga, though that's a little farther away), and if they start producing fired-up coaches who want to stay in the area, it's certainly possible that we could see some really good Idaho teams on the national circuit. For now, though, the lack of a real TOC culture in the region seems like an insurmountable barrier, except for maybe a one-time team that just really gets fired up and has the support from parents or the school to go for it.

tl;dr, lack of money, nat circuit infrastructure make things really tough for most teams.

Idaho Debate Code does not permit teams to compete in more then ten tournaments a year if they wish to compete at the state tournament.

oh and a new rule next year is that a public school team may only compete in one out of state tournament which means we have no chance of a toc bid :( sad day...

i think thats the policy and if its not its that we can only compete in one toc bid tournament

we can leave the valley once a year and the state every two years. it's really really really stupid, because for those of us who would like to debate in college, it's impossible to gain a reputation on the national circuit that would help get you into a good school when the state bans debating on the national circuit. I wish there was some way to appeal to the commission or however the decision was made that set this rule, because I don't think it's fair that they've banned going independent. like, at maximum, I understand setting limits on school participation to minimize the inherent inequality in the activity, but banning going above and beyond what is necessary to succeed in the state doesn't seem like something they should be encouraging.

does anyone have any official evidence of this rule change? if so, can you link me the amendment to the Idaho Debate Code please? I dont see it on the Idaho Activities website...

if a team in idaho were to travel witha team from a different state. like if they ahd a friend in one of the more active sates like cali. texas, georgia...would there code permit them to go travel with that school if that school were ti supervise/ help with costs some way? would that be a way around the one a year rule?

Oh my god. Is this rule seriously true? God why dont they just chop our nuts off at tie us to their beds? 10 tourneys only, 1 out of state, plus all of the other idaho bullshit we have. This is getting beyond ridiculous guys. Is there a way we can put together some kind of petition to get some of this changed? I mean come on, almost every debater in the state hates the idc so i know we could get at least 3/4 of debaters to sign it even if its an email one.